wipika style quick release

Forum for kitesurfers
edmis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby edmis » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:15 pm

nobody considers wipika quick release with pin as an option. i have no experience with it but i like the general idea of it. it is as simple as this safety device should be. i have got one last year wipika chicken loop to play with and i know that the original pin bends under load, but i can replace it with stronger pin. what else is wrong with it?

edmunds

NIKS
Rare Poster

Postby NIKS » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:26 pm

I THINK IT IS SIMPLY NOT QUICK ENOUGH.
NOTHING WRONG BUT IN CASE OF NEED, YOU SHOULD RELEASE IN A FRACTION OF SECOND.
HAVE YOU NEVER CONSIDER THAT ANY WEIGHT YOU HAVE WE ARE JUST LEAVES HOOKED FROM OUR BELLY?.
WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG WE DO NOT KEEP FLYING IN A "STANDARD" POSITION, AT ALL.
SO QUICK RELEASE MUST BE FIRT OF ALL QUICK AND AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO OUR HANDS.
CHEERS
NIKS

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:42 pm

well .. i wouldn't 'replace' it on my own and leave this to guys who know exactly what they do.
all safety gear you wanna use should be load-tested!

i suppose buying a wipi-bar'd be better ...

Den
Rare Poster

Postby Den » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:50 pm

I just bought a Wipica chicken loop quick release to repalce the chicken loop on my Fone bar so I am very interested in this topic. Niks says"SO QUICK RELEASE MUST BE FIRT OF ALL QUICK AND AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO OUR HANDS. This quick release is sitting on the chicken loop. How much closer can it be? Any other pros or cons?
Thanks
Dennis

uipko
Rare Poster

Postby uipko » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:05 pm

i think its a good safety, If you use a rotating shackle then you dont know exactly where the releas rope is. The depoerloop is always at the same place and easy to use.

Greetz Uipko

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:18 pm

After seeing the Wipika solution, I came up with a better mousetrap. It basically works in the same fashion, being a modified pelican hook, however, instead of a measly pin and velcro try this. use a modified cunningham cleat, 1/4" rope , and a tubeto cover the pelican. Hold tube in place with small bungee. It releases under tremendous load easily, but will not inadvertantly release. I will get a picture of it and post. Bottom line, simple easy to use, and bombproof. period

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:35 am

a picture would be very great, cause i know nothing about cleats and pelicans. i am not
english...

regards,
edmuds

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:11 am

I have used the 2001 version, since it was on a testbar before I bought my 2002 bar. The 2002 version looks way better. The pin is a lot thicker and won't bend and the RED handle(instead of a red ball) has velcro on it so it won't release accidently. The handle can be grapped way easier as the red ball. It also is always at the same place so you always know where it is.

Looks a lot like the Takoon setup by the way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”