Garfunkle
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

C Kite questions

Postby Garfunkle » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi,

I'm new to kiting. I've taken a couple of lessons on snow. I have an 04 Flexifoil 12m (c kite) with Flexifoil lines. I have a few questions about this kite.

1. What kind of wind ranges can I use my kite in? I weight 220LBS. Does it vary on water vs. snow?

2. Whats the best/easiest way to relaunch the kite?

Any other tips/tricks about this kite would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BizB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 175
Local Beach: Gunpowder, Matapeak, Triton
Style: Freestyle/Big Air
Gear: Slingshot RPM/RPX/SST/FUEL
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: C Kite questions

Postby BizB » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Wind ranges will depend on your board size in addition to your weight and kite size. When I was new, I would always check on what sizes the other guys were riding that day. Then, I'd base my decision on the answers that I got from the guys that were close to my size.

Another good rule for C kites, if you happen to ride near a lot of windsurfers, is to double the windsurfer's sail size to determine the size of kite you'll need. Of course, that's going to depend on board volume, too.

The best/easiest way to launch that kite is with assistance from a buddy who's familiar with kite launching procedures.

Garfunkle
Rare Poster

Postby Garfunkle » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for your input!

Does anyone have any tips for self launching a c-kite?

CorpusKiter15
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wildcat, J.P. Luby, Port A, Packery, Rockport, North Beach (Corpus Christi, TX)
Favorite Beaches: Wildcat Park in Portland, TX
Style: Progressive
Gear: 07 Vegas, 07 Crazyfly, DaKine Tabu

Postby CorpusKiter15 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:44 am

A couple lessons shouldnt warrant anyone to self launch a kite. After a couple lessons a lot of people still need tons of kite flying time to get down the do's and dont's of flying the kite. Many still get boosted with an assisted launch so thinking about self launching a C kite by the 5th line is probably not the best idea for a beginner. Heres a tip- buy an 07 or 08 bow kite either new or off of iKitesurf and if you dont have the means to do so than have a fellow kiter assist your launches for the time being and after you become comforable with your kite, then ask someone to show you how to self launch your C kite.

An 07 or 08 bow kite will GREATLY increase your learning curve. A cheap used 04 C kite is going to make it rough on a beginner, not to mention that much more dangerous...the kite is 4 years old and in the kiting world...that's ancient.

CorpusKiter15
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wildcat, J.P. Luby, Port A, Packery, Rockport, North Beach (Corpus Christi, TX)
Favorite Beaches: Wildcat Park in Portland, TX
Style: Progressive
Gear: 07 Vegas, 07 Crazyfly, DaKine Tabu

Postby CorpusKiter15 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:47 am

I forgot you're on snow...sorry, I kiteboard on water so technique is probably different.

Search youtube for self launching a C kite by its 5th line, Id explain it but it wouldnt do any good. You really need someone to show you first

Garfunkle
Rare Poster

Postby Garfunkle » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:04 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out on youtube. I always get someone to help me launch but I was thinking for when I crash the kite and am a fair bit away from anyone else.

SheetzFaced
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL
South Padre Island
Favorite Beaches: Bald Point
Hatteras
Dog Beaches Florida
South Padre Island
Alligator Point
Style: Strapless, Kiteskim
Gear: No-Bridles

Postby SheetzFaced » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:21 pm

self launching c's are definitely easier than bows. no bridles that you have to worry about wrapping around the tips of your kite.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Your gonna need a 5th line to relaunch a C easily on snow. I don't know if yours is 4 or 5 line, but I rigged a 5th on my first c kite and it was easy enough, as long as there is a decent attachment point on the kite.

Without a 5th: in plenty of wind you can rock the kite back and forth by alternatively pulling in on the steering (rear) lines. You have to practice it a little and get the kite to roll up on one tip. Its not easy, and a 5th line helps you get the kite to tip onto its back a little so when you pull in one rear line the tip catches wind and pulls that tip up and the kite onto its side as it drags the kite to one side of the window. In light air without a 5th your pooched. Practice tons on snow before you tackle doing it in water. There will usually be more wind when your on water so that will help you out. Getting out of your board/skis and walking to the edge of the window while maintaining tension in your lines will help you figure it out. You can step toward the kite to get it more on its back or pull in a little more 5th line to do it, but thats what has to happen for a good C kite relaunch.

Current 4 line hybrids have relaunch dialed and you simply pull in on one rear line and up it goes. Really worth it for those starting out. If your persistent though you'll get it dialed with your flexi and be that much better for it. Mucking around on snow is a great way to teach yourself tons about your kite. Time well spent once you pick up the skills. Relaunching C kites, especially 4 line is a skill thats all. Once learned its doable, just harder than what the current kites require.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:59 am

I'm surprised they didn't show you this when you took your lesson.

Ditto what Starsky said.

You'll want to stay hooked into your harness and let the bar all the way out (depowered) until the kite is ready to fly. To get it off the ground you'll need to pull in the bar a bit to power the kite up, it takes a bit of feel, and at least 20km of wind.

I would pick a 15-25km wind to practice if possible. It's not hard if you have the 5th line tuned right. etc.

I just started using my c-kites on the snow this year and they work fantastic, my kites are 05 and 06 so you don't need state of the art kites to do this.

Good luck :)

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:58 am

SheetzFaced wrote:self launching c's are definitely easier than bows. no bridles that you have to worry about wrapping around the tips of your kite.
Say again? How can you get any easier than self-launching/re-launching a bow? Yeah, those bridles are ALWAYS getting in the way... I'm not sure how I manage.

Return to “Kitesurfing”