Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eastern Idaho Kite Trippin'

Forum for kitesurfers
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Eastern Idaho Kite Trippin'

Postby Noahpz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 am

Another road trip has come and gone and, all told, it was another great week of snow and wind. We ventured south of our home in Montana to the west side of the Tetons. We mixed it up throughout the week: some x-c touring, some lift-served alpine, some skinning up to kite high country and the easiest (and sickest) of all – park and ride.

Our final day we awoke to a fat foot of fresh and we wasted no time in packing up and heading west to the killer terrain on Hwy 33. I had met the owners of the land last month when kiting in the area and they were genuinely glad to see us pull up and head out for another kite session. Clearing winds started out at a smooth 15 mph and built through the day to around 20.

The terrain is vast - many, many square miles – treeless and rolling – nothing is flat and level, there is always some angle with steeper sections near the hill tops. Mixed in are the occasional wind lips and kickers, giving the place a never-ending snowkite nirvana quality. Super smooth transitions, steep rollers, limitless powder – I can’t help it – I love this place!

My son Theo was ripping on an 8m Manta and I was lit up on a 12. For hours we followed each other, letting miles and miles of untracked powder fly under our skis. When he had finally had enough, I set off alone. I crossed highway and kited upwind for another couple of hours, working over new terrain features and getting further and further away from the highway. I eventually made my way over to Canyon Creek Butte, the highest point in the area and enjoyed a huge 360 degree view from the top. This place never ends....

See ya out there,

Noah

Click on the attached image below for a better view!
Attachments
Canyon Creek.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”