Which one-directional board?

Forum for kitesurfers
luv2glyd
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which one-directional board?

Postby luv2glyd » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm down in Orlando, FL and with the winds in the summer in Cocoa Beach over here in the 8 to 12 mph range, was thinking of getting a 19M Speed 2 and a one-directional board.

What are some good manufactureres out there? And what would be a good size board to get? The waves here are anywere from 3 to 5 ft at most and I weigh 210 lbs.

Also, what is the maximum size board I can check in as luggage on an airplane?

Thanks!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Which one-directional board?

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Not smaller then 6' for your weight. If you can find one of the older Naish 7' or even 8' go for it. They can double as a regular surf board which is perfect at Cocoa Beach. You can pick'em up for as low as $150.

JP Kites
Rare Poster
Style: Surf
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JP Kites » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey,
I just got off the water on a great wave session!
I've been riding a 5'8" Liquid Force directional for a couple of months now and I love it! I know they make a 6' version too and I think that would be better suited for you. I haven't really tried many other brands, but these boards are made just like a regular surf board except that you can add or remove straps.

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 am

Just find an old surfboard that suits your weight and strap it up. DON`T get something to small! Size is your friend in the lighter winds.

You could have a look at these.... Surftech is the devil but they`re strong......
http://www.surftech.com/shaper.phtml?ty ... thumbInc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here`s the one I use for the light days. 7'0" and 3" thick. I ride a 10m Pulse and can ride that combo when the boys at my beach are just starting on their twintips.
7'0s.jpg
7'0s.jpg (33.06 KiB) Viewed 2851 times

fly123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern Illawarra Beaches
Favorite Beaches: Yet to find
Style: wave
Gear: Rev 11

Postby fly123 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:17 am

As everyone is pointing out, some size (floatation) will be an important factor in the light/mod winds. Any surfboard design will generally do, but your decision will be need to made if you want to ride with or without straps. Personally, I and most aussies go the strapless, so it gives you the freedom. Your call..

stunaite
Medium Poster

Postby stunaite » Tue May 13, 2008 12:01 am

I have tried LiquidForce Quad 5'10". Very easy and it is an upwindmachine. Of course in moderate to strong wind it is not so easy to control as a narrower board. I had a F-One signature and this board is very far about accebility and pleasure.

I just bought the LiquidForce. The pads of this board are sh$%#t. Too hard that I have a pain in my heel.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 am

I second that. The LF Quad is very easy especially for jibing. It doesn't move while you switch your feet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”