Kite and live

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
kite1498
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite and live

Postby kite1498 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:08 pm

I am Electrical Engineer, but I would say my situation is a bit unique. I would recommend for you to learn to program. You can write computer code and test it from anywhere.

Miche
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Miche » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 pm

I thought a lot about this topic too as I am coming around quite a bit with my job. And there are definitively many cool options available.

In the end it all depends on what is important to you, it's a trade off between different factors. If you go for the best kitesurfing all year round and want some warm water, Brazil is hard to beat. But if you can live at two different places and switch from season to season, you have many more options.

My list:
Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Boston (Cape Cod), Cumbuco, Tel Aviv, Cabarete, St. Moritz, Perth, San Francisco, Copenhagen.

If safety is a big topic for you, Cape Town, Cumbuco and Tel Aviv are probably not high on your list anymore...
If you need some cultured civilisation nearby, Cabarete is only in the list if you don't mind that the you need a plane to get to the next "real" city...
If you are not speaking Spanish or Danish, Buenos Aires resp. Copenhagen will not be the easiest place to live in then...
If you like a European lifestyle and many offers in regard to culture, Perth might not be the place for you...
If kitesurfing is much more important to you than to be near a cool city, Boston/Cape Cod falls out of the list...
If you are not able to snowkite and need to watch your budget, St. Moritz is not the place to go...
If you hate cold water, SF sucks. I could go on and on...

But still, those places I just mentioned are pretty high on my list.

For me, the best choice right now would be a split between Cape Town and St. Moritz as these places are almost in the same time zone and are both pretty cool. But yes, there are definitively places with warmer water around as well... ;-)

tiger20
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tiger20 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:39 am

Hawaii is epic.

Maui, Oahu or Kauai all work well for kiting. LOTS to do when no wind.

Same with the Caribbean.

kite1498
Rare Poster

Postby kite1498 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:54 pm

thanks, miche, that was pretty helpful.

DanKiteDan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: All over the world
Gear: 2008 AirRush Vapor 10m
2008 AirRush Vapor 14m

Crazy Fly Bulldozer

Postby DanKiteDan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:56 am

I am in Kind of the same boat as you. I picked Cabarete for these reasons.

99% of of the People I met when I visited where cool and from all over the world
Cost of living is low ($3 gets you a very good lunch)
You can get drunk for what 1 drink would cost you in New York or Miami
Cheap easy flights back to the states
Airport is so close by (20 min)
No Need for a car
I am buying a condo in a five star resort being built right on the beach for less then you can find anyplace in the states
Walk out your front door and kite
Wind blows allot
Night Life is good
You can get by with not knowing much Spanish (I plan on learning more once I make the move)

When people say Tel Aviv is not safe I do not agree with that. In Tel Aviv you do not need to worry so much about getting robed or mugged or things like that. But the wind In Tel Aviv I hear is not that great all year. An amazing place to live with some great food and night life.

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Postby TheKiteLife » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I just spent some time in Maui. Seemed to offer good wind, nice waves and if youre into mt.biking, some good riding.

I suggest you plan on having 2-3 places you spend 4-6months at each. That way you can change things up and all that.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 am

You should travel a bit more and find out for yourself what it is that works for you.
I would not trade my place for any other in the world, and i have moved around a lot .
Nico

Return to “Travel”