gone down the rasta route :cool2:
i,ll let u know how i get on!!

prep
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flexifoil launch the ION3 - the Hybrid with Teeth

Postby prep » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:39 am

a 6m needs a hell of a lot of wind to jump nicely...I think you will find choppy onshore conditions make it very hard to jump on any kite. cross shore launch off a wave or flat water is what you need.

Blue Ice
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton
Gear: Flexifoil Ion3 7m + 8.5m
FOne Bandit 13m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Blue Ice » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi guys, i flew the 8.5m, 10.5m and the 12.5m last season and i have to say that the 8.5m was definately my favourite! The 12.5m was a fantatsic kite aswell tbh but the 8.5m just had the edge on jumping as higher winds for me are alot more fun!

I had the 8.5m out when its been gusting to 50mph and tbh i felt fine on her!
But i flew the 6m and it was totally a different kettle of fish here!
I think i spoke to you on Kiteboarder about this issue Skyte but im still sticking with what ive said about the 6m.
It could be because you weigh less than me and the 6m to you is like the 8.5m to me!??
But imo, the 6m is just a kite, where you can go out in nearly any wind conditions and feel safe on... not a jumping kite! (The 8.5m is the boosting weapon of choice by a long shot!) -Totally different to the 6m!
There is hardly any boost and float on the 6m but she is extremely stable and most people would probably want a kite like this for that reason in extremely harsh winds!

Anyway, ive ordered my Ion3's 7m, 8.5m and 12.5m so ill be telling you all what i reckon to them once ive had quite a few sessions on them!

Si

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:51 am

I would agree with ya BlueIce... I preferred the 8.5 Ion2 to the 6m Ion2. The 8.5 Ion2 is one of my all time favourite kites! I like the Ion3 even more :-)

Hope you like the 3s too!

si-fly2
Medium Poster

Postby si-fly2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:59 am

Blue Ice, I would total agree with you the kite just does not jump!!....but I will keep it for those UK winter storm days where the wind can gust an extra 25mph on a 30mph day with my local beaches having onshore winds the 6m does feel much safer when on the beach. And our cold winds do have such a punch!!

Si.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skyte » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 pm

I was out today on my 7m Ion3 again... The wind report at RAF Valley showed Force7... just over 30knots... I thought it was more at times, but that what it said. I was totally maxed and I don't know how high I went but I do know it's the highest I've been...

Higher than this...
http://www.skyte.co.uk/WestshoreBig9Web.wmv

but not as high as this...
http://www.skyte.co.uk/Ali_B_Big_Saturday.wmv

I came in after about 30mins tho because I was getting lofted as I changed direction and sometimes I couldn't hold my edge anymore.

Today was 6m Ion2 day... 3friends were out on theirs all day long and no they weren't going very big (big enough to be fun) but they were blasting round enjoying kiting in shitty gusty conditions. I guess this is what the 6m is for... days where a 7m is gonna take you to the moon but be a bit of a handful.

Horses for courses?

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:53 pm

skyte wrote:I was out today on my 7m Ion3 again... The wind report at RAF Valley showed Force7... just over 30knots... I thought it was more at times, but that what it said. I was totally maxed and I don't know how high I went but I do know it's the highest I've been...

1.) Higher than this...
http://www.skyte.co.uk/WestshoreBig9Web.wmv

2.) but not as high as this...
http://www.skyte.co.uk/Ali_B_Big_Saturday.wmv

I came in after about 30mins tho because I was getting lofted as I changed direction and sometimes I couldn't hold my edge anymore.

Today was 6m Ion2 day... 3friends were out on theirs all day long and no they weren't going very big (big enough to be fun) but they were blasting round enjoying kiting in shitty gusty conditions. I guess this is what the 6m is for... days where a 7m is gonna take you to the moon but be a bit of a handful.

Horses for courses?
1.) in 4line or 5line mode?
fine jump!

2.) old one

rock on,
Thomas

skyte
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skyte » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:14 am

They're both old jumps! the first was on a 9m Fusion :-D Just wanted to show how high yesterday felt!

I was flying in 4line mode yesterday... not flown the Ion3s much in 5line mode... I flew quite a few Ion2 prototypes in 5line mode and preferred them that way, but have since just been flying the Ion3s on 4lines. I did try a 8.5 proto Ion3 in Tarifa on 5lines and thought it boosted higher, but I've not spent enough time with them on 5lines to really understand the difference. Slightly less depower on 5lines so not so good for conditions like yesterday!

Anyone out there been flying Ion2s on 5lines?

Blue Ice
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton
Gear: Flexifoil Ion3 7m + 8.5m
FOne Bandit 13m

Postby Blue Ice » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Yo Skyte, i was out yesterday on the Ion3 10.5m in 5 line mode testing it. (Demo kite still)
She actually flew loads better on 5 line mode than last years Ion2 which i didnt like at all on 5 line mode!
I still think atm that i prefer the 4 line simplicity but times may change and atleast i have the option of knowing that both 4 line and 5 line fly really nice!
The 5 line mode seemed more punchy in the gusts than the 4 line mode but maybe the weather conditions got gustier in the aftrenoon when i switched to 5 line mode... who knows!
I never really got any real huge jumps yesterday as the wind was very on off and gusty and tbh there wasnt a lot of lift in the wind...
I will definately practice on both settings now though and switch when i feel like the wind isnt as gusty!

Ps. Oh and Ali's vid is one of my faves of all time! :wink:

si-fly2
Medium Poster

Postby si-fly2 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi guys, I also got out yesterday on my 9 Ion1 and had a ball to start with but as the wind increased and got gustier my jumps started to suffer. So going back to the 6m and jumping maybe alot of the lack of height is due to the conditions I flew it in. When I get to try it in better conditions I will report back.

Si.

Return to “Kitesurfing”