Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flexifoil launch the ION3 - the Hybrid with Teeth

Forum for kitesurfers
skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Re: Flexifoil launch the ION3 - the Hybrid with Teeth

Postby skyte » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:03 pm

I think the 5 line option is perfect for riders who are used to a C kite on 5lines but want to change to hybrids... If you get used to the 4line mode, the Ion3 still gives plenty of grunt for wakestyle tricks (OK not as much as the AHPro, but what does?), boosts really well and has the added depower for control if it's gusty.

If you want to switch quickly from 5 to 4 line to compare, leave both bridles on and (if possible) have 2 bars, one set up on 5lines, one as 4line. As long as you have an assisted launch to make sure the bridles aren't tangled, you can switch the bars quickly and go from one to the other. This is how we test different prototypes on different configurations. Short 5-10min sessions allow you to really notice the difference and by switching a few times, you get to eliminate changing wind conditions from effecting what you perceive from the kite. (Either that or do some testing in Brazil where the wind is nice and constant!)

giuseppe
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby giuseppe » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 pm

To all Ion3 users,
we tried the Ion3 12.5m2 in 14 knots using the full power set up (upper knot on the back lines) in 5-line mode. The first thing that was obvious to all was how slack the back lines were. We made another two knots 4cm higher on both sides and the kite became responsive. As the wind picked up we changed the set up back to the previous knot since most of the riders were overpowered when unhooking. To all of us (4 riders using Ion2s in 5 - line mode and AH Pros) the feeling on the bar was to light for our taste, compared to Ion2, more like Atom's. Secondly, when unhooking in 18-20 knots the kite had a constant pull giving you the feeling you could never turn the bar around. This year the options you have to tune the kite are double as many. Not clear to me yet whether this is a good thing or not. If anyone of you has any suggestion on how to trim the kite please don't hesitate to reply.

YNWA
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby YNWA » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm

had the 08 atom 9m out today gusting 25-35 mph
but superb water state
kite was super stable , a really easy kite to use , highly recommened!
just felt the kite lacked a bit of punch in the jumps.
i,ve been using airush vapors all last year and they do get u airborne . :o
is the ion 2 8.5 a better option for boosting ?

trouty
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cornwall
Gear: Ion2 8.5 / 10.5 / Amp s 9/12/16 North Rhinos 10/12/16

Postby trouty » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Yep ! :thumb: The Ion2 8.5 is "THE" kite in the whole range for boosting :D

Ive seen the vapours going huge tho :thumb:

Blue Ice
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton
Gear: Flexifoil Ion3 7m + 8.5m
FOne Bandit 13m

Postby Blue Ice » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Totally agree, the 8.5 is the best of the bunch! :thumb:

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:57 am

has anyone from the states that doesn't ride for flexi received their ion 3's yet? :roll: getting tired of waiting.......

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:15 am

YNWA wrote:got a 12.5 ion 3
on its way :rollgrin:
also a 9m atom 2 for the higher winds
gone down the rasta route :cool2:
i,ll let u know how i get on!!
any dread hairs on u yet ? :jump: :cool2:

RipItUp
Frequent Poster

Postby RipItUp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:25 am

Haven't flown one myself, but a friend of mine took delivery of his 08 Ion3's. His report was that the 12.5 was a bit faster than the 07 Ion2, and the bar pressure was significantly lighter. I too thought the 07 Ion 2 8.5 was a stellar kite, but it had too much bar pressure for my taste. I do hope the new Ion 3's have lighter bar pressure. The Ion2 8.5 also turned so nice and fast; you can just throw that kite around. It was super stable and boosted big air. I was less impressed by the larger sizes in the Ion2, as they were too slow for me, so I hope the Ion3 has light bar pressure and that the larger sizes turn and fly quicker than the 07 Ion2. I have yet to hear from people, other than my friend, who have flown both the Ion2 and now the Ion3 to compare the real differences between last year and the 08 Ion3. If someone has that information I would appreciate hearing what all the differences are.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:39 pm

still confused :?: does your friend live in the states and not ride for flexi? have any non-flexi riders in the us gotten their ion 3's yet? are they still stuck in customs? somebody that sells flexi please comment. thanks :allbegood:

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:07 pm

giuseppe wrote:To all Ion3 users,
we tried the Ion3 12.5m2 in 14 knots using the full power set up (upper knot on the back lines) in 5-line mode. The first thing that was obvious to all was how slack the back lines were. We made another two knots 4cm higher on both sides and the kite became responsive. As the wind picked up we changed the set up back to the previous knot since most of the riders were overpowered when unhooking. To all of us (4 riders using Ion2s in 5 - line mode and AH Pros) the feeling on the bar was to light for our taste, compared to Ion2, more like Atom's. Secondly, when unhooking in 18-20 knots the kite had a constant pull giving you the feeling you could never turn the bar around. This year the options you have to tune the kite are double as many. Not clear to me yet whether this is a good thing or not. If anyone of you has any suggestion on how to trim the kite please don't hesitate to reply.
That's interesting, I tried my Ion3 12.5 on Sunday in about 13-14knots. I used the middle knots on the rear pigtails first, then switched to the knots closest to the kite which were fine (the middle knots left the back lines a bit slack. Were you using a brand new bar? It's important that all the lines are the same length with the bar sheeted in and the depower strap set to full power. To be honest tho, on older bars, the front lines stretch which makes the back lines too tight if anything.

When the wind picked up and the riders became overpowered when unhooking, why not just use the centre line depower strap to adjust the trim?

Many people confuse the knots on the rear pigtails as power settings... with any brand of kite... this is not strictly the case. They simply control the degree to which you can sheet in the kite. Personally, I set mine so that with the bar pulled towards me (or when unhooked) and the depower strap at full power, the kite is just on the limit of being oversheeted when stood on the beach. In terms of line lengths, I believe this is different in different wind speeds. What Guiseppe has found is that in light winds, with the depower strap fully powered up and the bar sheeted right in, he didn't have enough line tension... easily fixed by tying an extra knot1 The big problem is if the rear pigtails are too short which can happen if you use an old bar with stretched front lines!

It is a personal preference though and easy enough to shorten the pigtails to however you prefer to have your kite set up. I would be worried if they were too short though!

BAR PRESSURE
Bar pressure on the Ion3s is lighter than the Ion2s. Personally I think it is one of the best balanced kites I have flown in terms of bar pressure... heavy enough to provide great feedback yet light enough to make it easy to steer. A friend (17stone - 238lb -107Kg) flew the Ion3 14.5m on his 139x41.5cm Delta at the weekend... I was on a 12.5m Ion3 (I'm 11.5stone - 161lb - 73Kg) and was on a 134x40cm Delta board. We were both blasting around in around 13-14knots. My friend on the 14.5Ion3 found it a huge improvement over the Ion2 and said he liked the way he could ride toeside and steer the kite and sheet in easily with one hand.

I think most people will be impressed with the turn speed and flying speed of the Ion3s in the larger sizes. (I hope so anyway!)

If you prefer the heavy bar pressure, use the slow turn speed connectors for the rear pigtails but be aware this means you require less bar input to turn the kite, but the input required will be heavier.

SPEED THROUGH THE AIR
The leading edge tube is thinner on the Ion3s and they are slightly higher aspect ratio. This makes them a bit faster through the air and gives them a slightly spikier boost.

PANEL CUT
The new panel cut looks cool, makes you more popular with the opposite sex and get's you 12.7% higher than previous panel cuts. Petrol is the fastest colour scheme, then hulk, then rasta which is quite laid back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”