Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big Surf Unhooked and Hooked Ocean Rodeo Rise Rocks

Forum for kitesurfers
kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lanes and Hookipa, Maui, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo, Lakey Pipe, Cloud Break
Style: Waves
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO
Brand Affiliation: Armstrong Foils
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Big Surf Unhooked and Hooked Ocean Rodeo Rise Rocks

Postby kitehawaii » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 pm

I have been riding the the 8m Rise since December 18th. Since then Maui has had a series of small swells and extremely gusty conditions. By gusty I mean 5 to 45mph with rain squalls. In order to deal with these extreme conditions and make the most of the waves I have been riding a 6'8" swallow tail surfboard reinforced for kiting. The combination of the Rise and little larger board has allowed me to stay out longer, point higher and perform better than other riders most of whom are using 7.5 to 9m kites and slightly smaller boards down to 6'.

I must say that I could not be more stoked with a kite right out the bag than I am with the Rise. The set up is so quick and easy to set up with the one pump system. The details like the bridle end holders make keeping the bridles un tangled and easy grab. The bar is simple, effective and very safe. I tested it when riding unhooked as bar got ripped out of my hands. Being hooked into the cleat system worked perfectly, it was easy to uncleat it and relaunch quickly. I'm now using the D-Ring on the trim loop. It's easier to relaunch.

The kite is bomb proof as it has already taken a direct hit by 5' bowl and came out unscathed. The flying characteristic are so predictable that I have started taking even more chances in lighter winds. The kite looping is so tight and easy that I can throw a kite loop at will to get a little speed boost to out run a section then depower to stay in the critical part of the wave.

I have mostly been riding hooked as the wind has been so gusty. On 12/2/08 we had some slightly onshore conditions that steadied out the wind and made unhooking possible. With a quick depower at the cleat I could easily ride controlled and powered with no backward flying characteristics what so ever. I pulled in about 8" on the trim line to insure forward flight with good turning characteristics. I have been flying with the extensions on the kite lines to give the kite greater range and that has really helped in the lulls. Bar pressure is ideal. Jumping at will over whitewater is easy. Perfect super tight kite loops make adding power and speed as needed totally predictable.

On 3/13 & 14 we had one of the last sizable swells of the season. I met up with Richard Tampin an OR team rider wintering in Maui. We had an idea to get decent photo of two Rise kites on one wave. I figured it would be fairly easy. Wrong. The first day was just huge and closing out. We were the only fools going for it. On the second day the windsurfers were on the point so getting a good set wave was a challenge. In the end mission was accomplished and OR got a shot. We managed to pick off a few together and not cross lines. I did manage to get foam ball cover up that felt pretty good. Can't say enough about the range of this 8m. Pretty incredible.

Overall the kite is a top performer both hooked and unhooked. I can't wait to try the 12m. I wish I could have a 12m that weighed the same as the 8m. That truly would be a miracle kite. A 12m will probably be my main light wind kite with the 16 just for super light wind days. I know the 6'8" has something to do with my ability to outlast all the other riders on the gusty days but I give 90% of the credit to the kite. The bottom end of the kite is great and I haven't even felt the top end.

Photos below on my custom designed and built 6'4" thruster.

Aloha from Maui.

Name:KiteHawaii

Weight: 205 lbs

Level of kiting: Expert Waves

Most riding done in surf?

Size of product you are commenting on: 8m Rise Venturi
Attachments
sj6s9825.jpg
Wish it was like this all the time.
sj6s9815.jpg
Coming out of it.
sj6s9812.jpg
Foam ball not a tube.
sj6s9806.jpg
Setting up
sj6s8690.jpg
Dropping in
sj6s9776.jpg
Love the offshore

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Re: Big Surf Unhooked and Hooked Ocean Rodeo Rise Rocks

Postby Galeltic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:59 pm

very nice pictures ! :thumb:
i wanna to be same as you at big waves , one day so i still learn
but i dont use O.R kites anyway and impress to see O.R kite always get better improvement every yrs :cool2:

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:59 pm

I concur
I really enjoy my
RISE

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:57 am

kitehawaii wrote: We had an idea to get decent photo of two Rise kites on one wave. I figured it would be fairly easy. Wrong.
Well, you managed to pull it off!
kitehawaii wrote:The first day was just huge and closing out. We were the only fools going for it.
Yeah, it looked nuts Kevin!!!

It should be noted that Kevin is, currently anyway, not associated with our company in any fashion. He approached me at Surf Expo excited about the Rise and our introduction of Venturi Technology and its potential application to wave sailing. I hooked him up with our man Richard T and together they decided a photo shoot was in order once they had had a chance to hit the waves for a few sessions and get comfortable riding together.

A big thanks to them both for given'er on such a huge day and to John Malmberg for the excellent photos.

John Z - OR

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:48 am

Nice review dude!
Those conditions look gnarley! :evil:

Generic-Imitation
Frequent Poster

Postby Generic-Imitation » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:35 am

what beach is that on Maui? I'm over on Oahu, and might wanna give those waves a go.

Love the pics bro

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .

Postby tommeltot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:53 am

An excellent post. Very informative and just the sort of information we like to hear :)

Awesome photographs too :)

Thanks

Andy

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:02 pm

hey kitehawaii,

that gives me more inspiration than anything. really hope i am doing what you do in 10 years.

nice shots bambam!!

kt

kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO

Postby kitehawaii » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:56 am

kitingkt wrote:

that gives me more inspiration than anything. really hope i am doing what you do in 10 years.
6 seasons of paying your dues on Maui with good kite and board will get you in the same spot.

kitehawaii
Medium Poster

Postby kitehawaii » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:04 am

Generic-Imitation wrote:what beach is that on Maui? I'm over on Oahu, and might wanna give those waves a go.
That's Lanes and Ho'okipa. Be warned the pole boarders think they own that spot so extreme respect is and the 10 man rule is required.

Lanes has it's own dues as one of the most dangerous reef dances in the world.

Come on over.
Attachments
sj6s8723.jpg
Landing is just as sketchy if no one is around to catch the kite.
sj6s8643.jpg
Booties required.

Return to “Kitesurfing”