Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

connect safetyleash to witch line?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:09 pm

can you explain this ring or ball thing to me please. I am using a older naish and my leash just connects to the backline, 3m up at the end of the leader. can i convert it to something safer or less tangly!?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:53 pm

the pictures above show the convertion of a Naish bar. DO NOT USE THE SAFETY FROM NAISH BEING CONNECTED 3M UP THE LINE THIS DOESN'T WORK WELL AND CAN SPIN WITH LOTS OF POWER !!!

The first two pics show the backline version, the 3rd picture show the frontline version.
With backlines simply remove the knots at one side where you want to attach the safety, do a small eye where the line will fit through, shorten your safety leash, make a knot at it and attach the line to the safety leash at the knot.
The make sure the other leading line has a knot to connect the other flying line in the same lenght as the side with the safety so the kite won't pull into one direction if shorter or longer.

Toby

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Trikke » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:33 am

Uipko:Luckly I've not been in critical conditions to test if the leash on the back line depowers more than on the front one,but think about this:when riding your kite totally depowered it is like it was connected to front lines only,in fact the back ones are curved and they aren't stressed. Now the kite can keep its trim and generate power even only with front lines.
With your leash connected to backline:when you leave the bar,you break the ideal trim of the kite that fall down powerless.No power remain in the kite as it could happen connecting to the front line.
I hope I was clear enough

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:36 am

Maybe I have pictures of this system. I'll let you all know immediately

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:33 am

PAY ATTENTION WHEN USING BALLS!

usually, these balls you get (sailing-shops)
are not made to resist such forces.
even worse: exposed to sunlight they'll get weaker and might break quite some time after
you attached them!

two rings (molded steel) should fit better!!!

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:42 am

To see a ring-ring system go to http://www.gaastrakites.com/sec_sys.htm.
I is on the front lines but you can easily do it on the back ones.The best thing is using a smaller ring on the leader and a bigger one connecting line and leash
The ring-ball system uses a ring on the leader and a ball instead of the bigger ring;the ball works as a stop since you must pass the line through it and connect the line to the leash

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:44 am

To see a ring-ring system go to http://www.gaastrakites.com/sec_sys.htm.
I is on the front lines but you can easily do it on the back ones.The best thing is using a smaller ring on the leader and a bigger one connecting line and leash
The ring-ball system uses a ring on the leader and a ball instead of the bigger ring;the ball works as a stop since you must pass the line through it and connect the line to the leash

uipko
Rare Poster

Postby uipko » Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:29 am

@trikke, sounds good your theory, i think you have a piont there. If connected to an depowerline the kite can make some power. And maybe the only reason that leashes are connected at the depowerlines is because bridles like the AB.

@murdoc, thx for the tip! I now have 2 rings, i wanted to change 1 ring with a stopperbal because it looks better, not so good idea .... :smile:

Greetz Uipko

Return to “Kitesurfing”