Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gerry Lopez: surfer-extraordinaire and Kiting (comment)

Forum for kitesurfers
liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gerry Lopez: surfer-extraordinaire and Kiting (comment)

Postby liv2surf » Sun May 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Yesterday evening, still with that surfed-out glow after a 3h wave session near Santa Cruz, CA on my 7m (wind averaging 32 during session - WINDY), I attended a lecture by surfer-extraordinaire Gerry Lopez at UCSC about his new book "SURF IS WHERE YOU FIND IT".

Historically well-informed surfers and kiters coming from a surf background will recognize Gerry Lopez as among the most influential surfers of the 20th century (or see Wikipedia page). Gerry Lopez was one of the first guys to charge at Pipeline, Mr Pipeline back in the 70's and 80's (perhaps), important contributor to modern surfboard design and an early pioneer of surfing in Indonesia etc etc. He now has partly traded his surfboard for snowboards (although he still surfs and still rips).

After various introductory remarks, Gerry's readings from his new book and slide show of pictures from the book (with comments), Gerry took questions from the audience. When asked by an audience member "you have been heavily involved with surfing and snowboarding, what is next for you". He replied (and I paraphrase), 'maybe I'd like to try kiting'. This was in a room with 300 surfers and no kiters that I recognized (so he was not indulging the desires of the audience).

I know for me wave kiting has been part of an evolution of surf-like board sports including 35y of real surfing and 15y of snowboarding and now 5y of wave kiting. I guess what impressed me about his comment is that Gerry --one of my heros from my surfing roots beginning in the early 70's-- indicated that he apparently recognizes that kiting is one of the surfing sports (surf is where you find it) that is ranks in his mind as being worthy of trying, along with with real surfing and snowboarding.
Attachments
Gerry cover shot c2.jpg
Gerry cover shot c2.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
gerry and me c2.jpg
gerry and me c2.jpg (33.28 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Last edited by liv2surf on Sun May 04, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Re: surfer-extraordinaire Gerry Lopez and Kiting (comment)

Postby surfboy1968 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Nice :thumb:

Alan
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone

Re: Gerry Lopez: surfer-extraordinaire and Kiting (comment)

Postby Alan » Sun May 04, 2008 11:27 pm

He is a very good windsurfer in the waves also, smooth style, flow. Old guys rule!

Alan

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gerry Lopez: surfer-extraordinaire and Kiting (comment)

Postby MonkeyAir » Mon May 05, 2008 4:11 am

Very cool!!
He is one of my heroes as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”