All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which one-directional board?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:22 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm down in Orlando, FL and with the winds in the summer in Cocoa Beach over here in the 8 to 12 mph range, was thinking of getting a 19M Speed 2 and a one-directional board.

What are some good manufactureres out there? And what would be a good size board to get? The waves here are anywere from 3 to 5 ft at most and I weigh 210 lbs.

Also, what is the maximum size board I can check in as luggage on an airplane?

Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Which one-directional board?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Not smaller then 6' for your weight. If you can find one of the older Naish 7' or even 8' go for it. They can double as a regular surf board which is perfect at Cocoa Beach. You can pick'em up for as low as $150.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:39 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey,
I just got off the water on a great wave session!
I've been riding a 5'8" Liquid Force directional for a couple of months now and I love it! I know they make a 6' version too and I think that would be better suited for you. I haven't really tried many other brands, but these boards are made just like a regular surf board except that you can add or remove straps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 am 
Medium Poster

Just find an old surfboard that suits your weight and strap it up. DON`T get something to small! Size is your friend in the lighter winds.

You could have a look at these.... Surftech is the devil but they`re strong......
http://www.surftech.com/shaper.phtml?ty ... thumbInc=0

Here`s the one I use for the light days. 7'0" and 3" thick. I ride a 10m Pulse and can ride that combo when the boys at my beach are just starting on their twintips.
Attachment:
7'0s.jpg
7'0s.jpg [ 33.06 KIB | Viewed 1834 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:17 am 
Rare Poster

As everyone is pointing out, some size (floatation) will be an important factor in the light/mod winds. Any surfboard design will generally do, but your decision will be need to made if you want to ride with or without straps. Personally, I and most aussies go the strapless, so it gives you the freedom. Your call..

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:01 am 
Medium Poster

I have tried LiquidForce Quad 5'10". Very easy and it is an upwindmachine. Of course in moderate to strong wind it is not so easy to control as a narrower board. I had a F-One signature and this board is very far about accebility and pleasure.

I just bought the LiquidForce. The pads of this board are sh$%#t. Too hard that I have a pain in my heel.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I second that. The LF Quad is very easy especially for jibing. It doesn't move while you switch your feet.

[ 7 posts ]