Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Reel board leash cord extension - what do you think?

Forum for kitesurfers
vwsurftrip
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Reel board leash cord extension - what do you think?

Postby vwsurftrip » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:01 am

I just bought a Reel board leash and I want to have an extra cord extension to put on my other board so both boards have their own. The cost of their regular shock cord and the extra long one is pretty much the same. Which one, would anyone with experience with both, recommend? Anyone buy the extra long cord and really like it?

I respect the opinions of those of you who say forget the leash and body drag. That day will come, but being a newbie, I have already made the decision to go with the leash until I improve.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:33 am

VW. Did you consider a Goe Joe? It's a hell of a lot safer than a leash (of any kind) and does not get in the way like a leash does. You can still work on body dragging upwind until you've got it wired, and once you do, take it off.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the world's riders one at at time, welcome to the Crew!
Last edited by EvanOR on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:57 am

Do you wear a helmet?

If not, and you are going to use a leash, ya better get one :wink:

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:34 am

Reel leash is a great thing.

i use one when riding waves at low tide (strapless), this way I do not have to body drag back to my board if I wipeout over a reef that is sticking out of the water.
I do not know about the extension cord, is it elastic ?.
I got mine before these were supplied.
I have made myself an extension out of shock cord just long enough to reach the board from my hip, this dampens the leash a bit when fully extended. I have never had the board fly back at me and do not wear a helmet.
Nico

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:06 am

That little dongle broke on me eventually, so I just throw a piece of webbing between the fin screws on my boards. If I want to leash them, the attachment is there (connect in the center, between the two screws), when I don't...you don't notice it. Here's a blurry photo of what I mean...

Its just a strap from an old backpack that I drilled a couple holes in. If you actually want an extension on the leash to make sure the board never comes all the way back to you, just either A) tie a knot in the leash a few feet from the end or B) attach a static (non stretchy) line to the end of the leash.

Wear a helmet & good luck!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:46 am

I made an extension by removing (cutting off) the metal clip and adding a length of polyester floating rope inside low density polyetylene tube (LDPE) and a plastic clip on the end. I started with 10' extension, but found I usually could not get the board to me with one pull, so have shortened it to 8', which gives me a total of 18' of leash extended.
The leash is easier to find when it floats and less likely to get wrapped around you.
With a board leash you should always wear a helment and impact vest.
I can bodydrag, not as well as I could if I was doing it all the time, but you should forget about riding until you can bodydrag and do not use the board leash when the wind is strong.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

leash

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:35 am

I just wrap the spring loaded lobster claw
around the grab handle of the board.

I f the board ever gets flung at me I figure its more
likely that I'll get hit by the broad side.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: leash

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:31 am

Vin Stefanelli wrote:I just wrap the spring loaded lobster claw
around the grab handle of the board.

I f the board ever gets flung at me I figure its more
likely that I'll get hit by the broad side.
I connect to the fin mounting because the board is less likely to develop a huge pull on the leash before launching toward me. It is also easier to pull the board back to you.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Reel board leash cord extension - what do you think?

Postby ronnie » Sun May 11, 2008 11:42 am

Having tried to eliminate or reduce problems with leashes, I took this picture to show the reel leash setup I ended up with.
The leash is an Oceanus (the beefed up model) and is mounted on the handlepass line which has a quick release (at the red ball).
From the reel strap, I attached a Mustad 90kg fishing swivel. Then there is an 8' floating leash extension made from 4mm polyester rope inside 6mm low density polyethylene tubing (it is 8' because that is the longest length which allows me to pull the board to me with one pull, once the reel has reeled the strap in). The floating extension is less likely to get tangled round your legs. At the board end is a velcro fuse. You can adjust the overlap to set the release load. Finally a plastic clip which is easy to attach or release with one hand.

I am not trying to advocate leashes, just showing the best solution I have found so far.
Attachments
leashsmall.jpg

ckramer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Reel board leash cord extension - what do you think?

Postby ckramer » Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Use both the elastic shock chord and the extension.
Just tie the shock chord to the board by using fin screws. Then chinch loop the extension to the shock chord.

Return to “Kitesurfing”