x2 sizes, be carefull !!!

Forum for kitesurfers
flesjj
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flesjj » Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:30 pm

I just read in the Kitesurf international edition (French kitesurf magazine) that the x2-10 has a flat size of 12 square meters. If this is right (who knows ?) be carefull not to buy the wrong size of kite as has happened in the past to many buyers buying the wrong size because they did not know about all the different ways of sizing of the different kite brands ! CVan anyone tell ?? is the x2 10 ten meters and the x2 12 twelve meters flat or not ? Thanks

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:59 am

I don't think that this is correct.

I have the 14 and 20 and these are compariable to the Aero and ARX in sizing.

I have also seen the 12 and 16 in use.

Steve

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:08 am

Year, but do you have more power in the X2 because of the size of the kite or because of the design of the kite ?
Or both ??
Bo

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:26 am

Power is very similar and minimum wind range is the same in my opinion, but they can take more wind.

The X2 20 is to easy to control in (a hot 40C)15 knots. The ARX19.5 was a handful in 13 knots.

Steve

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:20 am

I just received my 12m X2 today. I laid it on my ARX 11.5 and found that the sizes are almost identical ...maybe the X2 is slightly larger. The X2 shape has more area at the tips.

Chris G

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:47 am

I have a 10 and 14, and the flat areas are almost identical to the old 9.5 and 13.5.

These kies can generate as much power as the ARX's, but only becasue they turn and fly faster. SO they can generate a strong surge of power when turned through the power.

Personally, I have found that the low end Grunt of the kite (when it is locked in) is less than the ARX. Becasue they are higher aspect but the same flat size, I think the projected area is less. I also think the draft is not as deep and they have less drag, so they naturally fly further to the edge of the window.

Due to this, they can handle much more wind than the ARX. Don't worry about them being too powerful for there size - I think they are less powerful than the ARX, unless you are working the kite.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:33 pm

I think care is needed with this kites. Powerful forces can come on fast in gust and be serprising.

was THE stray kite not x2?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:15 am

the X2 is a high-performance-kite. no more no less.
if you're a beginner & want a naish, buy a R3.
just switched to yer Twintip?
go and get an aero.

if you know what you do and know what you want,
decide wether the X2 suits you or not.

beginners will just be troubeled and uncomfortable with the power and handling the high performance x2 offers - without being able to profit from the things the x2 has to offer.
know your skills and know the wind ...

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:59 am

The X2s are great Kites I use a 4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 and 20 Meter. Today I was out on a 18 in about 18 knots of wind useing an Underground LT147 Board in flat water. Overpowered, a little but still controlable where people were getting out of the water with 14 meter ARX and Areo. These kites are a great Kite but I think alot of the power is generated buy the turning speed of these things.

Return to “Kitesurfing”