Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

another FS pulse2 review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
meisahero
Rare Poster
Local Beach: brouwersdam,scheveningen and sant pere pescadore...
Favorite Beaches: landebaan
Style: wake and wave
Gear: flysurfer pulse2 and speed2
spleene rip plus
flyboard flyradical 122 ('o6er) , 128
x-treme mockingbird
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

another FS pulse2 review

Postby meisahero » Tue May 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Sooo,...

the last few days have unfortunately been lacking in wind…kiting is impossible. Since I still want to live the sport, here is the latest thing on my new kites…my english is not that good but let give it a
shot.

I’ve been a staunch C (Tube) kiter for eight years now. I started on a Wipika airblast, progressed to kites from North, JN, and Slingshot up to my last kite, a Gaastra Max. Most of them are still around at my house. Why do I always fly C-kites? Easy…they turn better, are more explosive, fly faster and are simply better for the whole freestyle and wave thing...at least that was my opinion

In the past couple of years, I had the opportunity to test bow and Flysurfer Kites, but in my opinion they were never quick enough, or just didn’t work that good unhooked.

In January, when I was on the road with Tigga I happened to be kiteless. Well, not really without a kite, cuz' Ralph from Bigboysports.de and Tigga was so kind and organized a couple of Switchblade3's.

They don’t fly too badly (for bows). They’re fast…how it should be, with a superb lift. However,unhooked- they just didn’t float my boat.

Armin was in Tarifa at the same time, and this is how the 8er pulse2 and I got to know one another. He shortened the lines for me to 12meters to test the kite on the water with like 5 or 6 BFT.

On land I was a bit shocked how the kite reacted to steering commands. Very direct ( I’m used to that from my Tubes), minimal steering and holding force and everything without delay. On the water I was immediately impressed with the flight quality.

The Pulse criss-crossed thrue wind window like it was stung by a bee..to the edge of the wind window...in notime i was crossed upwind so i had enough space to try out a few moves with the kite.

First I devoted myself to a couple of waves...I know that the Pulse is a Foil Kite and it's normal that if you surf straight to the kite (take the power out of the lines) it should collaps..BUT NO FUCKING WAY..with fullspeed i turned into the direction of the kite to prepare a cutback...and the kite?! Simply stayed where I parked it...hooked-in or unhooked...it makes no difference to the kite!

The Depower is super...relative short depower path but really efficient...

A bit later I unhooked to try out some tricks...awesome...you can load the kite very extreme and then it shoots you into the sky without steering the kite higher than 10 o'clock...the kite with the heavyest pop i ever tryed..Youri had the same goof impression the day before when he skeptically took the kite out for a spin. With no previous practice, I tried out some kite loops, down loops, s-bends, etc. The nicest surprise...I could actually land them :-)

After an hour of kiting I got the signal from Armin to come in; it was time for him to went home…didn’t matter anyway… I had found my new favo kites for my 2008 sessions...
A couple of days later at home, I gave Ralph a call…another couple of days and the 10er Pulse2 was arrived at my door. Freed from its storage bag, it has surprisingly small packing dimensions and from my inspection I immediately noticed the super workmanship.

Typical Flysurfer, it arrived ready to fly... etc...that means roll out the lines and you can launch your kite...Image

At the Kag (kite and grill) Testival in the Netherlands, Ralph brought a Pulse2 in 6 and 10m2 for me with BBS print on it ...

now a warning...be careful with the 6er. This kite is SO fast.
When most people were kiting with 10 and 12er kites, I was easily cruising with the 6er. The kite generates enough power because of the high flying speed so it was more than enough to rock the water with my 65kg...a fine thing. The lift from both kites is not huge in the lower wind range, but definitely adequate. But don't worry, there’s enough pop to satisfy anyone...even in light winds.

With freshening wind the lift increases enormously…you get a explosive lift upwards and then plenty of hang time…one practically hovers in the air. With the 10er in an optimal wind the lift is better, logically. The 10er is agile enough for radical kite loops...and that with very little holding force. Another nice thing, the steering strength is adjustable by simply pushing a ball back and forth. You can adjust it according to your steering preference.

The features are pleasing in gusty winds, too.
On Thursdays through Sundays, I’m in Scheveningen (work) and Mondays till Thursday afternoon I’m inland...there I have a huge lake just outside my front door, with somewhat gustier winds. Even in these conditions the Pulse2 remains stable and shows no tendency to stall or collapse.

Water starts are easy...actually similar to that of a Bow Kite.
If the kite is laying on the Leading edge, just pull on one side of the bar and the kite pulls in the wind window into the air again.

To sum up, a fat allround kite with really good freestyle properties. It can do everything; from big airs, down loop, from cruising to speed to waves. Handling is easy but definitely sporty and above all, direct. I’m totally impressed with it, and look forward to a great 2008 season. I can only say: If you get the opportunity to test, then do it…an interesting gadget.Image

Armin, thanks for the testing opportunities...I’m addicted now....and Ralph + Armin...thanks for the super-quick service with my kites!

Günter Riedl
Rare Poster

Re: another FS pulse2 review

Postby Günter Riedl » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi Meisahero

Interisting to read you review. Sound realy like somthing i neet to try!

I love minimal steering and holding force!

Thanks, Günter

meisahero
Rare Poster
spleene rip plus
x-treme mockingbird

Postby meisahero » Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 pm

Günter Riedl wrote:Hi Meisahero

Interisting to read you review. Sound realy like somthing i neet to try!

I love minimal steering and holding force!

Thanks, Günter
the same here...
i think that you have to try the pulse...and i think that you gonna love it...
Günter is a german name i guess...on which spots do you kite normally?!
i live in the netherlands and if you want to test it just leave me a PN...you're welcome..

cheers,

manu

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Thu May 29, 2008 5:08 am

Is the Pulse 2 the first foil you have flown?
Sounds like it must be a VERY good kite considering your previous kites.

I want one! or maybe two....

BTW.
Your writing skills are far superior to a lot of native English speakers :o Great review!

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 am

I have the Pulse 2 14m, 12m, 8m and 6m.

The kites are really great. Fast turning, yet not super nervous kites.
Good upwind and really great down the line in the waves.

The 12m and the 14m get me out riding the waves and going back upwind
when most other kites have trouble and I'm no expert rider and also weigh
more than most...225lbs.

The bar pressure is so light that it's really easy to fly the kite with one hand
turning and or sining the kite. I really love this because I have been riding a small directional.
A Spleene Zone. In particular while riding toeside being able to sheet in and out as well as sine
and turn the kite one handed is just grrreat 8)

Here is a quick little video that shows how fast the 8m and 6m turn.
The video is from my first few minutes riding the new kites.

http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Flysurfer ... eek43.html

The blue one is the 6m and the red one is the 8m.

One last thing...relaunch is so "stupidly" easy that I have been pushing things more as I know I can
get the kite up no problem.

Cheers

Fred

meisahero
Rare Poster
spleene rip plus
x-treme mockingbird

Postby meisahero » Thu May 29, 2008 1:55 pm

surfinsmiley wrote:.
Is the Pulse 2 the first foil you have flown?
Sounds like it must be a VERY good kite considering your previous kites.

I want one! or maybe two....

BTW.
Your writing skills are far superior to a lot of native English speakers :o Great review!
hi...
at first thanks for that language thingy...but back to your question. i've tested a lot of flysurfer kites during the years...at first the mastair,later the warrior,maniac,titan,psycho1 2 and 3,the pulse one, speed and some other kites...they wasn't that bad but they didn't match to my ridingstyle...the pulse2 is a total different kite...the perfect fusion from c-tubes and foil kites.test it and from that moment you're addicted...

cheers,

manu (from the netherlands)

domdino
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach CA, Gilgo NY, Rhosilli Bay WALES
Style: Free
Gear: Ocean Rodeos for the moment...
Brand Affiliation: Atomickiteboarding.com

Postby domdino » Thu May 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Another convert here, prefered how SLE kites felt, flew them latter half of 2007, 2008 tried the pulse2 and was blown away! (no pun...) these kites are amazing...

so many of my kiter friends are so timid about trying one, they seem to think they won't relaunch or something, these are by far the easiest kites to relaunch on the market. Just give one a go at the very least people!!! Don't be scared off because it's not what everyone else is flying!

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:45 am

Hi meisahero and all the others.

It is very nice, you like our constructions. That motivates us to do even better.

Bye, Armin

Return to “Reviews”