Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ANyone ever launch from a lake with no beaches?

Forum for kitesurfers
Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ANyone ever launch from a lake with no beaches?

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:53 am

I have a summer home on a small lake that has houses all around (almost), no beach access and has trees in between. Funny thing is that is has a steady wind, usually around 15mph+ and isn't gusty which for the way the shore is setup is weird. I really need to kite this lake, just to say I at least tried it. I did use a 6m and a paddleboat to test out turbulance and stability of the coves but the winds are really stable. Now our house is inside a partial cove ore recess area where wind generally doesn't penetrate so I would have to inflate the kite and swim backwards in order to go out where the wind is. I have an anchor with a float that I will clip the bar into while rigging the kite that actually will be sitting on the end of the pier until all rigged. Anyone ever kite in these type of circumstances? When in doubt I always break out a small kite to test the wind stability, no shame in a body drag to test things out... Polo. :wink:

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Re: ANyone ever launch from a lake with no beaches?

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:16 am

yo polo,

you getting any of the huge winds lately? wow...7m's were the call today.

that lake looks really really small and it looks tree lined which makes me believe it will be gusty no matter what. wind that comes over long stretches of land is gustier also. add trees and that just doesn't look so good.

are there any other larger lakes within a few hours?

where is this?

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

High Abuser
Frequent Poster
Gear: None really. Its been 7 years since I surfed.
Im trying to get back into now that live by water. North east Ohio.
17.5m Machine - 2005
11m Fuel 2004

Postby High Abuser » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:21 am

Can you launch from a different spot?

It doesnt look bad and it may be generaly steady if the trees are not so tall an the wind is coming from the right direction.

Looks like a nice lake to kite.

HA

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:50 am

U can launch from a boat, then the shore is not an issue.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:35 am

Once in Minnesota ( lots of lakes ) I always saw lots of " sorta " floating islands all over the places ( made out of old oil tanks tided to some wooden plates and anchored to the ground of the lake )
:idea:

+

Turbo launcher

=

You are set

Saludos

Franz

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:01 pm

It's also a small lake with 100 piers and 400 small boats?
Sometimes it's just not a good idea.

Padi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: Brisbane, Sunshine & Gold Coast

Postby Padi » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:17 pm

It will be fun if there's enough room. I have seen a guy (youtube) he was so desparate he kited in his swimming pool!

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Safe Cracker,

A successful answer to the question you ask will be the driving force to kick the activity of kiteboarding into the stratosphere... that is ... The ability to safely launch a kite from any body of water, anywhere there is wind!

Many have tried ...many have failed...

Here is a copy of one of my posts from the following thread:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... elf+launch

A lot has been posted in the past of this forum concerning the question you posed:

If you take the time to read and follow through all the inclosed links, you will have been exposed to essentially all the ideas that have been presented in the last 5 years concerning this topic…sooooo….set aside about 3 hours, grab a six-pack, lock yourself in your study, and have at it!
....................................................................................................................

“You may find some of the information in this thread useful in setting up a system to launch in your situation. The seaweed may be the biggest problem. Setting up a little anchored floating platform like Wetstuff describes could work in your situation, to allow you to launch off your 5th line. You could consider making a Line Tender out of PVC, as described in the post. This would work better in your situation than a Turbo-style-launcher, for unwinding the kite-lines while walking the kite from the platform back toward shore, in order to properly position the kite.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2332235

Here is another launch technique you may want to consider. I developed this method and the necessary “belay” tool in order to launch from some very difficult places in the Gorge. It worked fine, but demanded some hours of practice, and of course the time and effort to construct the final version of the “Tool”. I call the technique the “Driftfly launch”, because the kite drifts a little bit and then flys up. The flying up is necessary to shake off the seaweed. A normal drift launch in a bed of seaweed is risky.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2328471&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=driftfly

I presented a description of various versions of the “tool” in the following thread, the version I presently use is shown on page 2:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2321454&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=safely+grab+a+line

If you get really desperate, then, just before you resort to buying a “launch boat”, you might want to consider the possibility of constructing and using the “Pipe launcher” as presented in this thread. This is about as unconventional as you can get:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2333222&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=pipe+launcher

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:31 am

WOW replies lOl. Hey Bob, it is a private lake that we all grew up around. I know almost everyone all the way around, I have one of three boat houses left and two pontoon boats on hand. The lake is up by Gurnee without giving the exact location :wink: . I was thinking of making the trip over by you for a class or so but running a business is a full time thing and add wife/kids in, mannnn. Like I said the weird thing is that the lake SHOULD be gusty but for some reason(s) it isn't they are pretty darn steady when west/southwest. I have noticed that when north or south the trees effect probably the first 50m of the shoreline which is evident by the water ripples and a meter. When in doubt I wip it out, small kite that is haha. I brought out the short line (13m) and my favorite stable Hulkaroo (06, 16m waroo black/green) that is my favorite stable kite, will let you all know how it goes on tues. Funny thing is I got cought out in FL in Nov in a storm with 21mph+ winds with my 16M and I fealt totally safe and in control, little overpowered but it fealt great! Thanks for all the replies and reading material it is always good to study up!!! Polo..

PS- The info in the links are priceless! Thankyou/// :thumb:

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:35 pm

drift method or from a boat. the 2 easiest way for your lake.

Return to “Kitesurfing”