angelo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Turbo 3 Review

Postby angelo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:40 pm

slingshot Turbo 3 Review by the S2AS Team

After the success of the Slingshot Turbo 2 last year it was with great anticipation we awaited the arrival of the Slingshot Turbo 3’s Last year’s Turbo 2 was a leap forward in bow technology with slingshot creating a super stable, easy re-launch and user friendly kite. It was immediately recognised an ideal kite for those looking for a free ride kite or their first kite to learn on.

When we received these kites we where to intrigued to find out what and how Slingshot had attempted to improve their thoroughbred workhorse. On first inspection of the kite you can see it is still built with Slingshot’s legendary build quality. The kite itself looks fairly similar with maybe a tweak up in the aspect ratio. The bridle again came with the floating pulley connecting the front and back bridle. The bridle itself seems more compact and neater than last years. To be honest the major differences are the fact that with a small adjustment at the bar and on the bridle the T3 or Turbo3 can be transformed from a 2:1 free ride user friendly kite to a 1:1 more aggressive kite capable of impressive wake style characteristics.

Like the kite the bar has a couple of differences. The first as already mentioned is the ability to change it from a 2:1 system to a 1:1 system, which is a quick and easy job. The second is incorporation of the same highly successful safety system as used on the Slingshot Rev Kite. No longer does your leash have to be stretched out, forever wrapping your lines to reach the re-ride. Now the re-ride line is neatly extended to finish just above the chicken loop. Not only is this system notably neater and more user friendly but also highly efficient, as well as giving the rider a high probability of immediate re-launch even on release.

The improvement however is more noticeable in flight. Having had these kites since mid may we have been able to test them in a variety of conditions and styles (free ride, wake style and in the school).

Firstly in the 2:1 system the kite feels faster and more responsive than last year. This may be down to a slight increase in aspect ratio or to do with the tweaking of the bridle. The main way you can notice this is in the turns. The Slingshot T3 in comparison to the T2 seems to turn tighter, quicker and easier than last years making it feel extremely sprightly. This increase in turning speed makes the kite feel a lot more fun and makes it boost massive whilst still providing awesome float. The re-launch and de-power are still both excellent, pull the outside line and he kite re-launches in seconds, let go of the bar and you still have the huge de-power .

Secondly in the 1:1 system the kite does feel slower than in the 2:1. However it really shows off its versatility and potential when you start trying to unhook against it. With the low end power and stability of the T3 there always seems like there is plenty to pop against and it gives consistent steady pull.

Slingshot have succeeded in making an extremely versatile kite this year that is going to offer many more options than previously seen. It doesn’t seem to matter whether you are a complete beginner, free rider or wake style monkey, the T3 can offer everyone something. Whilst it will never be as pure a freestyle kite as the likes of the fuel or as fast as the rev, it is a massively impressive. This year slingshot is onto a winner with a kite that almost everyone will enjoy and be able to get something out of. As a first kite it has the advantage of offering huge progression and scope for anyone coming into the sport whilst still offering all those features that people look for in a bow kite.

Review by James ward
Surface 2 Air sports Team

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Re: Slingshot Turbo 3 Review

Postby shymac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Clean review. Understandable for everyone!
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (130.65 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (152.91 KiB) Viewed 9285 times
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 9357 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 9355 times

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 pm

kite photos
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (132.31 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (106.95 KiB) Viewed 9334 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 9319 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (113.74 KiB) Viewed 9318 times

PhysioRol
Medium Poster

Postby PhysioRol » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi thanks for the info.

I am not really getting the benefit/differences of the 2:1 versus 1:1. If anyone can please clarify I would appreciate it.

Does the 2:1 offer more depower?

Is the bar pressure different on the 1:1?

I guess the REV is a massive wave riding kite. Does the T3 have advantages/disadvantages over the REV in the waves?

angelo
Frequent Poster

Postby angelo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:43 pm

SLINGSHOT TURBO 3

1-1 = More direct feel not so heavy on the bar so if your comming from a Cshape kite this is the best option.

2-1 = More Depower (no back foot pressure needed) better for a beginner larger wind range but more of a on/off power

So a beginner should start off on the 2-1 pully system then as they get better change it to a 1-1 for more advanced riding.

Slingshot Rev Kite
This kite is more of a allround kite for intermedate riders comming off the Slingshot Turbo 2

Angelo
www.s2as.com
Shipping to europe FREE!!

PhysioRol
Medium Poster

Postby PhysioRol » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:37 am

Thanks angelo:

I am sure it is a matter of preference but in your opinion or any one else willing to chime. Aside from more depower does the T3 do anything else better than the Rev.

Roland

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 pm

PhysioRol wrote:Thanks angelo:

I am sure it is a matter of preference but in your opinion or any one else willing to chime. Aside from more depower does the T3 do anything else better than the Rev.

Roland
The REV turns a lot faster and has lighter bar pressure. Fast turning kites seem to be *in* so that is a big up for them. (I flew T2s and am now on T3s and will be very interested to see the REV2 when it comes out). The turning and jumping behavior of the REV is going to be more "C like" in feel vs. the Turbo which is a true bow kite.

- The T3 will jump easier (you just send the kite and it'll go...you don't always need to have perfect edging or your lines loaded...it'll just take you up!).
- The T3 is hands down the easiest kite to relaunch on the market. (of anything I have seen anyway) That thing just does not want to stay on the water. It is very stable in the lightest air...just push the bar out in a lull and it'll hang up there with very little bar input.
- The T3 has a wider wind range (more low end, in particular).
- More grunt if you like that (that is a marketing way of saying "more bar pressure.")
- The T3 has a very nice long glide when you jump it. Seems like you can just hang up there for a while. Lots of fun.

While I think the T3 will work for any skill level, the T3 will be a lot friendlier to beginner/intermediate kiters and advanced kiters (in my area anyway) seem to like the REV more. With the T3 you just sheet in and go. If there is enough power in the wind you'll feel it immediately. With the REV, it seems to get its power more when the kite is in motion...so it might feel too light to ride, but you sine the kite a couple times and you'll be up and going. Very different feel.

angelo
Frequent Poster

Postby angelo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:22 pm

see Above!!!
that is a perfect post thanks!! saved my finger tips the pain :D

Newbie/Beginner = Slingshot Turbo 3 T3 Kite
Intermediate = Slingshot Rev Kite

Angelo
www.s2as.com

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 am

my contra 17 seems a little overpowered for my 140# son (beginner) in 12-15kts. wondering whether an 11m T3 would be a better fit for him. Typical spring and fall winds are 12-18kts; summer winds are generally 8-12 and I think the contra will work there.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:27 pm

knot_moving wrote:my contra 17 seems a little overpowered for my 140# son (beginner) in 12-15kts. wondering whether an 11m T3 would be a better fit for him. Typical spring and fall winds are 12-18kts; summer winds are generally 8-12 and I think the contra will work there.
Yes, get the 11M T3.

At 180 lbs, I used to fly a 14M T3 in that range. At 140lbs, he should be lit on the 11M.

Return to “Reviews”