Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Eclipse Nano with 5th line?????

Postby richswing » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:15 am

Hi All,

Has anybody tried a 5th line on an Eclipse Nano, I don't have any problems with the kite but I was thinking it would increase the top end of the kite and improve the safety in squawly conditions.

What I was thinking was to change the front lines to one line that splits into two near the top utilizing the 4m extensions and a thicker line down to the bar. Then run another line for the 5th line which splits in two and connects to the centre pigtails (first pigtails either side of the centre strut).

Because the kite is quite a grunty kite, in squawly conditions tensioning the 5th line changes the AOA which inturn reduces the power of the kite. In the worst case scenario releasing onto the 5th line with minimal pull and no possibility of powering up the kite.

Any ideas/ comments?

Cheers :bye:

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Re: Eclipse Nano with 5th line?????

Postby alkiter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Why don't you just get a North Rebel? It already does all that...

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth

Postby richswing » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey Ozone,

I've got a 9m & 12m Nano and I just want to increase my options and safety. Were I come from the weather during winter is very squawly and don't want to get caught without a guarnteed flagout system.

DR22
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Lake Erie
Gear: Eclipse

Postby DR22 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 am

yea I put a 5th line on my nano 6 ... attaching to the pump line, it works fine , however I use my SS bar which has a 5th line cleat..... using your eclipse bar .... could be tough... the line would have to be just the right lengh..

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth

Postby richswing » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:23 am

Hey DR22,

Give us a bit of feedback, did the kite range increase (I suppose on the 6m you would not pick it up), did the flying characteristics change,a bit more depower on the waves, did it fly more forward.

Did you tension up the 5th line or use it loose just for flagout use. If tensioned

Any feedback would be appreciated.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:49 pm

DR22 wrote:yea I put a 5th line on my nano 6 ... attaching to the pump line, it works fine , however I use my SS bar which has a 5th line cleat..... using your eclipse bar .... could be tough... the line would have to be just the right lengh..
Did you check to see if you are voiding your warranty by flying it with a 5th line? The manufacturer may claim that the pump leash is not reinforced for that purpose.

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:31 pm

A 5th line will not help enhance your wind range but rather make your kite fly strange if your using a sheetable 5th line, probably will just make the kite drop from the air.

If you want a better high end just take off the line extensions and fly the kite on 20m lines.

DR22
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Lake Erie
Gear: Eclipse

Postby DR22 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:08 am

I like a 5th line for the safety or to help with a light wind relaunch....I don't use them much otherwise... 5th line on these types of kites are very sensitive that is why you need a cleat to adjust in small amounts.... but the nano has a ton of depower anyway... i would only use it when I was way over the high end for the 6 nano for me and my weight (85kg) . i could use the 5th and hold on in gusts from 40-45kts but it's sweet spot for me is 30-35. I dont use a 5th line much to extend the range... for me a 5th line works well on a C kite but the flatter kites are very "touchy" when you distort them by adding 5th line tension. sorry can't give much more input I'm not on the nano 6 that much...

Return to “Kitesurfing”