2nd home in Maui
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

performance of Cabrinha Crossbow IDS

Postby Bob Berry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:24 am

I have been flying the new 11m Crossbow IDS for the last two days. The kite is as good as advertised - low bar pressure, very quick (back loops are a breeze !), and great range. The kite depowers instantly when you let go of the bar which is a problem with this kite since it does not come with any override stopper. If you planning on spinning the bar, you have to hold on for dear life or you will stop on a dime. Since I do a lot of back and forward spins, I find this to be very annoying since you literally have to hold on with both hands when unspinning the bar making the kite a lot more work than it needs to be.
I think it would be easy to get a low-pressure stopper that would very safe and works with the IDS system. Until then, I would seriously think about holding off on buying this kite particularly at the price. Once they fix this problem, I think its a superior kite which is a dramatic improvement over the previous crossbow kites.

colokiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: performance of Cabrinha Crossbow IDS

Postby colokiter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 am

I totally agree with you about the bar, the entire design was based on the IDS landing system with very little attention to the previuos bars benefits. I still do not understand why they didn't install a similar overide system like the current bar, all the parts look to be similar but the difference is that the center line is a sewn loop versus a tied line. With the sewn loop it would be hard to slide the stopper ball onto the center line. Overall, I think they took a step backwards with this bar, the depower straps just flop around slightly higher then the previuos bar. Overall, really good kite but I would fly it on a current switchblade bar. I bet they update the bar soon becasue its going to get a lot of negative attention.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 am

I raised this complaint on the IDS thread.

It looks like the Override2 sleeve and tension ring could be bought and fitted, because the red stopper ball is a tight fit - like the sleeve - and they have fitted it to the line. The reason for not fitting it seems to be that the edge of the clip on depower line holder would wear the IDS depower line too quickly (see the NeilPrydeMaui forum).

They will need to design and make a moulded part which clips onto the sleeve but does not have the thin edge and does have a guide hole for the IDS depower line - like the black ball that sits below the bar. It would not be difficult to design, but takes time. I am guessing that it is a problem they had not forseen and had to drop the sleeve at a late date to avoid a potential safety problem. You can see Susi Mai demonstrating the hand-to-hand bar spin you need to use with the kite in the IDS video.

I have ordered one of the kites and it will be a problem to me in the future if they do not produce the upgrade parts. Currently I rarely spin the bar and have the sleeve set at the top of the powerline, so the extra depower throw is more of a problem to me. I may have to reduce the throw by using my current system and replacing the chickenloop with a carabiner and using a leash to the IDS depower ring if I find the bar hard to recover.

This photo is from Bigwinds Flickr set of IDS photos, so is his property.
Attachments
bigwindsflickrphoto.jpg

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Very suprised that there is no tension ring or Overide2 sleeve option available on the new IDS bars, as this small feature in many ways made Cabrinhas bar system superior.
If the sleeve and tension ring where installed on the IDS bar system, would wearing of the IDS line only be affected when the IDS system is activated, but the overide2 system not activated, and tension applied to the IDS line? Is there potential for the IDS line to get tangled around the tension ring or overide 2 body when the overide2 has not been activated? What part actually causes the wearing on the IDS line... is it the tension ring or overide2 body? Hopefully an upgrade part is made available shortly.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 pm

There is an elastic section on the IDS depowerline above the depower straps which keeps the line in slight tenson all the time. That means that the edge of the plastic part which clips onto the sleeve would be rubbing against the same place on the IDS depowerline all the time. By letting the part move around by removing the fixed sleeve that it normally clips onto, it would not be in contact with the same part of the IDS line all the time.

Windfreeeek
Medium Poster

Postby Windfreeeek » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Wait to you see the new 09 Naish bar and what you can do with regards to 5th line, freestyle leash and the conventional ways.

The current stopper system is in place for old school moves and adjustment, plus the solid release and saftey of the smart loop.

The 09 Bar will be the cleanest bar system on the market.

Cheers

~R

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Can't you buy the stopper/clam cleat the Eclipse kites uses and use that for this? Just wondered, since I have considered doing the same for my (RRD) kites,.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:08 pm

I would be surprised if Cabrinha haven't got the fix for this well underway.

It may be as simple as moulding something shaped similar to this onto the side of the Override2 body.
Attachments
077.jpg
077.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

Return to “Reviews”