Forum for kitesurfers
Fuzel
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Torch 3, how to relaunch???

Postby Fuzel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Hey,

i recently got a pair of torch 3s. My problem is that i dont get the hang of the relaunch. When i drop the kite on the fifth. It turns over and flys to the water and lays still. Then its really a pain in the *** to get it to the edge of the window. i can hardly do it standing i have no clue how even poss in deep water!? Sometimes the steering lines arent in bewtween the kites shapes but going on the outside and then its even harder if not imposs. to get a quick relaunch......

So to the torch riders. How do i do it, whats the magic technique? Or am i supposed to adjust the stopper for the bar going up the fifth? i just use it on factory setting at the moment.
Is the kite supopsed to lay on the water or does it have to fly over the watersurface? (so lenghten or shorten the stopper)?
Any information appreciated!!!!

Cheers

Kons

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Torch 3, how to relaunch???

Postby Ivel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Or am i supposed to adjust the stopper for the bar going up the fifth?
yeah you should. i always make mine so it only goes up about a foot longer than the 5th line extension off the kite. that or just go suicide. or better yet use a bar where all 5 lines branch from the bar like the SS bar. they work much better than that stupid branching setup on the naish bar.

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:50 pm

ride it on suicide mode... helps tons :D I only ride 5th on sliders

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:31 pm

Releasing on the 5th, the kite might need a reset since it is absolute no power. I'd say if you feel comfortable with it, use a stopper on the 5th or a suicide leash...I used a stopper. It really depends on your skill level. Are you riding unhooked (I am assuming), then definitely look for a different solution to minimize the kite being completely released.

how is on the water? I am not sure quite I understand what is happening but....

Relaunching that kite is basically the same as most other new 5th line kites..
If it is leading edge down, then pull the 5th line slightly to have it angled on the water (don't get it on it's back though), then pull one back line, you'll see the kite react immediately, it'll start moving towards the edge of the window. Adjust the pull on the back line, and release the 5th line as you see fit, while the kite is moving....by the time it is at the edge of the window, it will be on the side and ready to go...

If the kite is completely upside down (canopy), pull both back lines to create some tension on the 5th line...try to get it back on its leading edge, and then do as above. There is a shortcut here, but it requires some more training..keep it simple in the beginning and then try the more advanced relaunch techniques later...

It should not be very hard, might take some practice, but when you get it, it is easy to relaunch 5th line.

a.

Fuzel
Rare Poster

Postby Fuzel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:01 am

Hey thnx a lot for all the answers, just in time, there is wind :)

When i properly dropped the kite(on its fronttube) no prob to relaunch. Just like the old 4-liners...

but the problem is when letting go the bar after a missed pass....

I will try suicide but wont really feel comfy with that i guess. Specially when its onshore or crowded.

So pulling the rear lines i havent tried yet, always just one at the moment... Will try that first. (when fronttube is facing me and the upper canopy(where there are no struts) is on the water right? )

I rode Vegas5 first and there when i dropped it (that was a hard looping bastard :thumb: ) the kite was allways allready in starting position, but i guess the bar didnt rise up so much...
So i will also set the stopper down and hope it works on the torch as well as on the vegas(used it with the naish bar as well,damn good bar).

Another question is... sometimes when doing danglepass and goiong to much downwind missing hte pass. the kite rolls over. Any idea i have is grabbing the fifth while still in the air and pulling it....!?!?!??! any other poss. to adress that ?

Thnx

Kons

watomi
Rare Poster

Postby watomi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am

What are you using for the stopper ball? Does it come with the bar? Have you guys got a picture?

Will there be any changes in the setup for the new 09 bar?

Thx

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:15 am

Fuzel wrote:Hey,

i recently got a pair of torch 3s. My problem is that i dont get the hang of the relaunch. When i drop the kite on the fifth. It turns over and flys to the water and lays still. Then its really a pain in the *** to get it to the edge of the window. i can hardly do it standing i have no clue how even poss in deep water!? Sometimes the steering lines arent in bewtween the kites shapes but going on the outside and then its even harder if not imposs. to get a quick relaunch......

So to the torch riders. How do i do it, whats the magic technique? Or am i supposed to adjust the stopper for the bar going up the fifth? i just use it on factory setting at the moment.
Is the kite supopsed to lay on the water or does it have to fly over the watersurface? (so lenghten or shorten the stopper)?
Any information appreciated!!!!

Cheers

Kons

Relaunching 5th line is a little different from 4 lines as there is no need to swim..but I think you know all this...doing handlepasses you should be through your share of relaunches :o :o , where you don't want the flat kites on its back, you do want an angle on the c kites, so while in the water, pull in a little on your 5th lines (or swim towards the kite...but really pulling the 5th line a little is way easier, to that the kite is about lets say 45 degrees..maybe a little less...then pull one of the back lines, and presto...the kite starts working it's way to the edge of the window. As with any relaunch, make sure you pay attention to the signals the kite gives you, and adjust how much you pull...

no need to adjust the factory settings...and definitely not necessary to ride suicide...it will not help once the kite hits the water...
rode Vegas5 first and there when i dropped it (that was a hard looping bastard ) the kite was allways allready in starting position, but i guess the bar didnt rise up so much...
So i will also set the stopper down and hope it works on the torch as well as on the vegas(used it with the naish bar as well,damn good bar).

Another question is... sometimes when doing danglepass and goiong to much downwind missing hte pass. the kite rolls over. Any idea i have is grabbing the fifth while still in the air and pulling it....!?!?!??! any other poss. to adress that ?
This is when you miss and override / pass the kite at speed?
I tried a slinshot stopper that was too big, then I tried the small Slingshot stopper, and it wasn;t all that successful. If you're doing handlepasses (I will never do them), then maybe suicide?

I usually pull one of the backlines, that keep any kite from falling like that...I always try to pull the upper back line...(if there is an upper one)

a.

Return to “Kitesurfing”