Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Crossbow IDS Review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS Review

Postby STORMBIRD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 am

well..uh..you guys all realise that cabrinha kites have no active stopper and that this years kite doesn't even have that overide click down thing...i hope ya'll like spinning your bar with both hands and riding around hunched over like a tree sloth...and damn those things are pricey this year! must admit, i rode the new crossbow 10 and that sucker sure could jump though :argue:

hapa13
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: kook
Gear: like to try everything

Postby hapa13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 am

kitemann - if you go 7, 9, 11m, then you're basically replacing each of your kites size for size. This will cover the exact same windrange you currently have. Probably the easiest transition. Remember - the 11m is really the new 12. It seriously matches everything about the old 12 (plus, it's faster) If you really prefer riding smaller kites whenever possible, then perhaps the 7, 10 combo and just have a good light wind directional (like a smaller fish) on hand for the days when you would've taken the 12m out. The 10m has a pretty impressive range. It really sounds like you need to take a spin on the 10m and decide for yourself. I haven't had a wave session as of yet on the new kites as it's the middle of summer here. But I think you could probably get away with the 7 and 10m combo with the right quiver of boards (good twin for the flat days and a solid directional for waves and lighter wind days and maybe even a wakeskate or skimboard just to mix it up.)

BTW - I'm blown away at the number of riders that are having issues with using a bar without a stopper. Here in Maui, most of our local riders flying Cabrinha Bow kites either leave the stopper unit unseated or in several cases, take the sleeve off completely as having the the unit engaged just ends up smashing your fingers against the red and black balls on certain tricks and especially during wave riding sessions. It's so much smoother going into a bottom turn and just being able to sheet out as far as possible to shut off the kite as you come around. Having the stopper there usually just ends up smashing your first and second finger. I just had 2 separate hour long sessions and was throwing many single and double rotational tricks. Unspinning the bar was never a problem. On singles, I'd just unspin into the other hand and on doubles I let go completely to let the bar unspin. It slides all the way up and re-grabbing it is never an issue. I wouldn't stop or sink or barely even slow down upon riding away from the trick. But as mentioned before in the original post, there is something in the works for those riders that have grown accustomed to having the stopper unit there. Just be patient.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 am

IWB2 wrote:Newhere,
The 12m Omega is closer to the 11m IDS........ the 13m IDS is meant to be similar to the 14Contra. So if you are thinking of going for the 13m IDS, ask yourself, would you have ridden a 9m Xbow and 14m Contra... I know for me going with the 9m and 13m(14Contra) would be too big a gap. I think the 9m Xbow3 would be better complemented with 11m Xbow IDS.
Personally I am going for a 9m2 and a 13m2. 67kg, riding a 9m2 SB1 and a 14m2 Contra today. 9m2 and 11m2 sounds way to close in my ears.

(Never used the stopper clicked in either)

Steve Martin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach and Blue Lagoon Marina on Lake St. Clair around Detroit, Michigan
Gear: Cabrinha: Contra 14m and Omega 9m
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Steve Martin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Kosh wrote:
IWB2 wrote:Newhere,
The 12m Omega is closer to the 11m IDS........ the 13m IDS is meant to be similar to the 14Contra. So if you are thinking of going for the 13m IDS, ask yourself, would you have ridden a 9m Xbow and 14m Contra... I know for me going with the 9m and 13m(14Contra) would be too big a gap. I think the 9m Xbow3 would be better complemented with 11m Xbow IDS.
Personally I am going for a 9m2 and a 13m2. 67kg, riding a 9m2 SB1 and a 14m2 Contra today. 9m2 and 11m2 sounds way to close in my ears.

(Never used the stopper clicked in either)
I never use the stopper either.

I'm going to get a 13m to replace my 14m Contra and then I'm trying to decide what to replace my 9m Omega with. Sounds like most people are saying to replace the 9m with the 10m.

sickboy
Rare Poster

Postby sickboy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Hello everyone, I just totally wrecked my 12m crossbow2 and need a replacement. I already ordered 12m crossbow 3,and then realised I could go for IDS 11m or 13m instead. Whats the best option, is there a big difference between cb 2 and cb IDS? If there is I dont mind cancelling my order and spending some extra money on IDS.
Thanx for any suggestions
Marek
ps. Ive got 9m cb1as well, which Im still quite happy with

hapa13
Medium Poster

Postby hapa13 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 am

There is a considerable difference between the CB2 and the CB IDS. However the differences are such that it should only take about 5 or 10 minutes to adjust to. The CB2's had the lightest bar pressure of the first 3 - so the adjustment to the new model will be seamless. It still has the same amazing windrange you're used to. The jumping is still huge (maybe a little higher or possibly just longer hangtimes - I'm convinced it's a little of both). The thing still relaunches super easy and the safety system is second to none. However, the new model will feel smoother, quicker, more manuverable, with upwind-ability that easily matches the SB3.

We just had a demo day for the new CB and SB IDS kites on Saturday which we had lighter winds for, but almost everyone that tried them came back in smiling. Girls were on 8's, 9,s and 10's while guys rode 11-16's. There were 2 or 3 riders that insisted on riding a size smaller than we recommended for the conditions and needless to say, they ended up downwind. But an icy cold beverage and some fresh BBQ had them all smiles again (along with another run on the next size up). Several of the riders were older Crossbow fans and every single one of them all had positive remarks for the new model. Most were asking to have another go at it on a more regular Maui day. It usually blows 25 to 30 every day here in July and demo day was a whopping 18 or 20 at most early on, then fading into maybe 10 or 12 by late afternoon. They said that while it still felt like a Crossbow, it was smoother, faster, better than before. Maybe it should be the Steve Austin model - aka the Bionic Crossbow.

So CB3 over CB IDS? No straight forward answer as their both great kites, just a different feel from one another. The new IDS version is definitely worth a second look though.

kitemann
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitemann » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Hey Hapa tks fo rthe extra info . Was wondering if you have had a chance to ride the switchblade IDS ? . A lot of guys over here moved from xbows onto Swichblades this last season and they felt it a better kite. I have never ridden a switchblade before. How will the Swichblade compare to the xbow in performance ? Jumps - same height or higher ? riding waves ?. I had kind of made up my mind to go for the xbows IDS but a loty of guys seem to think that the switchblades a better kite.

Tks dude

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Hapa,

Have you had any comments about the 16m ? I have read all the comments and reviews on the smaller CB IDS but havnt seen anything specific to the 16m and was hoping for confirmation that it performs just as well in the large size for us wind challenged heavy wieghts.

Thanks

hapa13
Medium Poster

Postby hapa13 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 am

kitemann - I've been spending some time on the new SB IDS lately and have pretty much the same reaction as I did about the new CB IDS. It's everything it's always been ........ plus more. A little smoother, even more stable, great wind range (still smaller range than the CB though) and superb jumping. The CB still jumps higher with slightly longer hangtimes when sending the kite. The SB provides a very consistent and steady pull and stays forward in the window. This provides a very stable platform for unooked tricks and especially wake style, load and pop stuff. For massive jumps and faster loops and maximum wind range and more precise control in waves, I'd still recommend the CB as it is slightly more versitile in these areas. If load and pop is more your style, then SB will take care of you nicely.

islandbound - we had a couple of the big boys show up to our demo this past Saturday and they were some of the happiest riders all day. One of them (a current '08 Contra 17 owner) was spotted jumping the thing and shooting way upwind above everyone else on his regular twin tip. I believe he commented that this was everything his 17 was but better. The other rider said it was the most fun he'd had all day. These guys were both well over the 200lb mark.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 am

kitemann wrote: A lot of guys over here moved from xbows onto Swichblades this last season and they felt it a better kite. I had kind of made up my mind to go for the xbows IDS but a loty of guys seem to think that the switchblades a better kite.
I can see why those guys moved from xbow to SB. But i think the new Xbow ids is more comparable to a SB then to a Xbow, in terms of the feel of the kite. So i wouldnt be surprised to see those guys move back to Xbow. Xbow ids still remains the kite with the widest range.

If you are not doing much unhooked/wakestyle, then i think the Xbow is the best choice.

Return to “Reviews”