Postby .Joel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:25 am

A photo of the new 2009 Eclipse Bar. More later :thumb:

Source: http://www.extremekites.com.au/product- ... 080715337/

Regards,

.Joel

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2009 Eclipse Bar

Postby STORMBIRD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:58 am

No mini 5th line? Below the bar depower? Honestly, I have really grown to like the current 2008 bar.....Why not just replace the depower strap for something simpler and leave it be?....Anyway.......Thrusters Rule! :thumb: .....Oh and hey Chris and Dimitri......when can we get our hands on the new stuff....2009? :brainshit:

klimber
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby klimber » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:32 pm

what are the chances of when you depower you'll accidently grab the emergency release?

what about when you have a lot of depower pulled in and the tail wraps around the emergency release and you go to adjust and pull the emergency?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:14 pm

It'd be nice to see a real picture.

The CAD drawing does not always accurately represent what the final construction will look like.

I thought the old Eclipse bar worked great. It had everything you needed and despite the recent move to below the bar depower, I liked the above the bar MORE/LESS depower straps. That said, the bar did have a hacked together look to it...like someone grabbed a bunch of off-the-shelf marine hardware and screwed it all together. It worked, but wasn't as polished as it looks like this new one will be.

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:31 pm

toddjb123 wrote:That said, the bar did have a hacked together look to it...like someone grabbed a bunch of off-the-shelf marine hardware and screwed it all together.
The 2008 bar? You gotta be kidding, it looks great!

I've gone from Cabrinha (above the bar, poor depower strap design) to Slingshot (below the bar depower strap) to Eclipse (above the bar, good depower strap design).

I don't see the need for below the bar. Other than cosmetically, I don't see the improvement in function. When depowered, it offers a lot of rope to tangle in the sensitive areas in the rig. It has the ability to go from depowered to accidentally powered up (rope slack sucked up by powerful kite) in an instant. It adds wear to the line under the most load. It is hard to pull out when it is all the way in. The only thing good i see about them is that they offer the ability to use one of those sliding two-hole stoppers.

The only things I can see to improve the eclipse bars (2008) are these:
- A little more durable rubber coating, mine is starting to peel a little bit on the more used areas.
- SS rings on the mickey mouse (front lines) to act as additional leash points. (extra $$)
- A vinyl sheathed CL rope
- Multiple steering line attachment points on the bar (a la flysurfer 2009)
- Through the bar safety like 2008 with larkshead that you can attach to center line assembly, or either power line.
- Less finicky QR. Mushroom style. 360 push away.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:03 pm

discojuggernaut wrote:The 2008 bar? You gotta be kidding, it looks great!
Nope, that's my opinion.

Functionally, I think everything works great.

But you have to admit it has a chunky pieced together look to it.

No slight intended on the brand, the kites, or the man ;) . I've just seen much more polished looking bars. Look forward to seeing '09 solution for sure.

I do agree with you on the below the bar depower, but, it is the "in" thing now for marketing bars. "Simple below the bar depower in reach of everybody." I like reaching up and pulling down a strap rather than having to reach down and pull something out. You have less leverage and as you said, you then have that slack line to manage. (LF managed this nice with the Havoc bar BTW)

I do love the below the bar leash points though. That's nice. :thumb:

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I’m sorry that CAD image got posted. That is the original design we made for the 2009 bar, I don’t know how it got online!! In any case I will tell you what we have coming as far as the Bar goes for 2009:

The bar itself has been totally redesigned. The grip has changed and its now a smaller diameter bar with more grip. The insert has also been changed to accommodate the two ropes and also the kill switch.

All the bars will be on the double rope system. Personally I like the straps that we have, but the bellow the bar is very easy to operate because of a unique design we have, so its even easier then before and allot cleaner looking. So its good.

The QR has been redesigned to offer what we call Universal Release this take the 360 to a new lever allowing the user to pull, push way, pull sideways...or any direction and the QR will release. So all users can operate the QR without anything to get used to. There is a big ball that you pull so its easy to find, its also not dangeling around, stays in the same place everytime. So no risk of it wraping around the depower line or something. Also we removed the trigger design so this will prevent any unwanted releases.

For 2009 we also have a sliding stopper which is removable, yes no more EZ lock.

Also we will have a kill switch system that full de-powers the kite similar to a 5th line.

Best of all for 2009 you will only need one bar for every kite, every bar will adjust from 45cm to 55cm.

Well now you know what we are doing for the 2009 Bar, I will let you know what we are doing with the kites as they are ready. Expect some really nice products for 2009 and a few new surprises as well.

Thanks for your support- Chris

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:48 pm

eastcoastkite wrote:...
Best of all for 2009 you will only need one bar for every kite, every bar will adjust from 45cm to 55cm....
That's a great idea, Chris! Thanks for the details.

kiteriding
Medium Poster

Postby kiteriding » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Wow , Thk Chris , good news, one for 2 sizes , nice... Other addon look sharpe.

Thk to give us post with the new 2009 products.

What about the 2009 Name products Contest for your new C kites:-)

Bye Stef :bye:

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi Guys

for 2009 we will have 4 kites:

Thruster: Same as always very high performance very big jumps huge POP and now with very easy relaunch.

Nano: This will be the all-round entry level kite, Its very affordable with super fast relaunch and lots of nice features. This is a nice kite for 90% of the new ridders.

KIMA: Is the pure wave kite, for wave ridders that want to rip.

Poacher: This is the snow kite.

No C kite for 2009 we dont see the market for this- only pros want this and they dont pay!! so we made a snowkite and wave kite instead.

Ok that is all I am going to say.

Return to “Kitesurfing”