Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Repairing valves that are delaminating - HELP!

Forum for kitesurfers
sbkiter
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Repairing valves that are delaminating - HELP!

Postby sbkiter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 am

Hoping that someone can recommend a fix for delaminating valves... I've done some searches and it seems that Kitefix's Peel2Fix or U-Stick valves are the best options but just don't have the time to wait for it to be shipped to me and the 'local' kite shop is a couple hours away...

Has anyone had experience with glueing the valves back on the bladder with Aquaseal, 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive, or 3M Marine 5200 PU Adhesive or could recommend alternative glues/adhesives that I can get at a local hardware or marine store?

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Repairing valves that are delaminating - HELP!

Postby mobettah » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:00 am

Aquaseal worked great for me. Just make sure you get the old adhesive off.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 am

have not tried this yet, but..according to our two local expert on re-gluing nipples on their Norths...get all the old adhesive off, use aquaseal, put on the outerring of the nipple, and the same on the bladder, use something to put pressure on it overnight. One guy has actually made his own little tool for pressuring, I think it is two tape rolls, and then put some book on the top tape roll...the tape roll fits over the nipple and puts pressure on where the glue is...key is to not use too mucuh so you glue the bladders back and front to eachother...

a.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:59 am

Ok , here is how " my " kite repair shop do it if the nipples are in " one " piece .

Sand both parts gently , clean with alcohol , apply contact glue on both sides , wait 3-4 minutes , attach the nipple back into place and put some pressure on it ( they use for this purpose a big and heavy metal cylinder and a hammer )

Ready

One day I asked : do you use " ordinary " contact glue for this ? and the answer was : Yes and it works like a charm !

Saludos

Franz

PS. Just avoid wrinkles and it will be all fine ... oh and put a bit of talk ( baby powder is fine) around if you applied to much glue and sticks out a bit .

sbkiter
Rare Poster

Postby sbkiter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback and tips - hoepfully I can make this work...

kiteriding
Medium Poster

Postby kiteriding » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:48 pm

Peeltofix from KiteFix.com, new products , it's easy to fix, cost about nothing and you have a lot for fix other valves . :wink:

see : www.kitefix.com

Aloha Wave :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”