Ram Air Light Wind Lies

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Ram Air Light Wind Lies

Postby Pump me up » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:24 am

Typical ram air lies and exaggerations. 8m jumps in 8 knots.
Last edited by Pump me up on Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ram Air Light Wind Lies

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:29 am

I like my vintage 80's Oakley Blades better

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:39 am

How original... This is from when, 1999?

finalsound
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island GA, Mud Lake ID

Postby finalsound » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:24 am

who knew 5.3 knots could throw up such bug whitecaps and windswell?!

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:34 am

Pump Me Up,
Do you have a link to the 15 meter jumps in 5 knots for the Best Hellfish?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2339271&p=442853#p442853

Pump Me Up,
Why do you slander Chris Calthorp's name? He hasn't put a post on this forum since 2002.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1219&p=4823&hilit=chris+calthrop#p4823
Chris Calthorp sounds like a good guy and was a good kiter (he kited Jaws in 1999, have you?).
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2338257&hilit=chris+calthrop

Chris Calthrop also held a speed record in 2001 (do you hold any speed records?)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2316745&p=229196&hilit=chris+calthrop#p229196

Pump Me Up, you are a broken record of a tired tune. You harp on what Chris Calthorp's wind meter was reading. The photographer could have been reading in units of m/s instead of knots, can you tell from the picture? The photographer could have been standing in a wind shadow? Those propellor wind meters are only as good as their calibration. I had one and threw it in the garbage. I prefer the wind pressure gauges like the Hall wind meter, very accurate and reliable.
The picture shows a big jump in less than 20 knots of wind. End of story.
Last time I checked it is 2008. Pump Me Up, just so you know the Blade3 and Flysurfer Warrior are no longer in production. And fyi, neither is the Best Hellfish...

Riding a blade3 with fixed 2 lines is bad ass imo. I have a lot of respect for kiters who ride without a chicken loop. It takes good board skills and a knack for choosing the right size kite for the current conditions.
Pump Me Up, rather than slandering good kiters, why don't try something new, by being constructive with your negative energy, and enlighten us by e.x. posting pictures showing off your kite skills and tricks. That way you can gain some respect from your peers. You'd also gain more respect if you'd put your name in your posts, and add your location in your preferences.
Signed,
Bric

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:35 am

Pump me up wrote:
lightwinds.jpg
Typical ram air lies and exaggerations. 8m jumps in 8 knots - just bullshit.

For the full, ridiculous story, check out Chris Calthrop's webpage: http://www.k48.com/
the text reads... On the beach the windmeter
was reading around 4.5 knots with peaks of 7.5 knots. The kite is a prototype light wind Blade 3. The wind then picked up to 10 knots and I had to come in as I was maxed...

Some real FACTS - Kite is bigger than 10.5m
On my 10.5m² Blade 3 - I am maxed out at 15knots (@ 75Kg)

Power you can get from a Blade 3 especially the bigger sizes is unbelievable compared to any other similar kite.
There is no mention about his forward speed, but can tell you if travelling at any reasonable speed on a 10.5m or bigger Flexi Blade 3 and you send the kite for a jump you arent going to stay on the water - you WILL fly... :cool2:

Might even be tempted to let you have a go on my 10.5 next time you're at the beach and its blowing 8 to10 - if you think you can handle it and dont have a fear of heights... :wink:

:lol: :thumb:

robbygk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: bournemouth, poole, sandbanks
Style: Freeride
Gear: flysurfer unity 10m, pulse2 8m and speed 3 15m

Postby robbygk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:42 pm

I sorry that I've finally had to lower myself to writing a reply on this forum because of the person who goes by the name of "Pump me up"

It seems that every kite company makes claims that their new bit of kit is the best thing since sliced bread.

Its a shame that because of this person, i still get people coming up to me asking if its possible to relaunch a flysurfer off the water, funnier when they see how fast it is to relaunch them.

I'm all for everyone trying different things on the water, but if i'm to belive what PMU is telling me. That because of all the bridles etc, my kite is so useless it would be impossible to even get the kite in the air, yet alone have any time on the water in low winds.
So how come I was the only guy out yesterday who was happily powered, going up wind, and all in all have a great session on my 15m speed2 and my skimboard.
And yet a guy on a 16m crossbow on a light wind board was having to work his kite for all its worth?

And yes before you end up doing a cut and paste from an old posting, I've happily gone out on my twintip in 30 knot winds using a pulse2 8m, and have never had any of the problems that PMU have promised would happen.

All I can say to everyone who reads any of his posts is to take them with a large pinch of salt.

Just ride what you what, were you want, and enjoy!!!
Last edited by robbygk on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:27 pm

liar!
u mean your flysurfer can fly??? i mean it has been designed to NOT fly and be a sea anchor....
but i have the same problem than u , my speed² keeps flying in low winds and power me....i dunno, they fail the design , may be the speed3 will be a better sea anchor....

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 pm

PMU is a forum troll. If you notice, which I am sure most of you have, he can only use pictures and stories of foil kite from years gone by. He tries, but fails, to ignore current trends in foil kites.

He is just good for a few laughs and that is all.

robbygk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: bournemouth, poole, sandbanks
Style: Freeride
Gear: flysurfer unity 10m, pulse2 8m and speed 3 15m

Postby robbygk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Have to say, he's up the profile of the company no end.

Be good to see some kind of proof that this guy has some kind of back ground in kite or wing design. I'd happily start to take a bit of notice then, instead of having a laugh at the ravings that he posts.

Anyway, I got into kiting for the fun side, not this nit picking side of it.
Just ride what, were and when you want, makes life a lot easier

Return to “Kitesurfing”