soarer
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2007 12m Boxer - Need something smaller

Postby soarer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi all

I´m looking for a couple of recommendations for a kite to add to my 12m Naish Boxer. I need something that works well between 25-35 knots and is not totally different from the Naish in terms of handling and feel. What I like about the Naish is the depower, the relatively easy relaunch and quality.

I just completed IKO Level 3, use a Nobile 666 132x41 and I´m approx 73kg.

Thanks
Diego

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2007 12m Boxer - Need something smaller

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey Diego,

do you ride the Boxer 1:1? In anycase, try the new Cults, they don't feel exactly like the boxer, they do give you more feedback than the boxer and are easier to feel where they are in the window. They are also more useful in their upper ranges as you can easily control and turn them when the kite is very depowered.

I would say for the windrange you are looking at a CULT 7.5 would work...if you like to ride very powered maybe even a 9...I'd say 35 knots is quite a lot of wind tho....I've not had the 9 out in that much wind, but it provides a good overlap with the 12...and it is so much faster.
So if the wind is mopre often 25 knots, go with the 9, if it is more 35 then the 7.5.

If you want something in between maybe consider the 2009 Helix 8...it is different in terms of feel, but a very very nice kite.

Do you have a chance to test them out?

a.

soarer
Rare Poster

Postby soarer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks for that.

Yes the Boxer is setup 1:1. Maybe I also should have mentioned that I need a kite that is not too specialized in any style (waves etc.). Most of my kiting will probably done in Paros, Greece which means flat or light chop.

Trying out will probably be difficult. I missed an excellent chance last week when I was in Paros at a Naish center, but they had no wind at all the entire week.

Any thoughts about how good an Advance Kaiman or North Evo might fit my bill?

Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:36 am

I've only seen the Evo once, here only one guy has it..he likes it tho and it seems super low aspect. , and I have never seen the other one so I can;t help you with that.

I think if you like the Boxer you'd love the Cult. It is a really nice easy going good performing kite not specialized in anything but good overall performance...IMO of course.

Where on Paros do you kite? I haven;t been there...the only Greek Island I've been to is Korfu...a really really nice island.
a.

soarer
Rare Poster

Postby soarer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Pounda beach in Paros. I have family there so I travel to Paros at least 2-3 times a year. If there's wind, it's typically too much for my 12.

Will take a closer look at the Cult then. Never really considered any of the Sigma's so far. Are you referring to the 08 or the 09 already?

Thanks
Diego

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 pm

I had the 08 10.5 and 7.5 both of which were super good kites. The 09 is a little better in everything IMO, but the 08 is still a super nice kite.

So to me that would just be a matter of if you can afford it. The Cults are reasonably priced, and the 09 comes in two versions, one with the octopus system and one without that is even more reasonably priced.

The 09 9 meter is really nice and smooth and can handle a tonn of wind, also the new bar is improved upon...but as I said either one is really nice..it is a matter.

Just note that just because I like a new kite and say it is better, doesn't make the other kite bad in any way, of course flaws often surface when you compare it with something better...but I mean I still think the Boxer SLE was a nice kite, but I do like the Sigmas quite a lot more...and for the use you are describing I'd say the Cult is just about perfect. :-)

A.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:11 am

Naish designer actually talks about the Cult and the new changes here:
http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/ASNEWS_ne ... __123.html

from about 20 mins...

a.

Return to “Kitesurfing”