Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island GA
Gear: solo, spleene, royal, underground
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite for 17mph-30mph

Postby royal pain » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Want a fast kite with good lift but also want to do controlled unhooked tricks with good hang time.
I'm 160 lbs, kiting ocean and flats. ?Roo9m, Era, ect. Tell me your fav with it's wind range and why it rocks.

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster

Re: Kite for 17mph-30mph

Postby RickyBobby » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:02 pm

You need a 8-9m Bow or other kind of flat kite.

I'm sure everyone else would agree.

Cheers!

RB

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Easy... get the EH Rippehr v2 (2007 model) 10m brand new for $495 USD from OffDaLip (if he still has any left www.OffDaLip.com ).... If OffDaLip is out of their clearance sale, then get the new EH Rippehr (or FreakDog Unleashed.. same kite) v5 (2009 model). Outrageously good kite at a super price. OffDaLip also has some 8m Rippehrs if you'll be pushing over 30 mph a lot. OffDaLip's pricing enabled me to buy both a 10m EH Rippehr and a 10m EH Beast this season. Love both kites. The Beast is more grunty, and the Rippehr is faster and quicker to jump. Both give good hang time.

See this discussion in this forum: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2350046

As far as I know, Ariel was using the Rippehr when he won the PKRA Freestyle event last year.... which, to my recollection is the only time such as event has been won on a bow/SLE kite?

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Windrider wrote:Easy... get the EH Rippehr v2 (2007 model) 10m ?
10m for 30mph (26 knots).
Do you want to kill "royal pain " ?

I am 90 Kg (200 lbs) and I ride my 9 Xbow in the range 20 knots to 30 knots.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm

marcfrm wrote:...Do you want to kill "royal pain " ?

I am 90 Kg (200 lbs) and I ride my 9 Xbow in the range 20 knots to 30 knots.
No, I definitely don't want to kill "Royal Pain" (isn't that the villain bad girl in the super hero high school movie "Sky High"...) But, that's what I use, and I'm 170 lbs.

Here's the wind charts: http://www.freakdogkites.com/ripperkite.html They do have a 6m, 8m, 9m, and 10m. The Super-Sale pricing at OffDaLip is for the 10m and the 8m versions. The 8m would probably work super if your bottom end is truly around 17 mph. I've used my 10m down into the sub-12 mph range during the lulls. Those wind charts might be for the v3 version, but, as I recall, the tables were pretty similar for the v2 versions that OffDaLip is selling. Also, the OffDalip pricing is kite-only.

royal pain
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island GA
Gear: solo, spleene, royal, underground

Postby royal pain » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:41 am

windrider, did you buy the 07 version and is that what you are referring to as a great kite? It is not the super flat bow like the 08s. Does it perform the same? How does it compare to your Best kites(as a frame of reference)?
rp

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 am

I like my Best Nem HP 10 for that wind range.

Ed

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Windrider » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:21 am

royal pain wrote:windrider, did you buy the 07 version and is that what you are referring to as a great kite? It is not the super flat bow like the 08s. Does it perform the same? How does it compare to your Best kites(as a frame of reference)?
rp
One thing is that EH doesn't seem to release kites on an annual basis like most manufacturers. Seems that, once he makes a significant improvement, he puts it into production without regard to what time of year it is. So the Rippehr went from v2 to v5 in about 18 months? As far as I know, the one I have is the early 2007 version.

Mine is the version 2 (v2) Rippehr which is described as "A second generation flat kite with the Legaignoux license oriented to the advanced rider." It seems flatter than my 2006 Waroo, but not as flat as my EZE 13m. It definitely handles gusts, high end range, easier jumps, better hang time, smoother landings, and faster turns better than my 2006 Waroo. Keep in mind that it is a 10m versus my 2006 Waroo 12m, so it has a built-in "quickness" advantage there. But, even though it is a 10m, it has a wider range than my Waroo 12m at both the high and low ends.

I like the Rippehr much better than my 2006 Waroo. I don't know how they would compare against the 2007 or 2008 Waroo. I didn't test ride the new Waroos because I didn't like the idea of battens (2007) and 6-pulleys (2008) in the bridle that Best is currently offering. The EH setup is much more complexity-free. Very simple bar, 1:1, with only one pulley on each back bridle.

As far as I know, the Rippehr that I have is the same model as the one Ariel used in his win.

I love the kite, and the EH kites have replaced my Best quiver with much improvement in performance. The incredible savings from OffDaLip were just icing on the cake that enabled me to get both the 10m Rippehr and the 10m Beast instead of just one kite. If you can get a good deal on the current model (v5) Rippehr or FreakDog Unleashed, then they might even be better. I'm stoked that I got a super deal on an excellent kite(s) that have provided much improved performance over what I had.

It would be interesting to hear how people would compare the EZE 11m and 9m with the Rippehr 10m and 9m. They're both EH kites. I heard that the EZE 9m is "between the Rippehr 10m and the Beast 10m".

Is there any way you can test ride the EH kites in your neighborhood? If so, try it!

Windfreeeek
Medium Poster

Postby Windfreeeek » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:32 am

Hello!

I use a 12m Torch for most conditions between 15 & 30kts. It has a amazing range and with a 5th line, no pulleys bridals and more, super reliable, safe and a LOT of fun. (and to start yet another flame..... you will not look like Quentin Crisp going for a stroll in NY... only joking :naughty: )

The new Torch is out shortly, but you may find some still in shops from 08 which are truly awesome kites.

Check out www.naishkites.com

Regards

~R

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:28 am

Windrider wrote: Here's the wind charts: http://www.freakdogkites.com/ripperkite.html
The 8m would probably work super if your bottom end is truly around 17 mph.
The shart says
- 8M: 17-32 kn
- 10M: 15-27 kn

17mph-30mph is: 15kn - 26kn so according to the shart your are right.

Have you fly before "strandard Bow kite" ?
If yes what was the difference with the "Ultra-Flat" EH ? (depower, turning speed, gust absorber)

Return to “Kitesurfing”