Forum for kitesurfers
crash&burn
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2009 Eclipse Bar

Postby crash&burn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:11 pm

chris do you use a modified version of the 08 control system with a piece of tube or something deflecting anything from hitting the trigger and releasing the kite?

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:47 pm

the only thing I did was cut off the RED pull tab and the neoprene cover, I have never had it open unwanted since I did that and tighten the rubber all the way.

mante
Rare Poster

Postby mante » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:31 pm

BullsShit.com wrote: Don't know if you understand the QR completely. The rubber ring is just a secondary to keep the clip in place. Works without, but might be a bit iffy. .

Ah BS, without the rubber strap, the hook would just flop around and wouldn't lock. Kite Attitude in France is the manufacture of the 2008 QR for Eclipse. From my recent emails with Kite Attitude, KA has mentioned three ways for an unintentional release; “the rubber is not very tight, the trigger that connects the loop can open the hook if you press it, and they’ve recently found out that the leash can sometimes press onto the end of the trigger, and therefore the quick releaser opens, especially if the leash is connected to the pink safety line next to the quick releaser." To date, I know of 7 local riders who have had an unintentional release. Five releases have been on, or near shore, with on-shore winds (think trees, swimmers, docks). The other two were in open water where the riders had time to re-hook and ride. Also, as far as I know, all riders had both hands on the bar, or had one hand on bar, the other hand on the board, at the time of releases.

Here is the Eclipse quick release with a modification that the manufacture (Kite Attitude of France) has recommended to prevent unintentional releases.

I'm looking forward to the '09 QR! IMHO, a QR like this, that is prone to release unintentionally, while riding with on-shore winds, with trees, docks, rocks, and swimmers, is a disaster waiting to happen, regardless of your abilities.

Cj

Uride2
Medium Poster

Postby Uride2 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:51 am

I'm curious, what design element in the kite makes it an easy kite to relaunch. What makes it more difficult to relaunch. (I can look at a windsurf sail design and can deduce how it will perform, have not figured out kite design at all)
eastcoastkite wrote:Hi Guys

for 2009 we will have 4 kites:
Thruster: Same as always very high performance very big jumps huge POP and now with very easy relaunch. .

slim
Medium Poster

Postby slim » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:07 am

what if i want to deploy the release with my left hand as maybe i broke my right hand? Thing looks like a piece of junk, a glorified death wichard shackle....360degrees? no good if i cant reach it with both hands

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 am

slim wrote: Thing looks like a piece of junk, a glorified death wichard shackle....
Are you referring to the picture a few posts above... of the 2008 model?
slim wrote:....360degrees? no good if i cant reach it with both hands
The "360 degrees" refers to an attribute of the 2009 model (that I've yet to see any pictures of)
I hear that pictures will be available very soon though.
eastcoastkite wrote:The (2009)QR has been redesigned to offer what we call Universal Release this take the 360 to a new lever allowing the user to pull, push way, pull sideways...or any direction and the QR will release. So all users can operate the QR without anything to get used to. There is a big ball that you pull so it's easy to find, it's also not dangling around, stays in the same place every time.
Marc

slim
Medium Poster

Postby slim » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 am

my bad, i though it was the 09 model above and looking at the first leaked cad photo i thought the release my be the same on the real09 bar. i look forward to seeing the 09 one, ad to see if they can get it right...

HJ11
Frequent Poster

Postby HJ11 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:16 am

I looks great and i cann´t wait to get my new 2009 quiver..

When will/can you post a picture of the new 2009 bar :dance3:

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:11 am

Below the bar depower? The only good thing about the 08 bar was the strap. The release was and is dangerous. The kite is great! But the new design with a ball? I'll pass on this also. Get a push away release and be done with it.

Keep making great kites just give the bar a decent overhaul.

wytcap
Medium Poster

Postby wytcap » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:12 am

What makes it dangerous?

Return to “Kitesurfing”