Gear: 12 m LF M-80 Gaastra 14m drop
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

board sandwich

Postby lilfitz61 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:13 am

I am looking to build a board.

give me feed back.

If i make just a ply board and put a rocker in it, do i drill holes for fins and straps, epoxy then attach? Can i glass a ply board.

Is there a benifit to sandwiching foam with ply or ply with a top and bottem of foam? Can it be a ply bottem with a thin foam top? and then glass the whole thing?

I found a youtube video on how to epoxy screws into foam by jamestown distributiors...is that a good way to do it?

My favorit idea is to do a ply bottem with a light foam top. them glass just the top???

Please tell me what you all think is the best way i know there is no set way to do anyof this. I sorta wana use both foam and ply

good winds

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Re: board sandwich

Postby bay surfer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:08 am

Done Wood/form composite, works, not worth the effort, they break more easy, but lighter. I like straight wood/fiberglass composite. Rocker, camber, different flex are possible. I use shaping/rocker/camber, and fiberglass stingers to change how a board rides. I place the stringers in the middle, saves wieght, but not as effective as on the outside.

kitehok
Medium Poster
Local Beach: TO

Postby kitehok » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:22 pm

I've thought of doing the same thing, but I agree with "bay surfer". If you're going to spend the time to shape and laminate a foam layer onto wood, might as well shape the entire board from foam. Maybe add 1 veneer of wood on the top if you want to use both.

I wouldn't even bother with glass on a wood board. 2 layers of quality plywood (baltic birch) makes a strong board. Feel free to glass if you don't care about the extra weight.

The Jamestown video is right-on for doing inserts. If you can, add glass bubbles to the epoxy mix, reduces weight and it's easier to sand.

lilfitz61
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sea sidepark, CT
Favorite Beaches: Outerbanks: Carolla, kitty hawk kites, Wild dunes SC
Style: wave, flat water
Gear: 12 m LF M-80 Gaastra 14m drop

Postby lilfitz61 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:27 am

I like these two boards (no the graphics but the board). Does anyone know how they were made, materials?? layup??

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2325923
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2338897
User: lord of boards (AWSOME boards)
(What is the dark edge around the board??

I was thinking of a wood bottem with thin foam top, epoxy/glass the whole thing.

how about ply board with a fiberglass strip down the middle??

is a wood board with just epoxy strong enough? and its a little cheaper i take??

Sorry for the questions i jsut want to do it right as fiberglass is $$$ now

Thanks

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:37 pm

OK, 1/2 in/12mm Shaped ( rocker+concave ) wood composite boards made out of (AC or Baltic Birch) are almost unbrakable. A unshaped 1/2 piece of ply (AC or Baltic birch) is also pretty hardy in a normal size, just make sure the largest amount of wood laminations run the length.

Door size straight ply boards do tend to brake if you jump alot, but they take 10mins to make!!!! and I always make 2 out of a sheet of ply.

Straight skinned foam boards will brake easy, so most plastic board makers will lay up multiple layers of whatever is thier pleasure, for a stonger board.

Foam/wood composite boards can be very stong/unbrakable, But you just dont slap some foam on a peice of ply for a strong board you dont use ply.. in this typeof construction the wood veneers act like glass and absorbs the epoxy stiffining the veneer and those veneers are married to thin foam pieces, for multiple laminations.

So when you make a Wood Composite, you make a stiffer stronger board by soaking the two inner ply veneer laminations with Epoxy stiffing and strenthing those laminations, and if you use glass that also makes a additional lamination

I usually also Glass (in between) the plys, under the pads and cross directional stringers, glass around all the edges. I use Glass drywall Tape for my glass it sticks to the board, comes in 2 in wide rolls is very cheap and easy to use. 7 to 8 oz of epoxy/flour (yes flour) ... mix is used in my layup. I finish the board in 7 coats of fast dry poly, which is a hell of alot (cheaper/durable/faster/LIGHTER) than Epoxy. Plus you can color poly for some bright colors, Just have your local hardware store add the color just like they do for paint, but AT ONLY 30% of the amount they normally use.

Laminating skills some use tables, floors, wieghts, bag pumps, clamps, My personall preference is a table and the use of drywall screw for clamping the board for layup, You just fill the screw holes with epoxy/floor, you dont even see them.
Heres a pixof my latest board with colored poly finish.
Attachments
05-09-08_1852.JPG

peligro18
Medium Poster
Local Beach: i just bought it!

Postby peligro18 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:46 pm

that is what i am aspiring to do

when you say that you put glass betwee laminates...
what do you meanand what for?

and what materials shold i buy?

Return to “Gear Builders”