Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

PKRA Germany 2008 - Day 2

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:54 am

PKRA News

Day 2 - Colgate Kitesurf World Cup 2008

A lot of the fans on the beach were eager to see their favorite kiteboarder in action but day 2 of the Colgate Kitesurf World Cup 2008 in St. Peter-Ording, Germany didn’t go quite as expected. The day started out with the clouds moving in early with the temperature at 16° Celsius and looked like it was not going to improve. Eventually the sun showed up by mid-day and has remained sunny for the rest of the day.
day2-8-press.jpg
day2-8-press.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
The wind was below 10 knots during the morning and having a Freestyle event was out of the question so race director Olaf Van Tol decided to go ahead with the Racing competition. However, due to some technical difficulties, the games were delayed for more than an hour. The planned race start of 11:15 am was delayed until 12:15 pm but eventually got started at 12:30 pm under marginal conditions.

“Early morning in the beach, we were doubtful if we were going to do Racing or Freestyle but then I decided to go with Racing since the wind tends to slip. From there it was quite a tiring process to get the race course out of the water due to problems with the boat not being able to transfer from land to the beach. Once it was on the beach and then in the water they couldn’t get it over the next sand bank so we lost like 1 ½ hours before we could actually get it started but at that time the wind was really getting marginal but we managed to pull off one marginal race. Better than nothing.”

Powered by a Flysurfer kite, Sebastian Bubbman of Germany was the first racer to finish after 28 minutes followed by North Kiteboarding team mates Charles Deleau (FRA) and Ron Reimer (GER). Race veteran Sean Farley (MEX) also of North Kiteboarding who came in fourth place aired his sentiment during EETV’s interview:

“The conditions were real marginal and kind of unfair when it’s like that. You can’t really do much of it but just go and try to make it upwind. I went around the course (but I don’t know how) there were times that I wasn’t even moving but I managed to do it. I came in 4th behind two foil kites and Charles. He [Charles] did real well for these conditions but other than that I didn’t see anybody else. When I looked back when I was finishing there was nobody else coming. They were all just in a mess trying to go upwind.”
day2-5-press.jpg
day2-5-press.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Gina Esteva (ESP) powered by a Best Kiteboarding kite lead the women to the finish line. A total of 37 kiteboarders competed in today’s race but only 15 managed to finish the course within the time limit. After the first race, the wind died down causing a 3-hour delay waiting for the wind to return. Without luck, the race director finally called the day off at 5:00pm.

Tomorrow, there is a very good looking forecast with the wind coming from the left cross-shore which is quite nice for Freestyle. The skippers meeting is set at 10:00 am with first possible start at 10:30 am.

Course Racing Results (after 1 race)

Men:
1. Sebastian Bubbman (GER, Flysurfer) – 0.7 pts.
2. Charles Deleau (FRA, North Kite) – 2 pts.
3. Ron Reimers (GER, North Kite) – 3 pts.

Women:
1. Gina Esteva (ESP, Best Kiteboarding) – 0.7 pts.
2. Kristin Boese (GER, Best Kiteboarding) – 2 pts.
3. Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA, Cabrinha) – 3 pts.

For more information please visit or contact:
http://www.kiteworldtour.com

Ramon FS
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: FS Sales
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PKRA Germany 2008 - Day 2

Postby Ramon FS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:00 am

Unfortunatly only 1 race was completed, because of shifting and dying winds in the afternoon.
Sebastian Bubmann (only competing in Boardercross and Racing, because of a crashed eardrum)
won his first ever PKRA Race! A big congratz!

Current standings:
1. Sebastian Bubmann (Flysurfer)
2. Charles Deleau (North)
3. Ron Reimers (North+Flysurfer)
4. Sean Farley (North)
5. Armin Harich (Flysurfer)
6. Dirk Hanel (North)
7. Eddy Lansink (Flysurfer)
8. Toby Braeuer (North+Flysurfer)
9. Johannes Marczinski (Flysurfer)

A small video of this day can be found here:

Daily more pics can be found here:
http://www.flysurfer.com/Gallery/v/phot ... up+SPO+08/

Ramon FS
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: FS Sales
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PKRA Germany 2008 - Day 2+3

Postby Ramon FS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 am

3 more races yesterday, all won by Charles, big respect to him!

Current standings after 4 races:
1. Charles Deleau (North)
2. Sebastian Bubmann (Flysurfer)
3. Ron Reimers (North+Flysurfer)
4. Sean Farley (North)
5. Sky Solbach (North)
5. Sami Gali (Best)
7. Armin Harich (Flysurfer)
8. Eddy Lansink (Flysurfer)
9. Gunnar Biniasch (Peter Lynn)
10. Dirk Hanel (North)

Video of Day 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4gcujOKN8E&feature=user