All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Board Build - Few questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:01 pm 
Rare Poster

The Kiteboard is 132x39cm, two 1/4" birch pieces glued together.
I am going to fiberglass the top and bottom and was wondering how thick I should glass it.

I have ordered Resin Research Epoxy and 3.7 oz glass. I was thinking of doing two layers of the glass per side. The board flexes a ton right now and can't imagine that it should be that way. I am trying to build a board that will last and my biggest fear is it snapping. Any input is appreciated.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: First Board Build - Few questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

2 layers should be fine - same number as I put on my board I am building which has a slightly thinner core. Not tested it yet so no idea how strong it will be.

1/2" thick should be more than OK - but if it is flexing as you say - which direction is the wood grain ?
It needs to go tip to tip full length of the board - NOT across the board edge to edge, if this is the case - yes the board will snap easily even with the glass and epoxy added.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:49 am 
Rare Poster

The wood grain is going length wise. I am more familiar with wakeboards and they have zero flex. My kiteboard is a really old Slingshot Manta and that also doesn't have any flex. I would say the flex is similar to a snowboard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

cjh12371 wrote:
The wood grain is going length wise. I am more familiar with wakeboards and they have zero flex. My kiteboard is a really old Slingshot Manta and that also doesn't have any flex. I would say the flex is similar to a snowboard.

8)

The 2 layers of glass will stiffen up the board a bit, but flex in a board does help landing jumps, carving turns and getting through choppy water.
IMO 2 x 1/4" ply bonded together would take a lot to snap.

Another option for even more strength is to bond the 2 sheets with a layer of glass and epoxy between them first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:08 pm 
Medium Poster

2 1/4" layers of baltic birch is what I used for a 131x39. Plenty strong and the flex is about right.

If you insist on adding glass, I would try 1 layer on top first. It might add the stiffness you're looking for and you can avoid a hot coat. If it's still not to your liking, slap a layer on the bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Put some concave in the board,and that will stiffen the board up, and you'll go upwind faster. Skip the Glass on the outside, adds alot of wt. A stiff wood board is not necessarily a good thing,
If you are skimming a board with fiberglass use a foam layup.

[ 6 posts ]