light wind kites.....

Forum for kitesurfers
kiterdude
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiterdude » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:55 am

Hmmmm I didn't know I was the only one who likes the ARX? 17,5? Is the ARX 17,5 really sooo bad. A friend of mine used a arx last year...he really ripped on the arx 17,5 and liked it very much?

The problem for me is that al these "super fast" kites to expensive are for me.

KITE HIGH!

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:06 pm

well...

i really love the arx 9.5 - great size!

the 13.5 is ok, too when well powered up - in light wind no fun. but any bigger kite is IMHO
too slow (turning rate), has too much forces on the bar and the water relaunch is too bad ...

i've seen some guys buying 13.5 and 17.5 or 19.5 (or 15.5 and 20+m) ...
and selleng the big ones then ...

a guy told me that his 23.5 starts about 2 knots earlier than his 15.5 and is no fun to fly - so he prefers it to wait till there are the 2 more knots ...

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:18 am

Hi,
I just wonder, how some guys can recommend the X2 20 as a nice low-wind-kite.
Did anybody ever try it?
Thisl

SteveM
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maseriah Island, Oman
Style: Surf

Postby SteveM » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:29 am

The X2 20 is unbelievable, I have had mine just over two weeks now.

It is very easy to relaunch, difficult to drop and takes a lot of wind. My wind range is 8 to 16 knots using two boards 146X42.5 and 141X37.

Yesterday I used the 20 the whole afternoon when previously I would have used two kites. This kite jumps high and floats for ages. My friend was powered up on an Aero14 and Spoiler150 and I was on my X2 20 in uoto 16 knots.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:25 am

The ARX's are very good in the mid range sizes. I can get going in 10 knots with my 11.5m. It's not super fast but comfortable enough in 12 knots to spin and do other stuff.

I've heard from many people that the X2 is far faster to turn so obviously this makes it good in the bigger sizes.

I find the Peter lynn C Quad a very good lightwind kite. Huge amounts of power and fast response (so fast that the smaller ones are scary to kitesurf with). They stay in the sky too when the lulls come. A very 4 line style of kite that can't be flown 2 line but the wind range isn't that bad.

Like the blade it will be hard to relaunch in the light winds but it doesn't fall much either. I use an 8.5m C Quad and can get going in 8 knots (can wakeboard and go upwind in 10 knots). I'm 75kgs and can hold it in 15 knots (at that stage however I'm usually using my ARX).

Other kites to consider are the windtools kites (mosquito and Stamos). Also the flysurfer kites have been raved about as an awesome lightwind tool (the warrior kite I heard has a wicked windrange on it).

Heaps of kites to choose from for light winds, not just inflatables.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:15 am

Hi Jido and everybody,
I agree with your opinion. I have also the 12.1, 15.1, and 18.1 F-One Mach1 kites.
Please see more on Topic:
Advice for experienced, lighter weight riders.
Just posted today.

DrLightWind

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:50 am

dunno what those guys are talking about with the Skoop 10.5 (14) kite!! Im always on a LWD 169 on pretty flat water and I never have fun until 13 knots! I weigh 82 kilos, yes I know how to fly it very well...but its not a light wind kite. Ive heard great things about the 12.5 but never flown it.

for the bug fart days, its my mastair 16 or nothing! Problem is my legs get awful tired trying to stay upwind on that huge foil until I get to 10 knots when I can pull the trim strap in some and park it up high..then I blaze upwind but the jumps become scary!

its all good fun., just hate summertime in Cancun

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:27 am

I(72kg) have a 12m X2, and it pulls like a train! In 10 knots it's as powerful as the 11.8 Wipika Airblast(with a directional), and in 20 knots it kicks ass! AT 25 knots it's getting evil...
HUGE RANGE! Puts 2002 kites to shame!!

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:46 am

DUDE I'm getting one!!!.... you won't see me with an X2 for a while though but by end of year should have one. I'll be getting both 18 and 12 but as yet undecided as to which one I'll get first...

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:31 am

I have been using the Aero 12 and 16 for 4 months and the x2 20 for 3 weeks. The x2 2o turns as fast as the Aero 12 which makes it a great kite for jumping. I am 80 kg and use the old Naish 7'6" directional for super light wind. The lowest wind I can stay upwind in is about 9-10mph on the x2. The high end of the x2 is quite impressive, I have taken it up to 16-18 mph on a wakeboard. Relaunch is ok for such a large and high aspect ratio kite. The main thing is that you have to fly the x2 much more precisely than an arx or the Aero. But as I am beginning to better fly the x2, the board speed at which you can go upwind is amazing. And you won't believe how fast this thing turns. Another benefit is that the x2 needs much lower force to steer it compared to an arx or Aero. The x2 flies over the front lines which is very different from all other Naish kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”