Forum for kitesurfers
Guam Bomb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CROSSBOW IDS

Postby Guam Bomb » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:51 am

HEY GUYS I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE LOOP FOR SOMETIME ...WHATS GOING ON WITH THE NEW CROSSBOWS IDS SYSTEM,WHAT SIZES ARE WORKING WELL?

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Re: CROSSBOW IDS

Postby lucie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:45 am

I have a 10m and like it.

My friend rode the 13m and said it was a dog.

Scallywag33
Medium Poster

Postby Scallywag33 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:26 pm

I finally got out on my 13 today, 12 gusting to 15 knots. The kite was really stable and turned on a dime. I was impressed with the jumping ability in these winds. I had the bar on the highest setting so there was bar pressure, but very resonable. I didnot use the ids system. hopefully more to follow.

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:51 am

I have the Xbow IDS 10 and 13 M. The 10 M has lots of grunt. I sailed it at 75 kg when guys were same weight on 16 M wa***s. The 13 M replaced my Contra 14 M and seems a great replacement too. However, I want to know if anyone has tried the new Xbows on the last two attachments for bar pressure rather then the company every other settings? Does this setting put stress on the leading edge and is it faster turning. Ran out of wind so haven't tried it myself?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 am

flylow wrote:I have the Xbow IDS 10 and 13 M. The 10 M has lots of grunt. I sailed it at 75 kg when guys were same weight on 16 M wa***s.
I think 16m wa***s are 2006 kites, aren't they? B**t hasn't made a 16m wa*** since 2006.... have they? Sure hope a 2009 kite out performs a 2006 kite.... The good news is that the 2006 wa***s are still on the water while most of the 2006 cab*****s are all dead with torn canopies due to UV exposure.....
:naughty:

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:33 am

Easy Windrider,

I was out on my 2006 16 Crossbow Sunday and it is still going strong. I have a few stitches here and there on the leading edge and struts and covered some small holes with sail tape. Lines and pulleys look a bit old; however, I am keeping an eye on them.

Also, I was out Saturday on my Waroo 17 2007 in light wind. I got dragged a bit away from my board due the kite not relaunching easily in the light wind. While I was bodydragging back to my board I was thinking to myself the Crossbow seems to launch much easier than this Waroo.

Clew In

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:38 am

Good points. Shows what I know about kites and ages. Guess I should have been "fair" and said there was also a 16 M (I believe) Cab Omega at the same time/same weight rider as the other kite guy, although less experienced while I had the 10 IDS. Not sure of that Cab kites age either. If it helps you...there was an experienced lady rider (not sure of her age... 40 ish ...said she was riding 4 years ) about 110 lbs on an old Naish 12 M Boxer who asked if I was on a 15-16 M kite. Sorry, next time I post I'll do more research for the techno weenies. Bottom line: My 200910M Xbow was/is gruntier than my 2007 10M SB II.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:33 am

Clew In wrote:Easy Windrider,

I was out on my 2006 16 Crossbow Sunday and it is still going strong. I have a few stitches here and there on the leading edge and struts and covered some small holes with sail tape. Lines and pulleys look a bit old; however, I am keeping an eye on them.

Also, I was out Saturday on my Waroo 17 2007 in light wind. I got dragged a bit away from my board due the kite not relaunching easily in the light wind. While I was bodydragging back to my board I was thinking to myself the Crossbow seems to launch much easier than this Waroo.

Clew In
I had a 16m Waroo. It was somewhat hard to relaunch in light wind 'cause it was such a big kite. I have recently started flying smaller kites in the same light wind and was surprised to find them just about as strong as the big kites. Also, they re-launch a whole lot easier. Easier to keep them in the air, too, because it takes less wind to keep them aloft. Unless you're a heavyweight, try the smaller kites with a bigger board.

Is it the same technique for re-launching a Crossbow as it is for a Waroo? Basically, you pull on one rear line until it catches the wind, then let it drift over to the edge to get a full shape, and when it starts to get to the edge, you release the rear line pressure and guide it up with the bar giving it plenty of slack?

Is the pre-IDS Crossbow like this? How's the IDS Crossbow?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll start another on re-launch techniques for different kites....

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Windrider,
with the Cabrinha "bow" kites you can water relaunch the kite anywhere in the power zone, ie you can hot launch it or let it ride to the edge of the window. I would say that because the kite rolls over so easily, relaunching the kite where ever it falls is most common. For most of the Cabrinha models, if the wind is more than 16knots, the kite will automatically (without the rider even touching the bar) roll itself off of the leading edge and sit at the edge of the window on its side, which means the rider only needs to steer the kite off the water.
The Xbow/Contra used to be the lighting fast relaunchers, now I say the Cabrinha Convert is the fastest which really says something. With the Convert, the rider does not have to take the hands off the bar or grab any lines unless you want to speed up the process.

Return to “Kitesurfing”