Forum for kitesurfers
Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lousy equipment day!!

Postby Burness » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:43 pm

I'd. like to hear about people's bad luck experiences during kiting. Basically to make me feel a little better.

First of all I blew out my leading edge and bladder on an old tree which people had been using for firewood on the beach I don't think that it can be repaired and it was my favourite kite. Then, as I was leaving I ran over my friends never been used 2008 Ocean Rodeo Zen 135 busting up the fin area on the toeside edge. Since I am a nice guy I offered to get him a new board.

Any takers on a worse equipment day? :bye:

Brad

dannyalvarez
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lousy equipment day!!

Postby dannyalvarez » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:49 am

Once in a while happens to every one..hey tomorow is another day..... good luck...!! :thumb:

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:03 am

Yea Brad, cheer up. It is not so hard to fix LE. Some dacron adhesive patches and stiches in your local sail repair shop and your kite is as good as new. And I'm sure the broken board is fixable to some degree

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 am

Take that day and throw it away.
It never happened. Don't think about it. Just move on.

My bad equipment days are over, but when we started kitesurfing our gear sucked, big time.
Imagine every-time you pump up you have to fix the bladders first, or your lines snap, or the leaders stretched, or your harness rubs, or bar breaks or chicken loop fails or board breaks or.....
Be lucky that you have not been there in the beginning.
Your day sucked, our first years sucked!

PS: 18 y ago I drove over my friends windsurf board = $1500 damage !

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:49 am

Feeling better already! :D

Brad

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby eightsmileys » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm

I went to kite one day and after a fall my board broke. So i was really pissed with that!!!!
The next day i went to fly my rc plane and since i had a long time to fly it i started going inverted without remembering a lot of things and then it came down so hard it was demolished. The engine broke up in 8 pieces.
Then i went for kiting and while flying the depower strap lines were cut in half (they were a bit torn so they snapped)
I came out and noticed that my new surfboards straps (used 2 times) started to have some holes inside.
I was really annoyed and while taking of my boardshorts by the car i noticed that the laces on the boardshort snapped as well. So i went for a beer to cheer up!!!!
After a week or so i bought a new board and went to kite again. While being quite away from the beach i tried a surface pass and after going 50 meters downwind i pass the bar and grap it by the side. So kiteloop (non lethal) comes i leave the bar so that i can get the leash and continue and the kite left from me downwind. Cause my mystic firestarted was missing something i had the leash on the spreader bar. While unhooking i was leashless. So i started swimming to get the kite (since in the past i managed to do so) but the kite after the kiteloop went far away from me. So i was swimming then a friend came i grab his harness and he bodydragged me to my kite. Note that my board wasn't visible by anyone. The wind was side on.
I picked up my kite and started bodydrag but no luck.
I came out at another spot downwind from the one i started and left the kite. Runned up a huge hill looking for my board so i could swim to get it. No luck :( My new board was lost.
I went to the beach picked my kite grabbed another board and started to search. Nothing. The wind after 3-4 in the afternoon changes direction and becomes more side shore and it gets gusty. So i had to go out after a lot of difficulty the kite wasn't flying properly and came out at the spot all this started.
I took my car and went to the downwind spot and i was so dissappointed. Then this british boy 6-7 years old boy comes up and told me: "Have you lost your board" so i told him "Have you found one" "There it is""I found it on the beach"
So with the board in my hands i felt like i won the lottery....!!!!
That's all.
P.S. When i was learning to kite i lost a brand new slingshot kite, come out on a small island with a pretty messed kite and snapped lines and a lot more.....!!!!!!!
Cheer up i am the winner :)

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:46 am

Livingston that is what you call some bad luck bro. Some good Karma has to be coming your way.

The other day I scratched my car bumper driving into the garage.

I had one kite that I crashed 1st time out ripped it LE thru trailing edge. Had it repaired professionally and next day out dropped it in a wave, ripped again...back for more repairs. 3rd time in the sky no crashes kite rips like wet tissue paper. Lets say I had a few words with their quality control, and will never ride that manufacuters kites again. Nice of them to offer to repair the kite for me no charge after 2 other repairs on my dime.

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 am

Was out riding an 11m Fuel, was lit on it, screw up a jump and it comes down LE first, rips the canopy in half in the middle.

Walk in, bitch around for a while, the wind dies enough for my 13 Fuel, so I go out, keep jumping, crash and the exact same thing happens, rips in half but really jagged tear across the canopy and tears on the wingtips.

Another kiter offers me the use of his kite but I turn it down, figuring that my luck is bad enough that day. Sit around, the wind picks up so I inflate my 9 Fuel and turns out it has big leaks in three struts and a 20 minute leak in the LE.

I go get drunk

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 am

MeafordBoarder wrote:Was out riding an 11m Fuel, was lit on it, screw up a jump and it comes down LE first, rips the canopy in half in the middle.

Walk in, bitch around for a while, the wind dies enough for my 13 Fuel, so I go out, keep jumping, crash and the exact same thing happens, rips in half but really jagged tear across the canopy and tears on the wingtips.

Another kiter offers me the use of his kite but I turn it down, figuring that my luck is bad enough that day. Sit around, the wind picks up so I inflate my 9 Fuel and turns out it has big leaks in three struts and a 20 minute leak in the LE.

I go get drunk
I am sorry, but this is funny as hell. That day truly is one of the top 10 worst ever (in kite boarding)
(equipment related of course)
You need to learn how to wipe out without crashing your kite. One hint: pull one side of the bar so the kite will loop , you will feel it even upside down under water. This way you know where the kite is and regain control. Works for me.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 am

Hmmm.... the "driving over a friend's board" story brings up a thought. How did you drive over the friend's board? Why was the board in harm's way to begin with?

I could see, if you put the board down, got in your car, then accidentally drove over it where you left it then it's your fault, but if someone else left the board in harm's way, it can't be your fault for running over it.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”