Gear: Waroo 2007 11 mts
Cult 2008 13.5 mts
CrossBow 2006 16 mts
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CULT 2008 and self Landing

Postby gtoppino » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:46 am

Hi guys: I've just bougth a 2008 NAISH CULT 13.5 mts.
Anybody could help me with the self Landing of this kite ? any Tips ?
Usually i'm the last one in my spot.

Thanks so much & Keep riding, :jump:

martyh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Elizabeth
South Africa
Favorite Beaches: Sardinia Bay, PE
Cannon Rocks
Gear: Naish Helix 12
2008 Naish Thorn 135

Re: CULT 2008 and self Landing

Postby martyh » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:59 am

Hi, I fly a Naish Helix 12 2008 and self land quite regularly. As long as your leash is attached to the leash attachment on the front line. I just put my kite at 12 and use my QR. the kite is then attached by the 1 line and lands ( sometimes pretty hard ) straight downwind. Then you can move towards the kite by pulling in that 1 line.

I have done it from 12 - 20 knots and have never had a problem......

Pretty simple

M

martyh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Elizabeth
South Africa
Favorite Beaches: Sardinia Bay, PE
Cannon Rocks
Gear: Naish Helix 12
2008 Naish Thorn 135

Postby martyh » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:04 am

Just remember, to make sure that there is no one downwind of you before you release and if possible it is always safer to get someone to help land. No self land is 100% safe.

tinge
Medium Poster
Local Beach: vestfjorden
Favorite Beaches: hua hin thailand, best so far.
Style: newbe
Gear: blade beast 10, naish cult 13,5 mystic harness,

Postby tinge » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Hello. i got a cult 13,5. And I always self land... this is how:
Bring your kite out to the egde of the window about 90* to one side. Then lower the kite down so the bottom wingtip are sitting on the grass/sand, then you take the front and back line to the other side( now top side) and pull in, when you take some quick steps toword the kite.
The kite should fall forward and land on its LE. And since you pull the front and back line the kite should almost be right againt the wind. :thumb:
undo the chicken loop and run to secure your kite....

like this

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Nice video!

I usually take advantage of the opportunity to practice my self-rescue, by flagging out the kite in the water close to shore. Don't let having a wet kite stop you from practicing something that everyone should do more of, anyways.

gtoppino
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Miami Beach
Style: RideStyle
Gear: Waroo 2007 11 mts
Cult 2008 13.5 mts
CrossBow 2006 16 mts

Postby gtoppino » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Wawwwww Nice replies !!
Thanks so much to all
I'm going to try each method, and i'll let you which fits best for me.

THenas again and Keep flying

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:51 pm

I always use the dog hook technique for my Cults. It works awsome as long you don't have the hook drilled into 2 feet of dry sand. I've landed my 10.5 in close to 30 knots ( = pretty darn overrigged) and it works like a charm as long as the hook sits firmly in the ground.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 pm

yup, there are three (+1) main ways to self land the new cults IMO.

1. attach your CL safety to something solid, put the kite wodn on its side, walk from cl to kite and grab it yourself. (Can be done in a loit of wind too)
2. Sourras method, leaving it on the ground and pulling the upper front line..I would be careful with this if it is really windy...if there is more wind, leave the kite higher up and dive it down, immediately when it hits the ground release and pull the upper front line.
3. If the shit hits the fan sort of...just release it to safety. If you use the suicide leash it will work like the 1.....then grab one of the lines..preferrable a front line and pull in...plan for this before going out...abd attach the kite to the front line if there is a slight possiblity that you will have to release like this, since I am assuming the winds are pretty crazy then...

+1. Walk to a pole with smooth surface, walk around it and down to your kite and grab your kite while flying it...(okay this is a joke..it can be done, but I would not at all reccomend it since if things go bad you will certainly hit the pole)..

so, as usual..test these things in low and gradually increasing winds...practice and be safe first...it is alwayus better to get someone to grab your kite....

Windfreeeek
Medium Poster

Postby Windfreeeek » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:02 pm

ALex's #1 wors for me everytime.

Obviously you need to understand what is downwind of your kite to prevent yourself from being dragged into something if hit by a large squall.... but I have been using this method to launch nad land for over 2.5 years now.

The Sigma profile really helps with this method as the straight lines allow the kite to stay put better the an older constant curve design. I make sure that the kite is depowered enough on the bar and use the stopper to keep the bar in easy reach. If you do not, you sometime find you need to stretch a little too much.

When I go to a spot on my own I actually reverse my van in and use the trailer hitch as the anchor point, the chicken loop fits right over the bulbous end and works a treat! :thumb:

Works on the 2006/07 Shockwave Boxer SLE, Helix 07/08 and Cult 07/08

If you do not have something, fill your kite bag with sand or rocks and tie the ckn loop to the bag.

Cheers

Rob

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:48 am

Windfreeeek wrote:ALex's #1 wors for me everytime.

Obviously you need to understand what is downwind of your kite to prevent yourself from being dragged into something if hit by a large squall.... but I have been using this method to launch nad land for over 2.5 years now.

The Sigma profile really helps with this method as the straight lines allow the kite to stay put better the an older constant curve design. I make sure that the kite is depowered enough on the bar and use the stopper to keep the bar in easy reach. If you do not, you sometime find you need to stretch a little too much.

for self launch I use this method in high winds, as it is by far the easies on the kite. I've been doing moreof the self launch where you just lay the kite sideways into the wind, pull one back line (the one closer to you...and up it goes. Super simple and fast, but again something that should be practices in low wind...and here it is even more important that you have full control of the variables.
The sigma profile and then way it launches minimizes the amount it slides on the sand and thus the risk for tears..

a.

Return to “Kitesurfing”