North Vegas 10m 09

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
gorilla
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Vegas 10m 09

Postby gorilla » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:29 am

Right then chaps after the success of the 08 veges with most shops selling out and even north running out- the 09 is about to be released and after the majority of us reading the 09 Pdf file of the 09 vegas with Ken Winner saying that the profile has changed ‘The main change in overall geometry is toward a more swept-back look– slightly more in the direction of a Rebel’ –

This got many of us worried and a few people tried stocking up on the 08 vegas if they could get they hands on one.

I decided to take the risk and order the 09 Vegas even thou I did love my 08 vegases.

And I have now received my 10m vegas – One of the first people to get one (Lucky Boy) yesterday 05/September, curtest of the shop I ride for Bracklesham Board Riders in the UK and they do also have 3 more left - anyhow I have already had two sessions on it in the most horrible conditions of the UK but I had to fly it.

So Please Note I am a store rider but will be as truthful and honest as I can.

So my views-

The bag is fairly similar to last years apart from the colour being white (see picture below).

And now has a strap that goes from each of the shoulder straps across the chest, so the kite doesn’t blow about if the struts are kept inflated. Also the extension pocket that you pull out if you decide to keep your struts inflated is now half mesh instead of previous years only having mesh at the top of the pocket, which will allow the kite to breath more if put away wet.

When I first unravelled the kite one of the attachment points on the kite had a card on it informing you that a quality check list has been on the kite and has been signed for this making sure that the kite has been pumped, no twists are in the bladders, length of noseline ect
See Picture Below

Firstly I pumped up the struts and there is a big improvement on the quality on how the struts are attached to the leading edge and is reinforced past the inflation point and reinforced around the strut. The kite is also reinforced along the base of the kite with the thicker material that has been used around the tips of the kites in previous years.
So my judgement the quality on the kite has improved a lot to last years kites- which were also noted by the stores who managed to get the demo one.
One thing I did notice is this year’s has a Y fifth line attachment to the leading edge compared to last Years only having a single line attachment. Don’t know if this makes a massive difference I’m not a kite designer but I though I would note this.
See Picture below

So now the leading edge is pumped up it did look alot smaller to the 08 as my friend was flying the 08 and when put next to each other in the sky, the 09 vegas looked like it had been put on steroids over the year and put on some bulk.
I decided to fly it on the setting that it came out the bag which is the freeride setting with maximum depower as the conditions was not good and its always good to see what the kite fly’s like out the bag.

So flying the kite, it did look a lot smaller with the aspect ratio on the 09 being 5.3 and the 08 being 5.4 and the projected area of the 09 being 5.4m2 and the 08 being 5.6m2. And in the air it did look abit rebel shaped looking at it straight on in the air perhaps this is because of the Aspect ratio being smaller than the 08.

I asked someone to launch me and I got a bit of interest from a few people on the beach asking what was it. One person thought it was an Evo so that shows how much the shape has changed. Bare in mind I have it on the freeride setting.

Flying the kite it did feel like it was a rebel with the way it moved through the air but I’d admit it was a worry at first. But it did seem to be more powerful through the air and was more constant so I was pleased, it did seem a little bit faster through the air as well and jumping was an ease.
The depower was very respectable when you let the bar out it didn’t flutter or stumble just sit there where you have it parked.

I was pleased with the kite and was getting tired so decided to go back and see what other settings are available especially this freestyle setting. After a few changes to the pig tails I wanted to see what changes it would make to the kite. Once launched and just parked to the side of the window the kite seemed to have completely changed shape with the kite looking more like the 08, it looked like the kite had completely changed its aspect ratio to being a lot higher. I didn’t go back out as I had had enough by then but did mess about on the beach with it with the new settings, and when I would unhook even in the gusty conditions it would just sit there at the side of the window so I was really looking forward to trying this in some decent conditions.
But in the new settings its whole shape changed which filled me up with more confidence.

The follow day (6th/September) went to the local beach conditions again not good with rain coming down hard wasn’t the best day to test the kite again, but I had to get out. So from yesterday I kept the freestyle settings on even thou it looked like I would be overpowered and was looking very dim. I went out and the kite would just sit into position didn’t manage to unhook as I was overpowered but was a joy to fly in this setting, wasn’t out for long sorry to say as the weather was dismal but I had to put it to the test. When I depowered the kite, it seemed to open up more similar to the setting to factory setting but this was when the bar was right out – but the session has filled me up with confidence and I am very tempted to buy a 7m now.

So basically I’m one happy customer despite everyone being worried about the comments made in the Pdf. I still think there are still settings to be discovered on the kite – I just need more sessions on it.

Anything else I will try and answer- Very Happy – Well done North :thumb: and to those people who said why didn’t they just keep it the same but make it better quality and why change it ect– I’d suggest ride the 09 before making any judgement.

Cheers to the store for getting me one! :thumb:

Will Try and get more photos.

gorilla
Medium Poster

Re: North Vegas 10m 09

Postby gorilla » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:23 pm

More photos of the kite - Sorry none in the air - no wind ....

ADEN
Medium Poster

Postby ADEN » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am

nice tight canopy,
You could get paid to do reviews, I wish everyone would be honest and truthfull when doing reviews,
Great review, nice looking kite too.
ADEN

Percu.org
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Percu.org » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:49 am

Would love to get a review to know more about feeling when unhooked.

Finally (my english is a bit limited), this 09 Vegas is nearly like a 08 ?

I've got a test planned on next saturday on 9m2 with Vegas 09

cramit_the_frog
Rare Poster

Postby cramit_the_frog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 pm

well let us know how it goes please!

michaelbrasill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brasil:Jericoacoara,Prea,Guriu,Malhada,Tatajuba,Taiba,florianopolis,ibiraquera...etc etc
Europe:Balearic islands,Tarifa,Canarias etc
Cabo verde,Sal
Favorite Beaches: Guriu,Malhada and Barra Grande............and some others..........but..better we keep it for our self,Right?!
Style: Freeride and SurfKite
Gear: -Kites North Vegas 2010.......7,9 and 12 Sqm
-North Fuse,Bandit dos....
-Kiteboard:RSC-Joker 2 and RSC Supreme...
-North Freestylefish
-Jimmy lewis 6.0 custom surfkiteboard
ION Wetsuits,mystic harnes,Len10

Postby michaelbrasill » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 am

Hello There.

Thank you very much for your Info about the 09 vegas Gorilla.

I am contacting you from spain and i would like to ask you about the Posibilities,Opinion to use that Kite in Waves........
(Please excuse me if my english gramma is not so good)

Since two years i am with North Rebel and the rebel from last year is pretty good.....below 10 Mtr y realy like this kite.

I would like to change this season to another kite and i have heard that the vegas 09 can be a good change.
As you said in your post...sometimes it feels or looks like a Rebel.

And i was wondering if you can give me details about what you think from the vegas for that kind of use.
Freeride and waves its my style

So i need a fast Kite,fast relaunch,turning speed etc

I have seen(Not tryed yet)the new North rebel 09.......he looks a lot like this delta shape from F-One and i am not so happy with this lazypump system.......does the new vegas have an independent inflating system?

This season i would like to change to Vegas but i do not have the oportunity to test them yet........they arrive to spain next month.

I apreciate any suggestions or help.

Thank you and great wind for all of you out there
:thumb:

cramit_the_frog
Rare Poster

Postby cramit_the_frog » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:52 pm

the vegas 08 is way better in the waves imho than the 08 rebel was/is, if the 09 is same as the 08 vegas then you cant go wrong with it... depends on style of wave riding, i like powered on the turns.. the rebel didn't have any power in the turns, the waves are usually head high and above....(today was about 3 meters high blowing 25 to biggest gusts at 33 knots and i was on my ten meter 08 vegas having a blast!) and the water i kite is in rather dense and in winter the waves are hollow....and suck right back then bomb out in sections... so a fast turning and when turning powered kite suits my conditions for that too.

i hated my 9 meter 08 rebel wasnt the same as the 07 and sold it for the vegas, best buy in kite gear i ever did..
Last edited by cramit_the_frog on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gorilla
Medium Poster

Postby gorilla » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:15 pm

cramit_the_frog wrote:the vegas 08 is way better in the waves imho than the 08 rebel was/is, if the 09 is same as the 08 vegas then you cant go wrong with it... depends on style of wave riding, i like powered on the turns.. the rebel didn't have any power in the turns, the waves are usually head high and above....(today was about 3 meters high blowing 35 to biggest gusts at 33 knots and i was on my ten meter 08 vegas having a blast!) and the water i kite is in rather dense and in winter the waves are hollow....and suck right back then bomb out in sections... so a fast turning and when turning powered kite suits my conditions for that too.

i hated my 9 meter 08 rebel wasnt the same as the 07 and sold it for the vegas, best buy in kite gear i ever did..
There you go - But PM'ed you
:thumb:

Percu.org
Rare Poster

Postby Percu.org » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 am

I finally bought Vegas 2009 7 & 12m2.

I've tested for an hour or so the Vegas 2009 9m2 just after having test my new Nemesis HP 2009 10m2.

Wind was a bit gusty, and I tested it at Leucate (thanks to Neway for this test). I love my Nemesis cause it's like my previous 2008 edition, robust, great response, huge hang time, insane jumps, the best bow kite ever I've tryed.

BUT this year, I started to make more freestyle and unhooked figure, and nearly nothing has been change on Nemesis regarding what you feel on the bar when unhooked. Like the Vegas, they are many setup on the kite (you can use AB instead of the manufactory's standard setting on AA), but it's useless for the feeling in your arm.

What I really enjoyed on the Vegas is the feeling in the bar, but in comparison to the Nemesis 10m2 , it was nearly the same thing : same turning speed of the kite during kiteloop, same depower. I'm nearly sure the Vegas doesn't have the same and long hang time like the Nemesis have, but that's not for the same rider's profil.

Sorry for my lack in english, I would be please to write a longer review, but that's hard to find good words...

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:24 am

maybe another classic c bites the dust will have to have a fly on one but looking more delta than i thought it would - what was the problem with them before?

Return to “Reviews”