painting a wave board

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
gargan
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

painting a wave board

Postby gargan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:39 am

finishing up the glassing of my first wave board, surfboard basicaly. Ive been making it at work so its been left lying around and its gotten a little dirty with people picking it up to move with dirty hands, so ive decided it needs to be painted which i wasnt originaly going to do, only problem i can see is geting the paint even on both sides. do i just paint one side and then the other like when i was putting on the fibreglass or is there some way of standing it so i can paint the whole thing in one go?

this seems especially important for the clear coat

and will automotive paint, the proper stuff that has to be diluted and mixed not the crap that comes in a spraycan, damage the resin coat

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth
Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: painting a wave board

Postby richswing » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Hey,

Quite a few surfboard makers spray their decals on with DUCO (standard auto paint) on top of the fibreglass then do a light spray of clearcoat afterwards. The other option if you have not applied your resin sanding coat is to either mix a it of pigment or tint that you get from the resin supplier's into a sanding coat before applying, you just must be careful sanding it down.

Cheers
Rich :bye:

gargan
Medium Poster

Postby gargan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:44 pm

so the paint thinners WON'T damage the hot coat ? I have loads of paint for use on metal here at work but it all has to be diluted with thinners 2:1 or 1:1 to spray evenly. no tints or pigments or id use those

my foam offcuts were throuwn on so i cant do a tester and i dont want to f*** up the board after shaping and glassing

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth
Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby richswing » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Its should not be a problem as long as you don't lay it on to thick, adjust your spray and do mulitple coats rather than 1 or 2 thick coats. I made a mini mal that I sprayed before glassing with thinners based auto paint and never had a problem as long as you don't saturate the surface is should be fine. All the board makers use thinners based paints or acrylics. I have also made a board using pigment in the resin because I cocked up the glass job and that turned out not to bad at all.

Just remember THIN COATS that dry quickly. 2 K paints I am not sure about, they are epoxy based twin pack paints and I think they take a long time to harden.

But don't blame me if you cock it up.

Another person you could email is Gavin Spowy from Cyclone boards in Durban South Africa, very helpful guy. Do a search for his website.

Happy Spraying

Cheers
Rich

gargan
Medium Poster

Postby gargan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:19 pm

thanks rich, I was terrified id start spraying and the paint would eat throught the board like Alien blood. guess theres no way to know for certain without just going for it. was planing 2/3 coats wat sand and then 2 coats of clear laquer so ill go with that

Return to “Gear Builders”