*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:25 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 1150
No, that would defeat the purpose...

Technically, the picture cutter is a de-burring tool...

counter sinks have a provision for a drill bit ( a wood screw pre drill thing)

You want a big broad shouldered de burring tool

Like the one pictured---no drill just V thing

down side, that's probably a 35, maybe 50 dollar bit...

borrow one...if you can--or just blade it, it gets covered anyway...make a dent when you glass it, and be damn sure you didn't wax the outside of your insert...wash it in acetone, scuff it with sand paper...you get the idea...


fo


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:47 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 630
What if you are manufacturing a board with inserts installed previous to laminating formica over them. How do you find the exact location to drill?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:03 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 1150
template....

butcher paper, neatness counts..

you're looking at delam problems though if you're talking wood and Formica


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:30 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 22
Location: Cranking DTL
aeberl wrote:
What if you are manufacturing a board with inserts installed previous to laminating formica over them. How do you find the exact location to drill?


Drill small locating holes through the formica before laminating . Use some flat head drawing pins or a couple of staples down the center line to locate the formica in the right place before bagging it down. Finish with the countersink bit

Make sure the inserts aren't raised at all from the core, otherwise it will create a void in the laminate .


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:49 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am
Posts: 2424
Bigger is the point!
Attachment:
bigger is better.JPG
bigger is better.JPG [ 4.83 KIB | Viewed 979 times ]

otherwise it gets the threads...


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:52 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 630
Westwaves wrote:
aeberl wrote:
What if you are manufacturing a board with inserts installed previous to laminating formica over them. How do you find the exact location to drill?


Drill small locating holes through the formica before laminating . Use some flat head drawing pins or a couple of staples down the center line to locate the formica in the right place before bagging it down. Finish with the countersink bit

Make sure the inserts aren't raised at all from the core, otherwise it will create a void in the laminate .


Actually not, I have come up with a winning combination of balsa core (longitudinal grain), S-glass and formica that has prooven to withstand even the harshest freestylers arround here. One of the most important things is to have the same formica on top and bottom and avoid any curvatures where stress concentration can happen. The only flaw in my construction is that I am installing inserts after lamination, even though it does the job, it doesn't look that good.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 am
Posts: 18
Location: Eastern Washington
OK, dumb question..

I've put wax in my tnuts and installed them. I've fiberglassed top and bottom of board and used the recommended countersink bit to get at my inserts. Now how do I get the wax out? Melt it out with a lighter? Will that F-up my fiberglass? Use a hair dryer maybe? If I just scrape it out will any residual wax mess with the threads holding tight?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:18 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48 pm
Posts: 394
hobbsla wrote:
OK, dumb question..

I've put wax in my tnuts and installed them. I've fiberglassed top and bottom of board and used the recommended countersink bit to get at my inserts. Now how do I get the wax out? Melt it out with a lighter? Will that F-up my fiberglass? Use a hair dryer maybe? If I just scrape it out will any residual wax mess with the threads holding tight?


Scrape out what you can and heat the screw. It will melt the rest and force it out. It may take a couple of attempts.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Iv.G.-Slovenia
Hi!
I'm using inserts for ski-jump skis, witht external thread!
I make biger holes and fill them with epoxy before laminating. After the board is cured I bore the holes on CNC working station with the same program as the first time, when cuting the board to shape (you have to be very precise when positioning the finished board).
When the holes are done I yust add a couple of spots of cianokol glue, just to prevent the inserts from unscrewing.
Image
Fast and easy!

BR,
Zob


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Getting at the Inserts after glassing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:15 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 30
Sure, fast and easy if you have access to a CNC machine :D


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group