Forum for kitesurfers
Bradders
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2009 Airush Choptop ??

Postby Bradders » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:39 pm

Have these boards been released yet (the green one)
Is anyone using one.
Review would be good.
from what i've heard the 2008 was a very popular board,
how does the 2009 compare ?

Vishy
Rare Poster

Re: 2009 Airush Choptop ??

Postby Vishy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey mate,

I think they should be in most shops by now.

I rode last years one throughout summer as my main board, was wicked, ended up rideing it as a twin fin towards to end for something a bit different.

Anyway the new green one seem heaps easier to control at speed through the chop(quad fins comeing into play maybe?) and rips upwind. Still nice and loose for the small stuff, quite stable as well for the dodgey wobbly jibes. Very fun board if you have weak/sloppy surf most of the time, sky hooks make the transition to surfboard easy.

Well worth a try,

Thanks
Matt

Bradders
Medium Poster

Postby Bradders » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks matt,
Good info
Will have to try and get hold of one for a demo

Kitehard
Rare Poster

Postby Kitehard » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:04 pm

I finally had a chance to get away from the admin work and went kiting this arvie to get a handle on the Protoy, Converse 6'0" and Choptop. Unfortunately I had a few kite issues and bad weather shortened my time on the water to really give each board a thorough thrashing but I did manage to put in some decent time on the 2009 Choptop.

Now let me say that I friggen love this little board! So much fun. I hated last years Choptop, couldn't stand it, but this is something else!

For a start, it is a bit weighty so it doesn't bounce around all over the place like the old one which is great. The Quad fin setup has so much bite and tracks beautifully on and off a wave.

I pulled onto a few nice steep waves and it surfs awesome with or without kite assistance. It has a great feel and is easy to ride and water start. I used the little foot hooks to help keep my feet on the board and although a little uncomfortable at first, I got used to it and actually had heaps of fun popping jumps and transitions and hopping over foam balls with the aid of a grabbed rail at times.

The versatility of the board was what got me. So much challenge, so many new avenues of fun to consider when riding and on top of that, it rides waves so well. The fins are set on a very wide angle so that when the board is being edged, they are almost vertical. This gives great control at speed and excellent bite.

I'll definately be spending a lot more time on the Choptop this season and highly recommend a demo ride if you are considering looking at getting into the waves. It's so easy to gybe with the full deck pads stuck on. Definately easier to ride than a strapped Converse if you are new to wave boards and want to try unstrapped wave riding.

Good winds,

KH

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:18 am

How is the Chop Top in lighter wind? Could it double as a light wind type board. I know it won't replace a skim board, but is it somewhere in the middle between a skim and surf board? Closer to one end of the spectrum.

It may seem like a stoopid question, but I rode this spring with a guy on a Nobile skim in double overhead waves (no barrels though) and if I was wearing a wetsuit, I would have pee'd in it.

-Droffats

Vishy
Rare Poster

Postby Vishy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:27 am

Hey mate,

You're pretty much on the money, easily doubles as a light wind fun board and wave board for average conditions. Skim boards are awesome, and obviously the choptop doesn't offer as much bottom end(but it is very close) but it's an alternative to a skimboard and a lot easier to ride, especially if you still want to ride a board that will surf well in the lighter stuff.

Thanks
Matt

Return to “Kitesurfing”