All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: NSP surfboards for kiting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:11 pm 
Rare Poster

Are NSP boards any good?
They are cheap when most surfboards specific for kiting seem to be crazy expensive.

I want a board around 6'2 that i can ride strapless, although the option would be nice.

I will be riding onshore sloppy waves and want something that will be fun and cheap but not feel like a bag of shit on the water?

Anyone out there riding one or got any other suggestions

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: NSP surfboards for kiting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 pm 
Rare Poster

i have a nsp 5'10 fish before 2 years , very nice construction , i use in strapless for litle wave or low wind
it's very easy , funnyboard , very good confort , nice for up wind ( with a foot on a midle of board )
i like this board :thumb:

for big wave i prefer a surf board with strap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 pm 
Medium Poster

ya there sweet... and tuff man!! you cant go wrong with one!!! you dont need a kite specific board!! just watch there isnt too much rocker on what ever surf board you get !!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Although they are pretty strong, like any other board, they do break if you jump them.
I am not a big fan of the ones I have tried. Felt a little like riding on glue, and they are very stiff. I might have been on boards that aren't ideal for me, but the one I have now feels like it has breaks on the tail. Might be because of the fins, and the size...
Again, I should probably give it more time. They sure do have a good price point, but I'd say I have a lot of boards I like more than the NSP's.

a.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:17 am 
Frequent Poster

Looks like Tophat still has an NSP shortboard in his quiver. Looks like the 6'2".

tautologies wrote:
I am not a big fan of the ones I have tried. Felt a little like riding on glue, and they are very stiff. I might have been on boards that aren't ideal for me, but the one I have now feels like it has breaks on the tail.
a.

:idea: He's riding them without the center fin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:11 am 
Rare Poster

Yes, NSP boards are good, though I only have experience of kiting with one in particular.
I bought the 5' 6" Fish brand new, to learn the riding strapless thing. As you say, it was a cheap option to get into riding surfboards. I found that the relative wide board of the fish style was ideal for learning and after a short time have progressed to something with a bit more performance.
For some time it was the only board I was riding, the twin tip never out of it's bag. I've ridden it hard through chop and in half decent waves, the durability is excellent. Apart from a few chips of the gelcoat, easily repaired, the only other "damage" was some indentation around the area of the front foot placement.
I have just sold the board on to someone in a similar position and have also sold my only twin tip.
My quiver of boards are now two Resin8 surfboards, a 6'1" and a 5'10". The performance of these boards are superb, superlight and fast. My waveriding has someway to go but I can really recommend the NSP as a first venture. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:06 am 
Frequent Poster

I'm taking the fish 6'0 for both surf (occasionallly, 1-4 feet) and kiting in low wind and flat or small waves. I've already used a BIC 7'3 for kiting but i found too slow (in riding) and slow on wave. Without the center fin it felt abit better but no significantly.

I should expect good improvemnts from the NSP fish? I sould start without the center fin?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:19 am 
Frequent Poster

Poldo,
I've spent a good amount of time on the bic 5'10" fish and 8'4" magnum with a kite. The fish I hated initially, until I started riding it as a twinser (no center fin), now I really like the board. Not as slow nor stiff.
I found the magnum to have too much drive for my taste, it goes upwind really well though. I find I like the magnum better as a single fin (fin all the way forward in the box) with the side fins removed.
I just got the mini-mal but have yet to try it with a kite. I'd suggest trying it with a a) single fin b) 9 cm side fins instead of the 10.5cm (thruster). c) 9 cm side fins (twinser).
I really like the bics for kiting as I don't ever have to worry about dings like I do on my other epoxy/polyester boards, very durable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:13 am 
Rare Poster

NSP boards suck! Sure, they are cheap and bombproof, but the riding qualities are terrible! They are heavy, and like the other guy said, they are SLOW.. I used to ride one and thought it was ok, until I rode a surftech board about the same size. The surftech board is half the weight, and has a livelier ride to it, but is still pretty strong. They are more expensive, but if you want a serious board for the surf, it is worth paying the extra coin IMHO....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

After spending a lot of time on my Bic 5'10" fish as a twinser, I've found a better configuration. The twinser works well on flat water. But for aggresive surf riding, I found it didn't hold an edge well enough, so upwind suffered. The stock uses 10.5 cm fins. On suggestion from Gabe Brown I put a smaller fin in the center, using a 9 cm fin from my magnum. I have 10.5 cm fins for the side fins, and a 9 cm fin as the center fin. The board rides just to my liking now. I found the 10.5 cm fin in the center to be too draggy and too stiff for my liking. The Bic fish is a fun board for strapless riding.
The minimal (thruster) works with a kite, not as much fun as the Fish, but more responsive than the magnum.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next