Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
graphik
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The ideal light wind kite

Postby graphik » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:03 pm

I've heard awesome things about the Freakdog kites and light wind. THey have always tested well in that.

For me, no lie, a 14 meter Royal Era on a 148 board in 6 knots. Upwind, small jumps (i'm not that good for the big ones yet) but the kite has some very serious pull and it was pretty stable.

b all the previous posts, there are lots of brands that perform well in light winds. See if you can test some and then decide what is best for you.

My light wind kite now is the 13 meter Royal Solo. Great unhooked and gets me upwind in 9-10 knots. The Era is the jumper though.

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 pm

graphik wrote:I've heard awesome things about the Freakdog kites and light wind. THey have always tested well in that.

For me, no lie, a 14 meter Royal Era on a 148 board in 6 knots. Upwind, small jumps (i'm not that good for the big ones yet) but the kite has some very serious pull and it was pretty stable.

b all the previous posts, there are lots of brands that perform well in light winds. See if you can test some and then decide what is best for you.

My light wind kite now is the 13 meter Royal Solo. Great unhooked and gets me upwind in 9-10 knots. The Era is the jumper though.
Get real! the only thing that mooves at 6 knots is my arm to approach the beercan to my lips. Redardless of board size or body weight, most kites will not even stay in the air at those windspeeds, much less be fun to fly.
You migh want to buy a new anemometer or perhaps you have read the data off the wrong scale. :o

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:39 am

Only with a Flysurfer Speed 2 19 and a Monster Door in such a light wind it is possible to ride! Any other pump just cannot even stay in the air. This is my personal experience and I tryed all the stuff out there! :bye:

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:31 pm

haiku wrote:Only with a Flysurfer Speed 2 19 and a Monster Door in such a light wind it is possible to ride!
Any other pump just cannot even stay in the air. This is my personal experience and I tryed all the stuff out there! :bye:
And that's the bottom line THE RIGHT COMBO , Fred is right on the target also.
In my opinion Innis is mixed up, this is an experience and perception issue,
because without a good engine how could you have a good acceleration and speed,
the low end pulling power of a kite?

Please move on and try different equipment to develop more fun in kiteboarding activity.
Trust me light wind riding is a pain of a butt without the right combo
U-C my user name, it's for a reason :!:

DrLightWind
Innis wrote:
FredBGG wrote:
abel wrote:A big flat bard is more important than the kite !
A big flat board is important, but add a really good low wind kite like the Flysurfer Speed 2 and you have a winning cobination.

The sport is called kitesurfing for a reason......the kite IS very important.
Abel is correct. A big flat board is more important than the kite.

Some folks don't want you to know this, but economically you'll get way more lightwind milage out of a big flat board than you will from a big, slow-turning, expensive kite. If money's not a problem, get the kite too (they help), but pay off your car loan and get a big flat board first.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:39 pm

Any 19m or 20m, Why do some idiots say 12 or 14M?????? those are moderate wind kites for over 12knots.
Big boards can get you riding, but the fun begins when the lift generated is more than your wt. Large kites mean
Long airtime, they move slow. Perfect for Multiple rotations etc. If your sining you d'ont have enough for fun.

thaswisskid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: f*** face
Favorite Beaches: n/a
Gear: asfadfvwsadfc

Postby thaswisskid » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:40 pm

whatever lightwind sucks, you may or maynot be able to ride but, not matter what you have or what you can do a light wind sesh just can't compare to a 15knot+ day, I rode in light wind yesterday sometimes you don't have a choice but it is a lot harder to have fun on a light wind day no matter what gear you r on.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:39 pm

Riding in light wind moving constantly little kites it's not funny. But with a big foil, traction and lift are not a problem. With my Flysurfer Speed 2 19 and Spleene Monster Door I can do in 7/8 Knots a lot of tricks like inverted back and front loop closed even with kiteloops. When the wind reachs 10 Knots the hangtime is amazing, you know, it's like paragliding! For my weight (70 Kilos) and the spot conditions (near Rome Italy) those are the definitive weapons to ride usually almost 1 day out of 4 in cross and onshore wind. I also have in my quiver two old Cabrinha Contras (19,5 and 23,5) and Cabrinha Contra 2008 14, plus Switch 12, Revolver 9. I love perfect conditions and I love medium and high wind too. But with my Flysurfer I can really ride when my friends are just talking each other on the beach. And I can assure that it's not just cruising! Needless to say, I don't use big pumps anymore in such a light wind. A big ciao from Italy. :D

thaswisskid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: f*** face
Favorite Beaches: n/a
Gear: asfadfvwsadfc

Postby thaswisskid » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 am

I definetly wouldn't mind a flysurfer, but I can't afford to sink 3 grand into a kite

Freestyler
Medium Poster

Postby Freestyler » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 am

Well, what can I say, I have the best experience with Flysurfer kites,
they have more grunt than anything out there and go upwind about
as soon as you can plane. Superb light wind kite IMO.

If you are weighing less than 200pounds, 15m Speed2 is your ticket
to low wind riding. Below is a small vid from youtube. It definitly impressed me.. :o

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 pm

So it seems that the Flysurfer Speed2 has set the standard for light wind performance (old school and free ride), but most people agree that it sucks in waves. So which kite would be the kite for light wind wave riding and free style riding?
Has naybody had any xperience on the OR Rise Venturi 15m?

Return to “Reviews”