Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What characteristics fo you look for on a C KITE?

Forum for kitesurfers
prwinds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What characteristics fo you look for on a C KITE?

Postby prwinds » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 am

Hi
Please post what you guys think make a good c kite, Im working in line with a known kitebrand and are focusing on trying to build the perfect c kite. What do you like or dont like on a kite(c shape)? Speak your mind, any input from you guys will be great.

If you have the time please fill in this super short survey, only 10 select questions.
http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurv ... 6dl7486980

Thanks!!!

I know it may sound like a waste of time to some, but by giving some input you could be taking an effect of the design of a soon to come Ckite. All info will be release in due time!

Good winds! :D :D :D
Last edited by prwinds on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What characteristics fo you look for on a C KITE?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:15 am

Just one comment - point nr 2 does not make sense :

Depower range

Short depower(hardcore riding) Aprox. 3+ kite quiver
Medium depower(balanced) Aprox. 2-3 kite quiver
Long depower(SLE/BOW like) Aprox. 1-2 kite quiver

You can design a short depower and a 1-2 kite quiver.
You can also design a long depower and having a 2-3 kite quiver.

In other words: depower distance and depower are not the same thing !

Newer SLE's dont have long depower - some has really short depower, but the same or more depower range as earlier, giving you a 1-2 kite quiver.
The same will apply for C kites, depending on the design.

So the correct questions could be something like (where all 3 are good and used choices today) :

Do you want a short depower and big range ?
Or do you want a longer/balanced depower and medium range ?
Or do you want a short depower and short range ?

On top of that, comes bar pressure as a choice - and depower range and bar pressure is not proportional - it depends on design once again :thumb:

And NO, short depower and big range is not always the best, as it is like driving a formula1 car - very difficult because the gaz pedal is too sensitive for most 8)
A balanced ratio is much easier to use, and will in most cases perform better especially in chop or small waves when you are hooked in the CL.
And way easier to adjust the trim when unhooking :thumb:

I am just saying that there is so much more to this parameter than at first glance !
On some "older" kites, depower length and bar pressure and depower range are connected very "simple". But on modern kitedesigns, there are more to it :D

Kindly, Peter Frank

prwinds
Medium Poster
Ocean Park

Postby prwinds » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:05 am

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your input! I understand what your saying and completly agree. When I mentioned long depower, medium depower and short depower, I meant the wind range of the kite and not the length of the depower rope.

The point of the "depower range" question was to see what the public was interested more in, for example:
Long Depower = 1-2 kite quiver
Medium Depower = 2-3 kite quiver
Short Depower = 3+ kite quiver

I was interested to see whether the C-kite market had a special interest regarding the depower range of a C-kite. For example:
If interested in a full on hardcore Ckite with almost no depower range, hook-in-n-go, which means more kites in your quiver to cover the different wind conditions.
Or perhaps interested in a big wind range, that will equal to that of a BOW/SLE kite. which means less kites on your quiver to cover the different wind conditions.
Or if interested in a well BALANCED feel and depower range. A feel that will take the best of both ends, and superb performance.

Thanks

Please KEEP the discussion going strong!
share your toughts!!!

If you think of any design ideas that you think really improve a characteristic of a kite, let us know! in example... if you think asegmented leading edge adds more stabiliy and a more solid feel let us know...any input will be great!

Ill be sure to make the bar really simple and clean. We have protos ready and they look really nice. Big confy wake-handle like feel.

Im pretty sure everyone will enjoy the balanced feel of a midwide-to-wide wingtip size.

The bar cleat system, Im 95% sure will be a below the bar cleating. But dont worry there will be no depower rope swinging around and stuff.

What colors options would you like to see?

good winds!

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 am

Wide wingtips, 5 line but with a four line option that doesnt allow the kite to jellyfish because of the need of a 5th line. Simple bar (most riders who are on c kites ride suicide anyway) BIG chickenloop. Very powerful kite! Mix odd and even quiver numbers to allow an easy quiver ex 7 10 14 which is really bomb. Nice for load and pop wakestyle but still quick through the loops. I'm basically telling you that Fuels and Hadlowpro's are perfect... so yeah go off that haha

bemex
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pascuales
Favorite Beaches: xametla
Style: strapless
Gear: north

Postby bemex » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:50 am

perfect Cs

vegas 06 08
rhino 06
fuel 08

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:47 am

Choosing a kite is about compromises.
I hate 5th lines as they get tangled, but I love them for relaunch.
I love a huge range in my kites but you then end up flying a bow/sle kite and you lose the c kite feeling.

Main points for me are unhooked behaviour, stability (ie doesn't fall out the sky, do stupid things after botched moves etc) and direct feedback through the bar.

Jay

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 am

Agree with alot of whats said here.

5th line capable. But not like some kites where the 5th line has to be exactly the right length by the millimiter otherwise the kite flies like shit. The 5th should be just for relaunch and possibly for some extra depower.

Very important how the kite behaves unhooked. Stable and controlable. It should not fly forward in the window but stay decently far back to give you great pop.

How the kite performes in loops is also important. Smooth yet powerful. The kite should turn around its tips and give constant power all around.

"Slack": One of the big differences I find is that bows do not give at all as much slack line after a pop trick as a C-kite does. Think of how it works after a cable? You get plenty of slack and can do for example handlespasses easily. So I want plenty of slack at a certain time point after a poop trick or loop.

The bar should be nice and clean. What would be nice is a modular concept where one can choose how the bar looks like when you order the kite. For example one can choose above/below the bar depower, large/medium/small loop, with/without donkey dick, 40,45,50 cm bar, and so on...

prwinds
Medium Poster
Ocean Park

Postby prwinds » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Great hearing all your opinions! KEEP IT GOING!

For sure this kite will be a dedicated C kite, itll all be about unhooked riding and control! This mean smooth turning, super direct response and bar feel. Solid feel in the air. The bar will be as simple as it can be while still having all safety features and good looks. We hace concepts ready and will keep working on it until we are completely pleased with every little thing.

I believe one of the most important characteristic for unhooked freestyle riders is the kites predictabilty, and not only when flying but when you miss that new trick and the lines are completly slack, its good to trust a kite and have it recover without doing weird stuff.

If you have other opinions let us know!

We will be definetly trying to push the envelope in C kites design. This means hearing to the public and end users! So keep commenting on what you definetly would want in a C kite. Well do our part!

good winds!

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Not to fast, not to slow, High AR, 5th line for water, Jumpstart system for snow or lee edge 5th line.

kito16
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marina di Grosseto
Style: Race

Postby kito16 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:57 pm

perfect C kite... for it's my Kiteloose W-Tribe

perfect in all!! Try it :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”