Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Review of SeaSpecs sports glasses

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Tor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tor » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:35 pm

If u look at the last pic u posted, it says clearly polarized on the inside of the "arm"!!!!

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Re: Review of SeaSpecs sports glasses

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:21 pm

These Seaspecs are great sunglasses... Customers love em... Carefull on knockoffs that are not polarized or frames not the same strong plastic...

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Kite Scarecrow wrote:...., I think they float too, so that is a bonus if they do... I just don’t want to try it out.
Ian
Quote from the SeaSpecs site:
SeaSpecs Float!
SeaSpecs Patented Design allows SeaSpecs to Float while enjoying your Extreme Ocean Sports!

I am sure that this claim above is misleading. I have made it certain about a month ago when my brother during kiteboarding wipe-out lost his seaspecs glasses. Although both of us comb the area we never found his glasses. Would this sunglasses float we'd find them, I'm sure.
Later on the beach speaking with fellow kiters we've learned that our friends knew already for some time - that if you let flow Seaspecs sunglasses calmly on the surface of the water they'd stay on the surface. But if you release glasses at some depth, lets say at 1 meter deep, or loose them during dive or wipe-out they would stay at approximately same depth and you have no chance to recover them.
I understand in my area - Finnish Gulf - water salinity is lower than at most seas, so water density is lower and objects in the water are less buoyant as result. But anyway advertising is misleading, because large number of water sportsmen allover the world have their sports in fresh waters and waters with low salinity.
In my opinion it is easy to make these sunglasses a little bit more buoyant, but it's Seaspecs'es job I guess.

And watch those 2-3 times forum user's posts!

winds
Last edited by eree on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitestud
Rare Poster

Postby kitestud » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Other water sunglass companies include leashes with their sunglasses, so that you are not relying completely on floatability. Silverfish and Oakley, however, the Oakley leash isn't as secure.

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Sea Specs DO NOT float.
They are great but I have lost 2 pairs due to sinking after a high speed wipe out.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:09 pm

My only complaint with my SeaSpecs is that when they're cinched up tight, they put pressure on my skin in a way that causes my contacts to pop out! If they're not cinched up, they bounce around on my nose. They just don't seem to fit my skinny face very well. Anybody have any suggestions for us skinny-faced folks?

Don

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:17 pm

works fine for me, also having lenses. I can pull it very tight, so they don't fall off. With some very hard crashes it still can happen though...but normally they swim so you can recover them, if you are not too far away and the sea is not too rough.

Cochapati
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Arendal, Oslo spots
Gear: North Rhino kites
Naish Thorn

Postby Cochapati » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:43 pm

I've used SeaSpecs a couple of years, and I'll recommend them. I use them to help
* light-sensitive eyes - extremely bright sun and scenery, low morning/evening sun
* water-sensitive eyes - reduce irritation from salt walter and irritants

I personally don't use them on cloudy days as spray tends to leave drops and salty/greasy spots on the lenses after drying. So it's a bit of a tradeoff to me.

I wear contacts. Wearing glasses protects them, altho' I very seldom loose them without.

SeaSpecs fits well under both of the helmets I've used.

headbanger393
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gorge

Re: Review of Silverfish water sunglasses vs. SeaSpecs

Postby headbanger393 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:20 pm

I have also tried silverfish sunglasses (in addition to seaspex) from silverfish.com and love them. Also, the Silverfish "Standard" pair appears identical to seaspex and is cheaper. Plus, I don't see any banner ads from silverfish.com on this forum.

newres
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pambula River and Pambula Beach, Merimbula Beach
Style: freestyle

Postby newres » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 am

There looks to be a lot of users wanting answers / reviews (like myself). I have seen a new kite search directory. I do some web design so I have done some background research. It's new, it's fresh and it looks like it is a Free Directoryfree directory to sign up to, post links, review links, write articles (this is something I haven't seen on many kite sites before).

Anyway, I'm new to kiteforum so I will have a view of the other threads and post some answers back to this one.

Any comments welcome.

PS I'm only a novice at kiting. You should see some injury pics soon.

Return to “Reviews”