Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

a future with or without kite leash?

Forum for kitesurfers

will a kiteleash be mandatory (by law) for everyone in the future?

yes
49%
no
27%
only at packed beaches
16%
not sure
7%

Total votes: 81

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

a future with or without kite leash?

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that our sport will face severe problems if we do not leash our kite. What do you think?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:25 am

i doubt if it will ever be important enough to be law. but it should be a condition of riding anywhere.

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteGlider » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:09 pm

A leash law might be too specific. Any serious problems will be countered by a general kite ban, skipping the "leash" part.

It's up to us to self regulate and insist on leashes to prevent the incidences that will directly cause a kite ban.
OR
Agreement and negotiation to implement mandatory use of leashes could be one of the ways to lift a ban for example, after the fact.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:45 pm

"KiteGlider" wrote: A leash law might be too specific. Any serious problems will be countered by a general kite ban, skipping the "leash" part.

It's up to us to self regulate and insist on leashes to prevent the incidences that will directly cause a kite ban.
OR
Agreement and negotiation to implement mandatory use of leashes could be one of the ways to lift a ban for example, after the fact.
Agreed 100%! Our local association recently advised the authorities while they established some enforceable kiteboarding laws. This means we may be able to have them simply add a leash law after the runaway kites cause enough havoc (instead of simply banning us).

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:02 am

We all have to take responsibility before it get's to this stage... remamber not all accidents are caused by no leash. As for leashes in a crowded area..... Doesn't affect me because I don't KITE in a crowded area, unless it's with other kiters. If you kite in an area teeming with swimmers then you are just asking for it... and besides swimmers around here usually clear the beach once a good onshore wind blows so if it's crowded then it's also likely to be crap.... everythings made easy :thumb:

However here in NZ the authorities seem very laid back when it comes to kitesurfing and I'm pretty keen on keeping it that way....

zgkites
Rare Poster

Postby zgkites » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:38 pm

There is no reason to not use a leash.

berna
Rare Poster

Postby berna » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:38 pm

In my opinion there should be a kind of leash that took the structure os the kite so that it wouldn´t pulled anymore. I know it sounds difficult but I allready heart my self a couple of times cause of the leash. I´m talking about the handle leash of course...

greetings from portugal

Return to “Kitesurfing”