Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!

Forum for kitesurfers
LVRob
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kyocera

Postby LVRob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:03 pm

Tom,
I tried submitting the product idea form also & received the error statement also. I think you've got it covered well. I'd say one thing we could do here is get opinions on what people would be willing to pay for a ceramic hook knife. I'd pay $30-$40 after looking at knife prices ceramic & steel. I believe they would be able to make a good profit at this price & it is less than buying a good sharpener & all that hassle. Think I'll copy this link & try sending it to Mystic they might pick up this idea.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 pm

[quote="heffe"]

Heffe,

Thanks for following through on your discovery, with the additional information.

I spoke with a technician at the Benchmade manufacturing facility, in Oregon, yesterday, and she was very knowledgeable and helpful. They are very proud of their product, and from what you say, they should be. The $50, cost of the knife, may stop a lot of kiters from selecting that knife, although, it would not defer me, if I decide that is the knife to have. But….here are some factors that need to be discussed and determined, before full hearted endorsement should be given to that particular knife.

(1) The recommendation of the technician, in order to assure that the sharpness of the knife, remains at the state, advertised in their promotional material, was that, the knife needs to be rinsed in fresh water, and lubed, after each session in salt water. I worry that this maintenance procedure will not be attended to, by the average kiteboarder. If history has taught us anything about most kiteboarders, it is that they “buy and forget aboutâ€Â

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 pm

Now this is what I'm talking about!

Suggestion from Salmonslayer, on Puget Sound Kite forum:

"There maybe money in setting up a business where you are sent a new kite knife at a chosen interval, so you do not forget or get cheap and lazy. Just go to a website select the delivery interval, knife type, address and payment info. Whamo!! no more thinking. What mother wouldn't buy this for her son on his birthday."

vasco
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vasco » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:47 pm

I haven't read the all thread but FYI my mystic Hook knife after a year still cuts fine, tested it today and i was impressed with the performance.
BTW i always rinse my knife.

Ride safe :thumb:

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:05 am

tungsten222 wrote:Anyone know of a coating suitable for that purpose?
I tried Rustoleum. No good. Someone on this thread said he uses grease with good luck. I'm planning to try anhydrous lanolin.

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:04 am

tungsten222 wrote:Spork, excuse my ignorance, but how's the viscosity of anhydrous lanolin when dry / does it dry or is it rather smeary?
It starts like a pretty thick paste or grease and stays that way.
where would I get it?
I got some on ebay
would it wash off?
Dunno. I'm pretty sure water wouldn't do it.

I was thinking of something with the viscosity of sealing wax, or maybe even sex wax would work.
If you melted the wax and dipped the blade or knife maybe. But I doubt you could protect the blade with something like sex wax applying it in the normal way.
I'll try that on one knife and let u know.
Please do. Unfortunately I threw my rusted blades away yesterday and now I'm having trouble finding replacements. When I do, I'm going to use the lanolin and wrap it in wax paper or something to keep the sheath clean.

cyoav
Rare Poster

Re: "Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!"

Postby cyoav » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm

I am comfused from the information.
What is the bottom line? I understand the a double knife is better.

It seems to me that the second or third from the top are best for me- what is the model name of these and where to buy them for europe shippment?

I have also searched for Mystik knife - but ne resulsts.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Re: "Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!"

Postby blowhard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I have a Captian Hook knife from Kitesufari
still in good shape after a few months of no maintainence

Return to “Kitesurfing”