X2 for beginners ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Adela
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Adela » Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:18 pm

Can somebody exp. make me advise why is X2 not recomended for beginners ? When you read the tests there is just words as a : stable, easy, selfrecover, not create downwind pull, etc.
All this aspects are what mainly beginners are looking for ?

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

Postby tux » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:06 pm

Well, it is very fast a little bit too fast for a beginner, and you should modify the depower cause it had a very short run, it is always power on so a begginner can be oversailed sometimes...
aloha

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:17 pm

The hardest thing when learning is water relaunching and having good safe SLOW kite control in strong wind. The X2 will turn fast and be harder to relaunch than a beginner kite. If you have mental toughness to master the water relaunching and the right mental attitute to develop your kite skills slowy before going out in high winds, you could learn on it. I you think it's just a KITE and you'll be ready to get up and ride on your second day in strong wind, then you should not buy it. Some people think kites are just a simple toy that will be easy to master. These people are idots and need beginner kites to keep from hurting themselves.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:22 am

I have X2's and have been kiting for nearly 4 years. They are not forgiving kites. Sure they are stable, but they turn very fast and then fly very fast.

If you fly an X2 through the power they generate insane power power, and it comes on suddenly. Even for an experienced kitesurfer, you have to keep very conscious of where this kite is. With slower kites, you can just jump with the kite above, and almost forget about the kite. This is not the case with the X2. For example, if a beginner slipped and fell off his board - you could easily lose sense of where the kite is, and if you have an X2 is going to hurt much more than with a slower less powerful kite and more forgiving kite. The X2 will just spin through the power and drag you very fast out of control.

Much harder to relaunch too.

I'd go for an Aero or a Toro. You will enjoy this more.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:34 pm

this year, a lot of things happened!

nearly all brands have developped a third (or second) kiteline, made for intermediate kiters.

regarding this, it is not necessary to suffer the disadvantages, a beginner / intermediate kitesurfer has when using a high-performance kite made for experienced kitesurfers.

AND:

kites like the north toro will boost you HIGHER(!!) than the X2 because of their forgiving behaviour, because the 100% exact timing a rookie in jumping lacks is necessary for a high performance kite.

windprayer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I'm kiting on lakes in switzerland
Favorite Beaches: still on my search....
Style: waves
Gear: Takoon Furia LTD 7, 9, 13 and Soul 5

Postby windprayer » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:34 pm

Plus if you feel good, you ride and fly bether/higher...

respect the power
andy

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:05 pm

you'll learn faster if you don't have to worry about dropping you kite ...

Adela
Rare Poster

Postby Adela » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:28 pm

Thanks a lot. It looks like a one voice. Nice and experienced advise. I going to forget X2. It helps such a forum. Good wind.
Aloha

Return to “Kitesurfing”