calikites
Frequent Poster
Gear: All of the gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Silver Strand State Beach Meeting

Postby calikites » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:34 am

If you haven't heard there are some access issues at the Silver Strand State Beach. There are new rules being enforced. We will be hosting a meeting at our shop on Thursday July 3rd at 7:00. State Beach Officials will be there to entertain questions/concerns. Please spread the word.

Calikites
961 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Re: Silver Strand State Beach Meeting

Postby North_Wind » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:55 am

If it helps, tell them my firm has to pick locations at which to hold its conventions each year. In Jan 2006 we chose Coronado (400 delegates came). We met then and you rented me a board (thanks) - I kited Silver Strand.

Availability of a friendly local kitesurfing beach is one of the factors I take into account in forming my own recommendation to our exec cttee as to where to base ourselves (this year we went to Orlando - local beach = Cocoa Beach/Daytona).

North Wind

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:42 pm

I have never kited there, but always thought that the Silver Strand would be a perfect place for low wind kiting. I often wondered if there would develop any issues involving the Coronado military base and blips on the radar from the kites.

Are "homeland security" concerns part of the issues to be discussed?

Or are all the issues just the normal concerns like parking, danger to other beach goers, bad behavior by "show-offs" close to shore, swimmers, etc.

Just curious...don't even live near there.

calikites
Frequent Poster
Gear: All of the gear

Postby calikites » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:58 pm

No problems with the Military, and we have been told by a few of the guys that kites don't show up on radar, weird. It isn't an issue this time of the year but in the summer the beach gets packed so they have set up a flag system where they can close the beach if they think that kiteboarding could cause a threat to public safety.

So far it hasn't been used once, but it's good that the authorities are working with us.

-Calikites

Return to “Kitesurfing”