Forum for kitesurfers
drobert9
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby drobert9 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:28 pm

Hi !
My girlfriend and I are flying to Santiago, DR 2nd week of July and then will travel to Carbrete ( Kitebeach Hotel ) for kiteboarding. Wanted to know what the best and safest way to get there would be, Bus, Taxi, etc. Any detailed info on prices to expect, reputable bus companys, reputable taxi companies, etc. If you have "been there done that" I would appreciate the inside scoop !

Thank You !

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:07 pm

Learn to speak the language PRIOR to going. They tend to and WILL rape those who can't speak it. The people there are under the impression that most americans and english speaking people in general are super rich and wealthy. The difference is incredible if you speak the language. You might go there for a month and wish to rent like a small house or shack on or near the beach. Speak the language, get house for $200.00 a month. Speak only English, you pay $450.00 a month. In general, prices are about doubled for English only speaking visitors. As far as safeest way and place, treat it as if you were in ANY third world country....be nice, courteous, smart, while remaining alert, and attentive. Watch yer own back as always.

If you need more detailed info or other, lemme know and I will tell you what I can.

Johnny
TampaBay Kitesurf
http://www.tampabaykitesurf.com

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:49 pm

La bella Marina would be the best person to answer, but a great place for DR info in general is: http://www.DR1.com There's a message board where you can find the name of the bus company with the bettter seats and cleaner windows.

I was sniffing legal, business and real estate for a while (luckily, the impulse subsided) and these message boards are perfect for local information.

...if a cab from the airport in Puerto Plata to KB Hotel is $20.US - I'd sure hate to consider the cost of a cab from the otherside of the country!? You stuck with thses tickets? Fly into Puerto Plata if not.

Be polite and brush up on your Spanish. You'll be a guest in the DR and they respond well even to weak attempts as the previous writer indicated.

It's a helluva nice place to go. You'll have a wonderful time. Cheers.

Jim
UP

drobert9
Rare Poster

Postby drobert9 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:37 am

Thanks, Johnny and Jim for your valuable and important info. I will take your advice. It's nice to get an opinion from other people.

Dave

Return to “Kitesurfing”