Emma
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Postby Emma » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi

My boyfriend and I are looking to go to Mexico in December (1st week) and have found some reasonably priced packages to Playa Del Carmen & nearby area.

We dont really want to hire a car so are looking for a hotel where we can kitesurf straight from the hotel beach or within walking distance.

Does anyone know of any hotels where you can do this? (we are looking for a little luxury - All Inclusive 4* or above so unfortunately the Uolis Nah Jungle Hotel wouldnt meet what we're after).

Hotels we have found deals to so far are the Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda, the Catalonia Riviera Maya ,the Bahia Principe Riv Maya and the Sandos Caracol Bch - has anyone been here, can you kite from the hotel?

Thanks
Emma

texasboarder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas City, Galveston, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: Free Riding
Gear: Slingshot

Re: Kitesurfing in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Postby texasboarder » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:37 am

Emma,

I stayed at the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda for about a week during this summer. Their beach access does not have any space for launching. I took a trainer kite while I was there and even that was hard to fly there. I actually had to walk outside their beach area to get just enough space. The shallow water was all stone at the bottom so that wasn't very fun. You might wanna check some hotels or resorts right next to tulum or xu pah. I have heard that's a pretty good spot where u can just walk out your door and ride.

Good luck,

Alex

superpedro
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo beach
Style: Crappy
Gear: Wainman kites
North select
Slingshot celeritas

Postby superpedro » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:53 am

i've been arond the area few times ... and think you will better off going either to Puerto Progreso that is north of playa del carmen or go to the nice boutique hotels at Tulum... in tulum you will get miles and miles of empty beaches, nice sandy beaches with very little stone or rubbish and enough space for launching.... plus you can always hook up with Marco at http://www.extremecontrol.net also in tulum you get a small swell.

The only problem in some of the all inclusive is that they have a very shallow reef in front of the hotels perfect for snorkeling and diving killer on your feet for kitesurfing.. if you checkin google earth you can see how the color of the water is all patchy 'cause the reef....

p.

nesterg
Rare Poster

Postby nesterg » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:59 pm

I stayed at Iberostar resort in Playa Del Carmen. (I think there may be 2 Iberostar resorts there, you want the southernmost one) I did not actually kite there because my kite was in for repair at the time of the trip but it looked good.
There is only one resort south of Iberostar and you can just walk across their beach and then you get to a section of wide open beach, no resorts, hardly any people, side on winds. Looked to be perfect for what you are wanting.

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Head for Tulum instead.... you can stay at hotel on beach, and kite there.
Wind is also more regular here, and tis only about 2 hours down from Playa...

joao77
Medium Poster

Postby joao77 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi how many kiting days do you think we can have in the firts week of january?

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:48 pm

Le spot a playa del carmen meme est Coco Beach, a 200 metres au nord de Grand coco bay resort. 10 mn en marchant sur la plage du centre ville.
C est l endroit reserve pour lancer les kites.
Le vent rentre de NE a SE.
Possibilite de prendre des lessons, ou louer du matos avec l ecole EH kiteboarding.
Check : www.flysurf77.com. Certifications IKO.
Quand le vent est N, en general baston, excursions a Isla Blanca, 1h30 nord de Playa del carmen.
Flat, 20 a 35 noeuds, 1m/1m50 de profondeur.
Bon vent!
Last edited by Flysurf77 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma
Rare Poster

Postby Emma » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''

Postby perroloco » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:37 am

In Playa Del Carmen you can only Kiteboard in "Coco Beach". Coco Beach is North from Playa Del Carmen. Your best bet is staying at "Las Palapas". Why? Because it is the last hotel north of Playa Del Carmen. The rooms are bungalows and you really feel like you are in a virgin island or something like that. You have air conditioning ect. By staying in this hotel you will walk the least.
Just for the record I would like to inform you that Tulum is not 2 hours away. It is 40 minutes away.

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:40 am

perroloco wrote:In Playa Del Carmen you can only Kiteboard in "Coco Beach". Coco Beach is North from Playa Del Carmen. Your best bet is staying at "Las Palapas". Why? Because it is the last hotel north of Playa Del Carmen. The rooms are bungalows and you really feel like you are in a virgin island or something like that. You have air conditioning ect. By staying in this hotel you will walk the least.
Just for the record I would like to inform you that Tulum is not 2 hours away. It is 40 minutes away.
man, you walk fast...... :wink:

Return to “Travel”