Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice needed: BIC 6'7" vs NSP fish 6'4" (strapless)

Forum for kitesurfers
?uest
Rare Poster
Style: surf
Gear: naish haze 2007 and a 12 North vegas 2005
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Advice needed: BIC 6'7" vs NSP fish 6'4" (strapless)

Postby ?uest » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Hello,

As a novice I would like to have some advice from the waveriders amongst you! I want to use a pop out surfboard for kitesurfing. Now I have the possibility to buy a secondhand BIC 6'7" shortboard and I'm in doubt wether I should do it or not. I would like to use it as a strapless light weather board in combination with my Vegas 12.

What I'm looking for in this board is not really a perfect wave board, I just would like to put a more 'surfier' feel into my kitesurfing. Just cruising, carving and riding the occasional wave you know the deal...

1)What do you guys think of this board? Is the shape ok? And what about the size? Is it responsive enough or to slow? I know smaller (6'4" or so) would be better but I would also like to use this board for regular surfing and since the Belgian surf isn't all that I would be better of with a slightly bigger and more stable board.

2) Is this board controlable in combination with my vegas 12 in lets say 11 to 16 knots or is it to much power?

3) An other board I had thought of was the NSP fish 6'4". I read some good feedback about this board for kiting on this forum. Can anyone tell me how this board would differ in ridingfeel or performance in comparison with the BIC shortboard?

Thanks for your advice! (and sorry for the sometimes poor english)

Laterz,
Philip
Attachments
index.php2.jpeg
NSP fish
index.php2.jpeg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
index.php.jpeg
BIC shortboard
index.php.jpeg (20 KiB) Viewed 4077 times

?uest
Rare Poster
Style: surf
Gear: naish haze 2007 and a 12 North vegas 2005

Re: Advice needed: BIC 6'7" vs NSP fish 6'4" (strapless)

Postby ?uest » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:23 pm

And what about the rails of the boards. I heard the shortboard will have a sharper rail with is better for kitesurfing...

Skyway Scott
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skyway Scott » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:39 pm

?uest,

I am no pro in this arena, but... I have been riding strapless boards for about a year and try every board that my friends will allow me to (that makes maybe 25 boards).

I can say that I was able to try the 6.0 NSP fish (slightly smaller than the one you mention) and that I really enjoyed the ride for small/medium waves. The board carved really nicely and felt very nice. I can't see you being overpowered in it in 20 knots, not with the right size kite.
In terms of light wind, my buddy that let me demo it (thanks Chase) weighs about 190.
He uses the board as a light wind board with no problems.

I know that's pretty limited info, but it is better than nothing, (right?).

The NSP also seemed pretty tough. I am somewhat surprised more people haven't mentioned that board. Anyway, definitely not a pimp post, just the truth. I am considering buying the 6" NSP right now and trading in my 5"11 Jimmy Lewis Fish for it. I enjoyed the NSP much more. It felt like a more natural and loose carver, compared to the JL Fish. Also, the NSP "stays stuck" to the water much better (when heading out over the waves). My Jimmy is so fast and has so much volume/surface area in the tail it wants to get airborn.

Anyway, hope that helps, even if only a little.
I don't think the NSP will prove to be a total dog or waste of money, is what I am saying.
Is it the best board in the world?, doubtful, but you were asking if it would work for kiting... hell yeah. :thumb:

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:28 pm

?uest,
Riding a strapless surfboard is so much fun. I haven't tried either of those boards. I've looked at the NSP in the shop and they look nice and the price is right. Fish are good starter boards. You'll find the width to be extra forgiving for learning jibes. The wide tail is good for ollies. The shortness compared to a longboard, gives a more responsive ride. You want a hard rail in the tail. If comparing two boards, I'd go with the one with less tail rocker and a longer flat section in the middle of the board, for better low end.
I've ridden the 5'10" Bic fish and the 8'4" Bic magnum with a kite and they are both fun boards. I changed the bic fish to a twinfin and removed the 2 side fins off the bic magnum so now the boards ride faster, with less drag. I just picked up the 7'3" bic mini malibu but have yet to try it with a kite. I've been wanting to try the bic 6'7" as that size will fit nicely in my car. Despite being a popout, Bic puts a lot of thought into the overall shape of their boards, with an overall design emphasis on fun and ease of use. The plastic exterior I find to be very suited for kiting, it will surely outlive my kite quiver, and the price is right. The resale value of these low priced boards is good too. I don't think you'd find either a Bic (at least the ones I've tried) or a NSP to be a total dog nor waste of money either.
Theres a good list of strapless boards at losethestraps.com

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi, I'm 66 Kg and last year I've used my 7'3 bic (I'm an occasional surfer, only 2-3 feet waves) strapless as low-wind board to learn go strapless with kite. It's quite easy (more than I thought) to go upwind, the board is really forgiving and tough (the costruction is he same as 6'7 bic) BUT the board is quite slow (easy plane but no speed) and VERY slow to turn. Tryed without the central fin and turn a bit better but not significant improvements.

I've started now to use it even with small waves in a beachbreack ( difficult but very funny!), and I've been searching something faster than the 7'3, so I've recently bought a fish 6'0 NSP.

I tought that NSP was almost like ACS Bic but I have to say it's very different. It's very lightweight, stiff, with a nice pad (very useful for kite) and better asymmetrical fins. It "sounds" like a normal surfboard but more tough. I tried the new baby only 1 time with very low wind (it planes fast) and it's very agile compared to the 7'3, it a bit more difficult to stand up but then go faster and carve nice (but at now I haven't tryed in really waves)

Here by now is my experience, here the water season is amost finished, I'll have more feedback next year.

so, for that I know now I would go for the NSP fish 6'4, it should be a good combo with your Vegas 12 in a 10-16 knots range!

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:54 am

I haven't tried the NSP fish but I bought the 6'2" NSP thruster and I'm SHOCKED at how fun it is!

They are on closeout right now and you can't beat the price. I also ride the LiquidForce 6'2" Quad which is an amazing board, but I can't believe how much fun per dollar spent the NSP is. It's a really stiff and dead board when you paddle surf it, but that's not so much of a problem when kiting. I have no concerns trying new things with this board as it's as close to bulletproof as you can get, and really, if I mess it up, I can still buy 2 more before getting close to the price of a production kite-surf board.

Tophat even rides them! That's a good enough review for me.

The fish will probably plane faster and will be easier to jibe with it's width. Personally, I don't need anything bigger than the 6'2" thruster. If I can't ride that board, it's too light for me to actually surf waves.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:16 am

Kermit,

Where are the NSP boards on closeout? Thanks. :)

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:44 pm

any other suggestion?

anyone tried the NSP fish 6'0 and 6'4 side to side (not only kite, even surf)

panic
Medium Poster

Postby panic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Hey, I know this thread is ancient news, but I was recently on vacation with my kites, and tried a Bic 6'7 and a NSP 6'0 Fish rental boards back-to-back, so I thought I'd contribute my thoughts for any future googlers who stumble across this thread.

I thought the Bic was better on the wave face itself, but it did not go upwind as well as the NSP. The NSP was a hoot, but was harder to bury the rails in a hard turn. So if you have the luxury of doing downwinders, go for the Bic; if you need to stay upwind, I had more fun on the NSP.

The Bic is about as stiff is a wet noodle, and I swear I could feel the thing hogging between my feet. Once I was on the wave face though, I genuinely had fun. I was able to turn it hard, it was surprisingly easy to hang onto in the whitewater, and I rode out of several roundhouse type turns that I wasn't expecting to. The only problem was, I had to really work to make the thing go upwind. That was frustrating, as I'm used to surfboards zipping upwind without even trying and I felt like I was wasting valuable wave riding time.

The NSP felt more buoyant, stiffer, and faster, which helped its upwind capabilities I'm sure. I had way more fun not having to work to stay upwind. It's corkier than the Bic, which on the wave face made it harder to bury the rail in turns. I also found it harder to drop in, and it didn't seem to ride out of foam balls as well. But I was also able to ride way more waves because I wasn't wasting a bunch of time on big tacks to get upwind.

So yeah, given the opportunity to rent those boards again, I'd go for the NSP unless I had the means to do a long downwinder, in which case the Bic would be the rental weapon of choice.

ankers
Medium Poster
Gear: BRM

Postby ankers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:07 am

I agree with Panic. I have a bic 6'7. It goes early but bad upwind performance, I think.
Too much rocker on the back? I was out on 12m and in wind 11-14knots. My friends went upwind well on a north contact. I just managed to stay where I was, not going upwind.

But once on a wave (even the samllest one), you ride it (and not the kite), this is the advantage. It is indeed a very slow board, but that doesnt bother me (compared to naish global).

I would say:
minus: upwind
positive: able to catch anything that looks like a wave

good luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”