Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

1 kite quiver question

Forum for kitesurfers
dr.
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere West
Favorite Beaches: Silverstrand, Ireland.
Lahinch, Ireland.
Enniscrone Strand, Ireland.
Style: Freestyle / Waves
Gear: North Vegas 2008 10m.
Nobile 666 2008 132x41
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

1 kite quiver question

Postby dr. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:09 am

:) hi, is anyone using just 1 kite with a combination of 2 boards and 2 sets of lines? i would be inetrested to know what size & model of kite, what 2 lengths of lines have you set up and what 2 boards you are using? finally what conditions & wind range does all your gear cover? i know this is such a broad question but just interested to find out.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 1 kite quiver question

Postby Pike » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:37 am

if you have one kite, you don't have a quiver....you have a recipe for disaster.

whatever kite lines or boards you have you will only extend your wind range by around 5 8 mph either way.

The real problem is you will start to use the kite in wind conditions which the kite is not built for. At the bottom end you will find your kite dying on you away from the beach...the worst is that you will try to fly your one kite in winds which are too strong, no matter how short the lines or small the board and will pay dearly.

You'll say that you won't but you will cos everyone else is out and your standing on the beach...

just a bad idea alround dude...

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:41 am

I use a 12m Thruster (08) in winds from , kite just able to stay in the air, to 30+mph (which is almost dangerous)(I do that, when it got windy while kiting , otherwise I would be on my 8 from 25mph)
Boards: 128x39 UG, 5.8 UG FreeWave, and an old strapless NRG 5.8 for those super lame light wind days.

To answer your question, a 12m Hybrid kite is the way to go (for a 1 kite quiver)
But, get 2 kites if you can. 8 and 12

And yes, it's not a good idea to think you will be safe with changing your line length. If it is blowing 30 + , and you are on a big kite, the kite will have absolute crap control with short lines and you will get hurt.
Get a new 12m, and an used 8m , both with their own bar/lines. Spend the extra cash. There is so much kick ass used 08 gear out there for cheap.

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:37 pm

A one kite quiver is possible, provided you only go out in winds that will work for your kite. Also the size of the rider makes a huge difference. A 130 lbs rider can probably get away with using a 10m kite for everything accept really high winds while a 200 lbs rider will definitely need more than one kite.

I have settled on a 2 kite quiver, 12m and 8m, with 4 boards. To do this I have to make some sacrifices on the low end, i.e. nothing less than 12 knots.

For me it is all about the money. If I was rich I would own a quiver of kites and boards that would take a large truck to carry around but alas I am a poor working man and must make due with what I can. In that past I had a 4 kite quiver but found that the maintenance and replacement costs to keep the quiver up-to-date were too high so I went down to 2 kites and got a SUP to use when the winds are light.

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Agreed, one kite with several boards will work within a given wind range. For example, I'm 150 lbs. I put just over 100 sessions over last year on a 12M Rebel in winds from 8 - 22 kts. Used 3 boards, lightwinds Nobile 666 EXT, 139X46, medium wind Underground Flex 132, higher end winds custom 129X33. Forget the short lines, as has been said 12M with 20m lines handles like crap. Over 25kts you pretty much have to go for a smaller kite, 8m is a good size.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:47 pm

I rather would suggest two kites and one board. This way you will have a much wider range.

But if it comes down to money, the two board option makes a difference. But not as much as the advantage you will have with two kites.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Toby wrote:I rather would suggest two kites and one board. This way you will have a much wider range.

But if it comes down to money, the two board option makes a difference. But not as much as the advantage you will have with two kites.
Agree here :thumb:

A two kite quiver will give you way more range than a two board one kite quiver !

Of course, when you HAVE a two kite quiver, the next step could be two boards to extend, but also to make it VERY fast and easy to change range, which you will appreciate a lot in the long run :D

Forget about the lines... Means almost nothing, really - just use one standard length and you'll be fine :thumb: Almost nothing to gain here, compared to boards and kites IMHO :o

Kindly, Peter

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm

dr. wrote::) hi, is anyone using just 1 kite with a combination of 2 boards and 2 sets of lines? i would be inetrested to know what size & model of kite, what 2 lengths of lines have you set up and what 2 boards you are using? finally what conditions & wind range does all your gear cover? i know this is such a broad question but just interested to find out.
I would use a 10m Freak Dog Vicious with 27m and 23m lines and my boards would be a 138x40 TT and a 6'2" directional. That would pretty well cover me in the 12mph - 30 mph range. Pretty good range!

This is equipment that I actually have. I do have other kites to hit the sweet spot for sub-ranges in that bigger range, but I could make do with that one equipment mix if I had to. The wind ranges I mention include gusts!!!.... do not assume that a kite with a top end range of 30 mph can handle an average wind of 30 mph... the stated range includes gusts.

srod
Medium Poster

Postby srod » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:40 pm

I have been using a 10m OR Rise Venturi as a 1 kite quiver with a 128x38 TT and then a 5'8 Underground Freewave - this has worked fine, we rarely get high winds around the 30's and over and when we do it's usually cold gusty and horrible so kiting doesn't interest me. But for fun comfortable sailing from very low teens to high twentys this set up worked great. I recently got a 6m Rise - mainly to extend the useable range of the Freewave, not my overall wind range.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19 am

BullsShit.com wrote:I use a 12m Thruster (08) in winds from , kite just able to stay in the air, to 30+mph (which is almost dangerous)
12m at 30+mph (i.e. 26 knots).
I do not call this "almost dangerous". I call this suicide.
I start with my 9m Xbow at 18 knots and I am 92 kg.

I would recommand as previously stated 2 kites and 1 board and you cover the main
range (except the very low wind for wich ou need a third kite and/or a second board).

Return to “Kitesurfing”