Rare Poster
Local Beach: Boundary bay, and La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo 2009 Rise Kites & Zen Board

Postby pointmike » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:18 am

La Ventana 2009

I 've been checking out the new Ocean Rodeo gear for 2009.
And to be to the point it is impressive.
The Rise 14 and 10m that I've been riding have more range then I've experienced in 3 years of riding the Best Nemesis or Waroo I had best kites since 2006.
Bottom end seams similar, but top end is huge probably 20% better then Nemi 2008
Construction is OR standard tough, great leading edge seam laps, one pump inflate tubes are covered in neoprene for sun protection, briddle deflectors built in even briddle holding velcro and self rescue handles, all built in. WoW. Oh, did I mention crazy fast turning speed, even the 14 blew me away.

The power & depower is also much smoother. More predictable and simply makes you a better rider instantly.
Also having a bar with power / depower setting below the bar rules. it is on the fly with ease adjustment, I will never go back to reaching for a dangling depower strap. No down side that I have experienced, both fully depowered or max power setting. I read for years coming from companies that had above the bar depower straps of the negatives of below the bar adjustment, but as far as I can see its bull.
It's a much more enjoyable experience & not to have to decide if you should give your kite max power potential or depower it at the kite as you are setting up.
Below the bar power trim give you unlimited power or depower without having to put down the kite and change knot settings.

Re, the 2009 Ocean Rodeo Zen 135 x 41 - At first I though the width would be too much to handle big winds and I would have this ride for marginal days of 13 to 19mph range. But Ocean rodeo has come up with a board that beautifully handles 13 to 30.
Coming from a stiffer 132 x 37 as my shortest board, The Zen with its added flex has replaced My small, med and big board. not the biggest door style board of coarse.
The Zen also has huge pop, and goes upwind effortlessly. Hard sharp rails, flex tips and bomber construction put the icing on the cake.

Thanks Ocean Rodeo, and Bellingham kiteboarding, the product should sell itself.
Pointmike
Last edited by pointmike on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo 2009 Rise Kites & Zen Board

Postby Miltsface » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm

PM, I'm planning to purchase a couple of rises. Demo's just aren't available where i live. I'm 180 lbs and ride an FLX 138x41. I'm currently on 7/11/15 Warroos, but almost never ride the 7 here (UT). I'm thinking of getting the 10 & 14, and just keeping my 7 for those few days i need it. A lot of reviews have raved about the low end on the rise and said the 8/12 combo is all you need. We have a lot of days in the low-mid teens, so my 15 is my most used kite. Your thoughts on sizing? Thanks.

pointmike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Boundary bay, and La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana

Postby pointmike » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi Milt,
Going from the 15 Waroo any year to the 14 Rise, will be such a huge upgrade, why not get that extra bit of low end. Although what you've heard appears to be correct the whole line of rise kites have the best of both worlds, Best in class low end and unreal top end. This line up of kites is the we've been waiting for.
By the way the 10 and the 14 have a clear overlap of wind range, I've made it my job to test this specific point out over the last 2 weeks. same board all conditions. My findings were clear, so it comes down to your weight , riding style, board size and local winds. Almost impossible to go wrong if you have 2 boards

Enjoy
Pointmike

H2orockett
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby H2orockett » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:11 am

At 180lbs, the 10/14M combo should be a good choice. I'm 140lbs and the 12M Rise is as big a kite as I need. The Zen boards are a great addition. The 129x39 Zen is my favorite board.

Aloha,
Jeff

Return to “Kitesurfing”